Florence, Venice or Paris in Oct?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:12 AM
PHBrowne

Florence, Venice or Paris in Oct?

Hello

My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th anniversary in October and are planning a 7-10 day trip to Europe. Have been to Ireland twice and London once. Now ready to move onto a place where they don't all speak English. The question is where? I have been dreaming of visiting Paris, Venice and Florence for years and now that we have to make plans, find I am stuck. Since this trip will be Marriott-based (through their points system) that is our only restriction. We have some flexibility in our travel plans (my folks will watch the kids - even though our French-fluent 14-year old is protesting that we should not go to Paris without her along as translator!) in terms of travel dates, location...but would like to travel sometime in the fall of 2002.

Help! Give us some advice on traveling at that time of year. Also...if you can recommend a special way to celebrate the anniversary that we might not otherwise hear about....

Thanks in advance for your replies and experience....

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:27 PM
elvira

Any of the three would be a lovely way to spend your 20th. I'll let others wax eloquent about the Italian cities; I'll do Paris:
The only Marriott that's in the center of Paris is on the Champs Elysees; try to get that one; otherwise, you'll be on the outskirts - not a big deal except there's not much activity in the evening.

October weather is wonderful in Paris - usually cool crisp days but also occasionally Indian summer - the sunlight is fantastic for photos. It'll rain at least once, but rarely is it a torrential downpour.

Opera, ballet, concerts, symphonies, theater, etc. etc. are in full swing. Lots of art shows and exhibits in the galleries; special exhibits at the museums. The street markets are chock full of food; there are neighborhood flea markets for a special goofy souvenir that you'll just have to own.

The restaurants are bringing out their winter menus, so lots of casseroles and soups and roasted fowl and meats.

For something special on your anniversary:
There are yachts (not the vedettes or bateaux mouches) that cruise the Seine http://www.yachtsdeparis.com/

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Sherri Kardell

HI;
if you have 14 days you could do at least 2 cities comfortably.The train ride from Paris to Venice is not that long; but do not quote me it's been a while since I've taken that ride.
I would definately do Paris and try to sneak Venice in to.If you need hotel suggestions in Paris email me with your needs and budget and I'll send some suggestions...La Dolce Italy.. Viva la France.... Happy Anniversary... Sherri

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Sonia

Hi

I've only been to Paris and Florence, so can only advise on the two. Paris is a lot bigger and you should allow at least 5 days to see everything. It's well worth having a bit longer so you don't have to rush such an amazing place.

Florence too is beautiful and so different from Paris. I'd say you could do it easily in 3 days, maybe less, as it's far smaller. I understand a day trip to Sienna is well worth it, although we didn't manage it. We did however manage the 1 hour ?9.70 train journey to Pisa. This is a must when you're so close. It was a fantastic place but you can see it all, including a trip up the tower, in a day. The trains were very frequent and very easy.

Hope this helps, enjoy...

Sonia :0)

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:48 PM
meg

I'd say that Venice wins hands down for sheer romance! By Oct the crowds have long gone and yet the weather is still warm, though it can be wet and sometimes the 'aqua alta' fills St Mark's Square so that you have to cross on duckboards to keep from getting your shoes wet (but that's all part of the atmosphere. You could easily spend a week in Venice, leaving you plenty of time for trips to Pisa,Verona or Bologna by train. Then you'd also have time to go to Florence (only an hour by fast, frequent train from venice)
Bella Italia!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:26 AM
cherry

I would go to Paris but the weather?it will be not too cold but rainy.It is still romantic.I agree with ELVIRA.
But in Florence it will be still warm and it is a lovely place to visit.You can go also to French Riveria,Fly from Paris to Nice and then drive to Cannes,St tropez,Monte carlo..etc.I can recommend a tourist guide who can also drive.We made our second trip with her.
(you can rent a cabrio if the weather is ok)Happy Anniversary

