Reload this Page >

Buci Latin/Paris for Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Jennifer

Hi there. We will be spending three nights in Paris at the tail end of our August honeymoon. (The rest will be on the Amalfi Coast.) Based on reading through here, I found out about the Buci Latin and it is available for our dates (no word from d'Aubusson yet.) It is, however, changing names, which I hope doesn't mean anything. (Their website claims it's the same staff.)<BR><BR>My only concern: I've never been to France and wonder if the modern decor will keep me from having a true "parisian" experience. Am I being silly, or is there someplace quainter that would be more appropriate fro honeymooners? Or is it a perfect choice? We'd like it be around $200/night, and conveniently located to see the major sights. No chain hotels. <BR><BR>D'Aubusson is a little bit more, but is it worth it? And a dumb newbie question: buci Latin's website makes you choose between rooms with showers and rooms with baths. Do the rooms with baths really not have any kind of shower? We've been told we have a "superior king with bath" reserved. I asked in an email but they ignored my question.<BR><BR>Would appreciate any input and other Paris advice. Thanks!<BR><BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:00 AM
BuciLatin

Buci Latin is okay, especially if you like jungle animal prints, wood paneled walls and other contemporary design details. Rooms are small but comfortable, bathrooms very nice, linens are crisp and of top quality. The modern decor won't offer what you called a "true 'parisian' experience" but that's okay. Location is good and you can experience Paris in this neighborhood. Price is fine for a honeymoon. My main pet peeve was that our room was aobve an alley and without a window to open for a nice view, we were very aware that the room was small even though it was the level above their regular double room.

Old May 16th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Jennifer

bumping up...any other thoughts?<BR>thanks so much.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Switcherooo

Isn't the Hotel d'Aubusson known for pulling switcheroo scams on tourists? After reading so many claims, one has to believe that something is going on. Several have said that this hotel claimed no reservation had been made and they directed confused guests to a partner hotel. Is Buci Latin same as Hotel Buci?

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:40 AM
jen

No, I think Buci Latin and Hotel Buci are two distinct properties.

Old May 20th, 2002, 10:07 AM
danna

Hotel Buci and Buci Latin are two different properties, very close together. <BR><BR>I have seen only one report of an overbooking at D'Aubbuson in all my months of scouring the travel boards. We had no trouble last week, and I point out that we had booked the cheapest room.

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:05 PM
Jennifer

OK, so if anyone wants to play expert to a first-timer and throw out some opinions on these hotels, I'm listening:<BR><BR>The Buci Latin is still an option. (My fear: not honeymoonish enough and not typically Parisian in decor.)<BR><BR>Au Manoir de St.-Germain-des-Pres has a queen room with a jacuzzi for only 206 euros. Is that a good deal?<BR><BR>A queen room at the Clos Medicis, about which I've heard wonderful things, is available for only 180 euros, but is that well located? It looks less in the middle of things.<BR><BR>I emailed the Madison to see what they have. How does this stack up against the others I've mentioned?<BR><BR>The D'aubusson might have a basic double room, but it's a tiny bit more than we wanted to spend. If it's really that amazing, I'll insist on it...<BR><BR>Any help to narrow this down would be most appreciated.

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:54 PM
Susan

According to the Parishotels.com website d'Aubusson has a 3 night honeymoon special. You might want to check it out. Re: the Madison there is a thread discussing this hotel, which I tried to top for you but the site is acting up a little.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:28 PM

Not sure if this will be of any help to you....<BR><BR>My husband and I will be staying at the Hotel de Fleurie in a couple of weeks; it will be our first trip to Paris. The hotel was well recommended on this site (I did a lot of searches!) and elsewhere, so we went with that.<BR><BR>

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:27 PM
Patrick

In your budget, I'd really opt for LeRegent in a great location on rue Dauphine. Get superior rooms which are nicely sized and have great baths. Yes, they have regular wall mounted showers in the baths, double glazed windows for bright rooms, but quiet. It will be under $200 a night.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:59 AM
jen

Yikes! the options were supposed to get fewer, not bigger! <BR><BR>Now I'm thinking Fleurie, Millesime, Regent. I just don't know what to do!!<BR><BR>Fleurie's quoting 260 for a deluxe double. Isn't that a lot?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 11:31 AM
Susan

260 Euro = $240. A superior double at Le Regent and Millesime are around $170 (depending on the $ to Euro ratio). There are many threads discussing Le Regent and Millesime and FIeurie and it seems to me that it ends up being a matter of taste. I was deciding between Le Regent and Millesime and it came down to the fact that many comments about Le Regent said the standard rooms were small and there were no superior available for my travel dates.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:03 PM
Jen

Okay - from one Jen to another. <BR><BR>I stayed for a week (before moving onto Provence) for my honeymoon at the Buci Latin, and LOVED it. <BR><BR>It was my first time to Paris, and since then, have been back to that hotel 3 times (last time in Dec, 2001), and the Hotel Buci (not as nice and more expensive) once.<BR><BR>It is modern - but I think Parisian in a more 'models stay here, and people are glamourous' way. It's a great Paris experience. It's a GREAT location and a very good price. The rooms are decent sized (as most Paris rooms are smaller).<BR><BR>As for shower - the bath will have the hand-held shower head and a place to attach it on the wall, so don't worry about it. As for a street side room (not noisy b.c of thick windows) and they are very nice (esp. Sanjay) about making dinner ressies in advance for you.<BR><BR>Enjoy - feel free to e-mail me if you have more specific questions.