Amersterdam & Bruges how to plan

Old Jan 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amersterdam & Bruges how to plan

There will be 6 of us, 4 in their late 20s heading to Amersterdam spring or early fall. What to do in Amsterdam and what else surrounding to do? How long in Amersterdam? What else should we do. Should we go to Bruges? I think we will have 7 days.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Start by searching for trip reports here about Amsterdam and Bruges...lots of us have been there!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Hi,
Bruges is certainly recommended! You can compare it with a opnen air mediaeval museum. A tip for travelling to Bruges is to rent a holiday apartment. A nice house to stay: www.parkhuisje.be !
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM

Actually, i think for a group your age, staying in Antwerp or even Ghent would be far more fun. You can easily take a daytrip to Brugge. Google and read up on both towns if you are intrigued.

It's easy enough to find a huge amount of information in guidebooks and online about the attractions of Amsterdam. Most people posting here are considerably older than your group, so their experiences of the city may be geared toward that (and their recommendations, too).

If all of you bicycle, that is something you might really enjoy in Amsterdam. But bear in mind that it rains a lot in that part of the world in spring and fall. In your planning, you need to identify lots of rainy day activities that will interest you.

It is very easy to move around the Netherlands by train. So you should check out what might interest you in Haarlem, Delft, Den Haag, etc. In Den Haag, the Panorama Mesdag is a unique treat, and the town has several other points of interest, depending on what interests your group.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We did a guided walking tour in Brugge which was good. I think there were 57 chocolate shops in a small area and we stopped at a couple for samples. Mmmm.. It's an easy town for walking and exploring, the Minnewater area is very pretty. You can do a canal boat ride which is very touristy but will give you a different view of Brugge from the water. There is a good market in one of the main squares, not sure if it's Wed or Sat?

I would say 4 days in Amsterdam and 3 in Brugge. The Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam is well worth a visit, take tissues.

Kay
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM

>>>>>i think for a group your age, staying in Antwerp or even Ghent would be far more fun.

I think Zeppole is right. Bruges is a world-class destination, but it is kind of dolled-up compared to Antwerp (or Ghent). The other spots might feel a bit more real, with a lesser percentage of tourists, but good action.

Amsterdam has a TON of action, though it has lots of tourists. If you want a nice escape from action-(and scruffiness)-filled Amsterdam, you might enjoy Leiden, a university town also with canals & coffeeshops and vibrancy, but a bit less ueber-trodden than Amsterdam.