Reload this Page >

Bruges: Canal tour vs. Carriage tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Alice

Visiting Bruges in October, and would like to know the difference in quality between the canal boat tours and the horse-carriage tours. Know that the cost is quite a bit more for the carriage. How does the ‘commentary’ compare? How long does the carriage tour last? What are the highlights along the carriage tour route? Thanks for any feedback.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Diane

Took both last year. I much preferred the canal ride over the horse carriage ride. The carriage went through the town which was crowded.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Myriam

I think they are both a tourist trap. Sorry! <BR>We've been to Brugge last weekend and I saw that the boats are equiped with a microphone that was also being used for commentary. <BR>We've seen many horse-carriages pass by where we had lunch and I got the impression that it's just a short carriage ride without much of a commentary. Will most probably depend from your driver.<BR>The best you can do is book a guided tour on foot or one of the described city walks (you can buy these in the tourist office in various languages).

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:44 PM
Nan

Just returned from Brugge on Sunday. I agree with Myriam but would go a step further. IMHO I found the entire city of Brugge to be a huge tourist trap. The canal boats and the carriage rides, however, are the worst offenders. Stayed at the Die Swaene and was amazed to see boat after boat go by absolutely packed with tourists. The same tacky canned speech over and over again. I did LOVE a bike tour by a company called Quasimodo (brochure available in Die Swaene lobby). Meet at tourist office at 1pm. Tour ends 5pm. Gets out of the city and shows the country side. Stops to discuss the history of the area. I loved it. Ride was totally flat and easy for even non-bikers. Price was 16 euros<BR><BR>I went to Brugge after reading the "raves" about it on these message boards. I came from Amsterdam and found the city to be a pale comparison. The Bike tour was the only thing that saved the excursion for me.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:59 PM
Alice

Thanks for your replies... We're starting in Amsterdam (2nd visit) and since we're going to Paris via Brussels, figured we'd take a day-trip to Bruges, might not be going that way again. Our trip is in October and we'll be going on the train on a Tuesday, so I hope that will reduce the crowd impact a little. But it is fine, I just want to meander through it, see a few highlights, and go my way. I liked the canal boat tour in Amsterdam, and the bateau mouche in Paris, so might as well add another notch to the old oar. Would rather spend only $4-5 than the $25 for the carriage, if it is of no better quality. Thanks again!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:12 PM
s.fowler

I was also in Brugge last Sunday [are we seeing a pattern here?] I agree with Myriam about the carriage rides -- the worst part is that the horses were nose to butt most of the way. You might as well have been in a caravan. I have to admit that I might take the boat canal thing, simply to get on the water -- although the canals were pretty stinky even on a comfortable June day.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:23 PM
Mare

We took the canal ride in April, and the driver did the commentary in four different languages at once. Because we were the only english speakers, he only tossed a few phrases our way every now and then. (Can't blame him for that.) He made a loooong spiel at the end, however, when it was time to tip "your private english tour guide"! I would rate the experience as "mildly" entertaining, but we wouldn't have missed much by skipping it. <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:04 PM
Diane

Was in Brugge the first time in June 1996. At that time there were not many tourists to speak of and we had a hard time finding anyone who spoke English. The city changed a lot when I went back last June. Back in 1996 it really was a hidden gem. Unfortunately, it isn't any more. I still enjoyed it, though. And if you've not been there before, a canal boat ride can still be enjoyable. Just avoid the weekends when it really gets crowded.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:07 AM
BTilke

Alice, you're going in October, which will help. Anyone who visits in summer, especially on a week-end, will find the city completely over-run with tourists, most of whom are daytrippers.<BR>I've taken many of our visitors to Brugge for the day and have done both. It depends on which boat tour and which carriage you end up in. Our favorite carriage ride has a light colored horse and the driver usually has his golden retriever up front with him. Off-season at least, he did a very nice job.<BR>With the boats, there is one rather heavy set guy who runs one of the boats and does a relaxed, dry commentary. The canal tours that board over by one of the hotels were completely canned. <BR>If you visist Brugge on a non-holiday week-day in October, you will have a much better experience than someone who goes in summer, particularly on a week-end. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)<BR>(Brussels)

