Bruge in June

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruge in June

We are taking a two week vacation beginning June 7 and wanted to spend the first 2 days in Brussels and 4 in Bruge before going on to Paris. After reading some guide books, I am not sure I want to do this. They all say that the crowds during summer take away from the beauty and it is difficult to see many of the sites. We normally do not not travel during summer, but have no option this year.

Also, have thought about spending one more night in Brussels to take a day trip to Ghent.

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Judy
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:37 AM

Hi Judy, Bruges/Brugge in June is pretty crowded on week-ends. However, it looks like you arrive on a Monday, so I suggest you "flip"your plans and head straight to Brugge/Bruges for the four days (it's less than an hour by train from Brussels), then go to Brussels for 2 days and then onto Paris.
Four weekdays in Brugge should be wonderful--rent bikes to go for a country ride along the canals, see a museum or two, take in the beauty of Brugge at night after the day trippers have gone, perhaps do your trip to Ghent from Brugge (only half an hour a way and there are at least two trains an hour).
Some people may tell you there is little to see in Brussels outside of the Grand'Place, but we'll be happy to suggest plenty of activities/restaurants/sights for those two days.
BTilke (Brussels)
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 01:17 AM

Brugge is always linked to 'the crowds', and I wonder why. Strange that nobody ever speaks about Venice and its crowds.
However, as BT states, the major part of the crowds are WE and daytrippers. Peace and quiet from 7 pm onwards.
So try to be there during the week, try to find a hotel which has bicycles at your disposal free of charge.
Check http://www.brugge.be/verblijf/en/gastene.htm if you would like B&B. Some weeks ago somebody strongly recommended http://users.skynet.be/brugge-gheeraert/
Or check http://www.adornes.be if you would like a hotel with free bicycles.

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM

Four nights in brugge is quite a lot. We did it as a day trip from Brussels and still had time to do a canal ride, see the Michaelangelo and enjoy the town. Ghent is also a day trip. I don't know here you are going for two weeks but spend the time in Paris or Amsterdam.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:48 AM

I enjoyed Brugge very much, and it did become very crowded during the weekend.
but, if you just walk off the "beaten path" the crowds thin out alot.
I think Brugge deserves much more than a day trip!
You may find 4 nights too long, but it depends on why you are going on vacation.
]I hope to return to Brugge with my teens next time.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for their reply. At this point I am thinking 2 nites Brussels, 2 nites Ghent and 4 Brugge and then 5 or 6 Paris. Any further comments or suggestions???

BTike, I would definitely appreciate any suggestions you have for Brussels.

Thanks, Judy
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:23 PM

judy: Like your revised itinerary. Ghent deserves more than a day trip. You have enough time in Brussels, Bruges and Ghent to really see them. You could take one day from Bruges and do Antwerp (from Brussels). Just a suggestion.
For a good run down on what to see and do, go to www.jack-travel.com. Jack is a Belgian and does an excellent job of providing comprehensive touring information about Belgium. He gives suggestions on where to stay and where to eat as well. However, I have heard that his restaurant suggestions might be out dated. Still, we used them two years ago and were very satisfied. We especially enjoyed the Hotel Welcome in Brussels, the Hansa Hotel in Bruges and The Erasmus in Ghent. Anyway, good reading. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 11:48 PM

Judy, spending 2 nights in Ghent seems like serious overkill! We've been to Ghent many times and just have not been all that impressed. Also, it seems like a lot of packing and unpacking in a short period--Ghent is only half an hour from Brussels and less than that from Brugge. Trains run from early in the morning until late at night. I would stick with the original 4 nights Brugge itinerary. Seems odd to go through all the palaver of checking out of one hotel and checking into another only 20 minutes away.
FYI, we always find something new and interesting to do in Brugge. Many people think the city is only about tourism, but it has a lot going for it. Get away from the tourist packed center core and you'll find a beautiful city that manages to mesh the old and new very well together.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:56 AM

I think 4 nights in Brugge is overkill. You might want to consider the following:

4 nights in Brussels with two of those as day trips - one to Ghent, and one to Dinant. Dinant is a wonderful town in Belgium, South of Brussels.

Then 2 nights in Brugge and head for Paris -- There's lots to do in Paris, including day trips.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Hi Judy,

I've been to Brugge twice (3 days each time) and love the town. The people are so friendly and there's enough to keep you busy for 3 days at a leisurely pace. The idea of a day trip to Ghent from Brugge is a good one since it is very close to Brugge. I would add the extra night to Paris.

