Advice on getting from Oreoi in Evia to Volos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Greece at the end of June to early July for about 20 days. I will be traveling from Athens to Oreoi in Northern Evia by bus for a retreat. After the retreat, I would like to go to Meteora and then Delphi, preferably by bus or train. I've learned that I can easily take buses or trains from Volos to Kalambaka via Larissa, but I am having problems figuring out how to get to Volos. I think the route I need to go is via the ferry from Agiokampos to Glyfa to Volos. I maybe able to take a taxi from Oreoi to Agiokampos, take the ferry, and then a bus from Glyfa to Volos. I'm hoping, however, that someone may have a suggestion on a better route by public transportation.

I'm also wondering whether it maybe simpler to take the bus back from Oreoi to Athens, and then make my way to Meteora from there. It just seems like too much backtracking. Any advice?
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 04:18 PM

I think it would be faster to go from Glyfa to Lamia ( there should be a local Ktel bus ) and take the Ktel bus to Trikala from there.

I looked at the website of KTEL Fthiotis to find the itinerary, but it is not listed there, although i am pretty sure it exists.
I will call them tomorrow to find out
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

clausar, thank you for the information. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

I've been trying to find more information on bus routes but the Ktel Evia bus website is in Greek and difficult to understand.

I've been thinking about this more and wondering if I take the ferry from Aidipsos to Arkitsa, whether transportation is more readily available from Arkitsa to Lamia.

I'm also considering the possibility of taking a bus to Chalkida (Halkida) and taking the train to Kalambaka from here. There are two train changes.

Renting a car one way is expensive and I really want to consider all other options. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 10:51 PM

There will be a bus in the early morning in the Summer from Glyfa to Lamia, from where you will be able to take the bus to Trikala ( shoulkd leave at 10 am, while the bus from Glyfa to Lamia is at 7 am)

This would be the fastest way to get to Trikala and from there to Kalambaka.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

@clausar, thanks so much for the information. Unfortunately, I will be in Oreoi after noon on Sat., July 1. I won't be able to get to Glyfa by 10 am. Do you know if there's a later bus?

If not, I've learned that there's an Athens to Lamia bus that stops at Arkitsa (crossroads?) A possible alternate route is taking the bus from Oreoi to Arkitsa (I think that's possible?) and the the bus from Arkitsa to Lamia. Would that work?