What to buy in Basel?

Sep 28th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

What to buy in Basel?

Hubby is leaving for a last minute trip to Basel in a couple of hours. He tries to shop when visiting a new city - as is Basel. What are the key things to send him shopping for???? Watches, chocolate? We have teenagers, I collect Christmas Ornaments and of course, we all have a major sweet tooth or is it teeth?? Thx
Sep 28th, 2003, 01:25 PM

cmeyer54,

As far as your sweet tooth is concerned, Basel is best known for "Basler Leckerli", which are small gingerbread-like concoctions.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Sep 28th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks - I'm trying to compile a list to send over -
Sep 28th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Sep 28th, 2003, 05:02 PM

get romantic and have him buy you some Hanro (made in Switzerland) lingerie.
Sep 28th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Very famous chocolate shop in Basel (I forget the name, but your hubby's business associates will know), but very expensive. We love the bread in Basel and we think the coffee is the best. I know they don't grow it, but they roast it great. I also use Louis Widmer face cream bought in the upscale pharmacys there.
Sep 28th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

excellent options - I've also heard there are some awesome bed linens over there.
Sep 28th, 2003, 09:48 PM

Basel is a wonderful shopping town!! Although there are many wonderful stores on the smaller streets around Basel, he will find it easiest to concentrate on the central Marktplatz area.
Best chocolates in town can be found on the Marktplatz at Schiesser, a small, family owned chocolate maker. There are some luscious gift chocolates molded in the shapes of Basel's medieval buildings, like the cathedral and the town hall. Milk or dark chocolate, doesn't matter, they're both great.
Globus, an upscale department store, has an incredible food market on its main floor and basement. In the basement, pick up a bottle of the pear liqueur (not the eau de vie) from the Etter distillery (Etter is a small distillery from Zug, between Zurich and Luzern). The frosted bottles are very attractive, FYI. A small glass of the liqueur is a perfect partner to your Schiesser chocolates.
The top floor has a great selection of bed linens, arranged more or less by color. Their house brand towels are fab quality, the colors are terrific and the prices are reasonable. If you have a king size bed and want a duvet, get the largest size (220 by 240 cm? I'm guessing here, our duvet is in storage)
Other Basel specialty items include pewter and other ornaments depicting the "cliques"--the costumed groups that make Basel's Fastnacht celebration so amazing.
Anchoring another corner of the Marktplatz is yet another department store, although the focus is housewares, not clothing. On one of the upper floors is a good collection of Swiss glassware. Also a nice bedding department.
The Basel old town is a delight. Make sure he takes photos or buys postcards!

Sep 29th, 2003, 12:40 AM

cmeyer54:

Make sure your husband seeks out Johann Wanner's on Spalenberg. It's the store with an incredible selection of knicknacks. He carries an unbelievable selection of christmas ornaments and provides them for "official" christmas trees around the world (one year he fitted out the tree on "Dallas").

Make also sure he stocks up on Basler Läckerli at "Läckerli Huus"; they also carry other sweets..

Phil.
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

All great ideas - I've sent them over and we'll see what comes back! Thanks so much -
Sep 29th, 2003, 03:48 AM

Re bedlinens, in Switzerland, they seem to use a large rectangular bed pillow instead of or in addition to the more common 75 cm by 75 cm square European bed pillow. Remind your husband to check the pillowcase sizes before he buys. It's not hard to find the standard square European pillow in the U.S., but I don't remember seeing that big (and comfy!) rectangular pillow on sale anywhere.
The German and Swiss bedlinens are terrific. You can find richer, more vivid colors than we've seen with more widely known French bedlinen brands.
Sep 29th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Just remembered....Handro factory with GREAT OUTLET is very near Basel. I don't know if a husband could make selections but I bought nightgowns and even better sleeping knit teeshirts for the most amazing cheap (!) prices. The knits sell for $80 here and I got them for $6. I bought all they had. In fact, I bought everything I could possibly use for the next 10 years.

Search this Thread