Bus From Lugano to Basel / Freiburg?

Aug 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Bus From Lugano to Basel / Freiburg?

Does anyone know that is there a BUS from Lugano to Basel or Freiburg? I have to go to from Lugano (at least Milano) to Basel/Freiburg on 24th August, but i didn't any cheap train ticket. Train ticket is Lugano-Freiburg 85 Euro.

Thanks in advance.
Aug 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM

As I understand the Swiss transport system if there is a train going to a town then there are no buses. So I would think that you will have to by train. If anyone knows anything different then I stand corrrected
Aug 10th, 2012, 01:28 AM

You're correct, tipsygus. And why would someone think a bus is cheaper?
Aug 10th, 2012, 01:29 AM

There is definitively no bus where there is a train in Switzerland. You can find itinaries and all other information about public transport (including fares) for Switzerland on www.sbb.ch/en (Lugano - Basel SBB = CHF 41.- one way) and for Germany on www.bahn.de = EUR 16.40). It will be cheaper than you mentioned in your post.
If you would like to know how much the whole trip would be, you would need to fill in the form and to forward it to SBB. I is no problem to buy your tickets ones you are in Switzerland.
pore
Aug 10th, 2012, 03:23 AM

Eurolines.com has several bus services from/to/thru Switzerland, but none that fits the Lugano-Basel or Freiburg itinerary.
You can take the bus from Milan to Freiburg, though. But the rack rate is €91 so you won't save anything.

You can buy the whole train trip on sbb.ch, though.
Just watch out that you pick the "correct" Freiburg, as there is also one in Switzerland. Freiburg (Breisgau) in Germany is probably where you want to go.
The whole trip gets indeed calculated at CHF 102 which is € 85. So OP has probably already tried this.
As you may need to change in Basel anyway, it may be cheaper to get the Lugano-Basel ticket via sbb.ch for CHF 41 and buy the ticket for Basel-Freiburg via bahn.de
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your answers. I have also checked SBB and DB. My point was this: On SBB website the price for Lugano-Basel is written 41 CHF by default, reduced ticket (Reduce ticket: half- fare travelcard or -16 years). So, I understand that the real fair is 82 CHF for an adult. So I am doubtful about the real price for an adult.(41 CHF or 82 CHF?)

Also I understand that there is no hope for a bus at this line with cheaper price.
Aug 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM

I'm afraid that you were smarter than me.
In fact, SBB.ch gives by default the reduced fare, and not the regular fare that you would have to pay, i.e. 82 CHF.
This makes the international ticket that will cover the whole trip from Lugano to Freiburg (at around 102-105CHF) the "cheapest" way to travel. Or at least as expensive as booking the legs seperately thru sbb.ch and bahn.de
Aug 12th, 2013, 12:47 PM

just to say there is a once weekly bus service that goes via basel and Lugano though if its of use i dont know.

www.saf.ud.it gets you the pdf timetable.

cheers
Aug 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM

Good catch, justpassingby!

It runs on Thursdays, all the way from Tolmezzo via Udine and Venice-Mestre and Milan into Switzerland where it stops at the train station of Lugano, departing at 13:15. It doesn't go to Freiburg, but to nearby Colmar where it arrives at 18:00.

If you fall asleep, you end up in Charleroi at one in the morning...

This is the actual timetable: http://www.saf.ud.it/cms/data/pages/...urce4_orig.pdf

I don't see pricing - you'd have to email them I guess.

As I'm inputting the train on sbb.ch from Lugano to Freiburg (Breisgau) Hbf (there is another Freiburg, in Switzerland), for a one-way journey for someone between ages of 26 and 59, on a randomly chosen date of August 23 at 07:12, it comes up as regular fare 105 Swiss Francs, and a promotional offer (no refunds, no changes, more conditions in the small print) for 36 Swiss Francs.

You could do this entire trip by postal bus, but it would take forever since they are not long-distance services but rather coaches connecting valleys and towns in a regional manner. See www.postauto.ch