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:12 AM
aj

Alice,<BR><BR>We were in Bruges in 99 and again this past May. We took a canal ride the first trip and I thought it was a nice way to see the city by water. The canals are very pretty and cool. I feel you should walk the city. There is a beautiful walking path around a good part of the old city. It goes by the canals and on to the windmills. You should walk this path it is great. The locals are walking, fishing and walking their dogs! A very relaxing and romantic walk if you are with that special person. I liked Bruges even more the second time around. In fact, I think I had one of my best meals in a cafe in bruges. There are some great little neighborhood pubs if you get out of the main square areas and be sure to stop at a bakery for some fresh baked bread. Go to the residential areas and walk the streets. I could see myself living there they have all the great things, lace curtains, cobblestones and chocolate! We did not like Amsterdam as much as Bruges but to each their own! Do take at least a day and see Bruges you won't regret it

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:52 AM
gritty

I'm not sure these people who are saying that the rides are tourist traps have actually taken either ride. If not, their opinions may not be very useful. How many things look stupid, until you've tried them? We took the canal ride. Crowded, touristy, yes! But Bruges is, well, crowded and touristy, for pretty good reason. We enjoyed the canal ride. It offered a neat perspective and gave us access to areas we would not have been able to see on foot.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Alice

This is fun - I figure a person makes his own experience (barring downright catastrophe) so I anticipate enjoying Bruges very much. I love to walk, windowgaze, and poke my nose in places it may not belong (ie.cool photos from poking camera out windows that other folks walk by). Will probably take the canal tour (just to sit down, ha ha). I'm not sure about the departure by the hotels, b/c I didn't look up hotels, but we can figure it out when we get there. Thanks again.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Alice

This is fun - I figure a person makes his own experience (barring downright catastrophe) so I anticipate enjoying Bruges very much. I love to walk, windowgaze, and poke my nose in places it may not belong (ie.cool photos from poking camera out windows that other folks walk by). Will probably take the canal tour (just to sit down, ha ha). I'm not sure about avoiding the departure by the hotels, b/c I didn't look up hotels, but we can figure it out when we get there. Thanks again.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
wes fowler

Alice,<BR>For about 50 cents, you can pick up a magazine sized brochure at the tourist office in the Burg just off the Markt. The brochure details sights to see on five self guided walking tours in conjunction with detailed maps identifying the sights location. Far less expensive, far more rewarding than either the carriage or canal tours.<BR><BR>Brugge is a city small enough in size that it offers wonderful and frewarding opportunities for leisurely strolls alongside its canals and down its charming alleys at the traveler's pace rather than that of a tour guide.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:03 AM
snorkelman

October is the best time to go. hardly any tourists. Around christmas is neat too. they set up an ice skating rink in the main square.<BR><BR>On Saturdays there is a market on Langestraat and they sell vegetables, lace, and also some stuff that you would expect to find at a flea market<BR><BR>You can easily walk to the downtown from the train station in about 30 minutes (or take a bus).<BR><BR> In Brugges, you can take a canal ride for only about 5 Euro.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:04 AM
wes fowler

Alice,<BR>Just realized that no one has clearly answered your questions regarding the carriage ride. It's about 30 minutes in duration, including a short stop at the Beguinage to rest and water the horses. The ride goes from the Markt down heavily trafficked Wollestraat past souvenir shops selling chocolates and machine made lace, doglegs to the Beguinage and returns to the Markt via Steenstraat, another of Brugge's heavily trafficked, shop laden streets.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Nicole

Alice,<BR>We were in Bruges in August of last year for our honeymoon, and we took both the carriage ride and the canal tour. We enjoyed both for different reasons - not necessarily one over the other. <BR><BR>What I loved about the carriage ride is that it was just the two of us with the driver, so we could easily ask questions, and it was more romantic. Also, it took us away from the city center and crowds to a very cute area we hadn't been yet, so the next day we explored that area on foot. <BR><BR>I don't remember the costs, but I don't think the carriage ride for us was as expensive as you said. I'm sure they are both a bit of a tourist trap in that they cater to tourists...but hey, we were tourists! We found both rides a nice way to see the city and hear tidbits of information. Enjoy your trip!<BR><BR>