Also agree to go there during the week. I've heard that it's overrun on weekends but since I've only been there mid week I found it wasn't crowded.

The last visit to Brugge was late June and it was cooler than I expected it to be. Take a light jacket and sweater for the evenings. Day time was warm (shirt sleeve weather) but I found I was too cool walking around in the evenings with only a light sweater and I don't get cold easily.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Judy, a couple of Brussels restaurant suggestions:
If you like bistro/brasserie food and atmosphere, definitely reserve a table at Les Brasseries Georges on the corner of Ave. Winston Churchill and Chaussee de Waterloo. Far from the tourist center of the Grand'Place but easy to reach by tram (93/94 trams stop at the end of the Ave. Louise and from there it's about a 5-10 minute walk or the 3, 23, or 90 trams which stop right across the street) or taxi. One of everybody's favorite restaurants in Brussels and although there's a seafood emphasis, everything on the menu is good. Can't recommend this place highly enough.
On the Sablon, if you are the kind of people who like surprises, try the Tour d'Yvoire. An outstanding chef who prepares multiple course menus based on your preferences, i.e., meat, fish or vegetarian (if you're fussy, as in you pick the meat menu but don't like lamb or veal, they can accommodate that). A set price. Reservations needed.
Entre Nous, near the Chatelain, has very good, inexpensive meals in a pretty brick townhouse setting. You probably won't need reservations.
Belga Queen is an excellent restaurant near the Grand'Place but very much NOT a touristy joint. Again, reservations advised. Some excellent lunch bargains, but the dinner menu is on the high side.
On the Rue Haute (a popular shopping street where the stores are open Sundays; more home decor stores than anything else and a short walk from the Sablon), a nice, intimate little restaurant is L'Arrossoir (watering can). Moderate prices.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 06:46 AM

i took a nice trip in a mini van around Bruge. also the train to Zeebruger (had no time to go further). if you go to the lace and folklor museum, even if you don't like them, spend some time in this neighborhood. quite diferent from the center and very lovely.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Extend your time in Paris, a couple of days each in Brugge and Brussels will be more than enough. Paris has so much more to see and 4-5 days is not enough.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I spent 3 days in Bruges and could have stayed longer. The crowds did not diminish the beauty of Bruges. Outside the Market and Burg there are many quiet streets and squares. Minnwater lake and the paths around the canal are a peaceful respite from the day-trippers. As previous posters stated in the evening the crowds thin. A bike ride to Damme for lunch was enjoyable. I would go back to Bruges in a heartbeat regardless of the summer crowds. When I was looking at Michelangelo"s Madonna and Child, I was so awed by its' beauty that I didn't notice anyone in the church.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Another comment about length of visit to Brugge - I've been twice, and stayed both times for one week (6 nights, 7 days). I loved it so much both times that I"m already dreaming of my next trip back! Wonderful, beautiful city.

The people are also wonderful. We found that we liked a few places enough to give them repeat business. Business owners were always surprised when they would see us again, and even more surprised when we told them we were "only going to Brugge" for our week - they were obviously very pleased that we enjoyed their city so much...too many tourists don't give it enough time!

Have a fabulous trip.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 11:45 AM

judymol: I stayed in Bruge for two nights, three days on the last weekend of May '03 and did not find it to be crowded it all. For a delightful experience, you must rent a bike and ride out through the countryside to Damme, as well as through the little side streets of Bruge. The place where you rent from should provide you with maps of scenic routes to take. I would also check out Rick Steve's website (ricksteves.com) about travel in Belgium. He has some great "off the beaten path" ideas. And my one other recommendation, if you like beer, please do not miss one of my favorite pubs -t'brugs Beertje! (Located at Kemelstraat 5, Brugge, 8000 Belgium)

Old Feb 7th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I think I have finally decided what to do. I just couldn't get excited about Brussels so we have decided to go to Amersterdam, Bruge and then Paris. I am thinking we will spend 4 or 5 nights in Amersterdam, 2 in Bruge and 4 or 5 in Paris. This will not be our first trip to Paris so I can always take a day away from there and add to Bruge. I might end up in Bruge on the weekend, but will try and figure out schedule so I don't.

Want to stay at Jan Brito or Romantik Pandhotel. Any comments on the hotels? Crowded or not, from all reply's I am sure I will love Bruge.

Thanks again.... Judy