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:40 PM
Alexa

I have not been to Florence or Venice but I've been to Paris MANY times-- it is a great city, very romantic, so much to see, lots of great walks, sights, restaurants, shopping, etc. I love Paris in October. That said, I do think you could do 5 days in Paris and 5 days somewhere else. Because when you have gone once, you will definitely go back.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
xxx

All of the above are nice, but isn't October supposed to be flood season in Venice? Or is that exaggerated?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:05 PM
Lisa

Venice was gorgeous, make sure you see the Doge's Palace and go to Murano, have lunch there, reasonable price and not too crowded. We took the vaporetto up and down the grand canal, make sure you get on it to watch the sunset, magnificent! You can also get the boat to/from the airport which stops near San Marco square ($EUR 9).

Paris was magnificent, must try to get reservations at Jules Verne restaurant and don't forget to confirm the night before. We ordered the fix price menu(in French only, first page) (you can ask the waiter to translate the menu) for EUR $49 per person, 3 course meal plus some other deserts and entrees that they put on our table. It was a fantastic experience. Most people ordered from the English menu and paid atleast EUR$45 for just one main course! We love the service, the food, the views! Paris was very romantic, especially St Germain and along the Seine, take the Vedette cruise at night, beautiful! Also had lunch on the hills of Montmarte and went to Sacre Coer chapel.

Florence was beautiful, very relaxing but a bit too crowded when we were there. Must go to Fiesole, just catch the local bus. You can see a panoramic view of Florence and the Tuscan hills, unforgetable! Also went to San Gimigiarno and Siena by bus on the same day. Gorgeous medieval town.

For those who posted rude comments on this board, I'm just going to ignore you. I will continue to post on this board to help others.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:09 PM
ohno

Geez Lisa you didn't even mention the red light district once!!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:32 PM
pechochita

First of all, congratulations on the anniversary and the excellent decision to leave the kids at home so you can celebrate just the two of you.

Save Paris for a family trip later on, and just "do Paris" at that time. Your daughter will love it and feel like you didn't leave her out.

Now, one eliminated, leaves your two choices of Florence and Venice. I'll talk about those two, then give you an all time favorite Octoer-week-dream trip.

Florence and Venice. Fly into Milan. Stay 2 nights at the Excelsior next to the train station (marble bathrooms, old elegance, I have been there 3 times), then take the train to VENICE. Be in awe of the water as you go over the long bridge into Venice. Stay in Venice for 3 days, walk everywhere, stop off in little wine bars, be sure to locate your rest stops (bathrooms) if you drink a lot . . . . Train to Florence. Walk everywhere, see the uffizi and the magnificent Michaelangelo paintings, walk across the bridge over the Arno, buy leather, eat real Italian food. Train back to Milan for your flight home.

Now, the best fall trip ever: fly into Paris, train TGV to Nice. Get your car in Nice, drive to Eze Village (perched village) via the Moyenne Corniche, spend the night, medieval village. Drive to Monaco. Drive to Bordighera, Italy, for lunch. Drive to St. Paul de Vence (chagall is buried there, little walled village) drive through the countryside, end up in Mougin and stay at Moulin de Mougin. Back to Nice for train to Paris. Guess you could tack a few days on at the end at paris.

Sorry, I don't know about the Marriott stuff, but 20 years is a great anniversary to splurge at the Ritz in Paris and some of these great little village hotels. Do the Marriott free thing in the US.

Happy, Happy!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:27 AM
pechochita

forgot to tell you that one logical reason to take the TGV to Nice from Paris rather than fly to Nice from Paris, is that often international flights arrive late, then you miss your connection to Nice. Rather than miss out, and be frustrated about it over the Atlantic, book a Paris hotel room, then take the TGV the next day. Takes a bit more planning, but you won't be arriving in Nice at an ungodly hour with the car rentals closed . . . if the overseas flight is late. Try finding the moyenne corniche for the first time in Nice in the dead of night.

Good Luck!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:17 AM
JustWondering

Is there a Marriott in Florence or Venice?