brittany

Old May 4th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brittany

does anyone have a recommendation for a nice place to stay in st. malo or dinard?
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Stayed last week at the Mercure in St. Malo. It's just outside the great city ramparts, only a 5-minute walk. Plus it's right across the street from the ocean with the great tidal waters each night/day. A room facing the sea costs about $10 extra/day, but well worth it. As far as "within the rampart walls", there were numerous hotels when we walked thru, but none seemed to have views of the sea (unless you get a room over 4-5 floors), if that's important. Down the street only a block from the Mercure is the Ibis, a budget chain of the same group as Mercure (accorhotels.com). Good luck!
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Ooooooo, rogdi.

I know a very nice place! We stayed at the Grand Hotel Barriere in Dinard.

We foolishly arrived in St. Malo, without reservations, on All Saints Day last November. It was mobbed with French families on holiday. We looked at the few remaining hotels and were not impressed.

So we drove across the causeway to Dinard and pulled into this gorgeous hotel on the cliffs overlooking the bay. We were surprised to get a room for 124 Euro. And what a room! Huge beds, unbelievably big terrace. The bath was "American". Marble tub, separate shower, separate WC. Lush terry robes and slippers.

We're talking truly elegant, but easily casual atmosphere. I must say, we do not usually pay that much outside Paris. So this was a real treat.

The restaurant was very good, but the portions were so huge we couldn't avail ourselves of their yummy looking desserts.

Right in front of the hotel you can catch the walking path cut into the cliffs. It will take you all around the bay where you can see the grand old Belle Epoch homes on the cliff above.

http://www.hotels.travelmall.com/cgi...de=LW%3BLW0611
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:59 PM

I didn't give you the actual website for the hotel. That was a travel site.

Grand Hotel Barriere
http://www.lodgingfrance.com/Dinard/GrandBarriere/
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:24 PM

we were just in Brittany late last year and we loved it and plan another trip in the next year. I was so happy to get the info on the hotel in Dinard. Thanks. JeanneB
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Jody,

If you book at the Grand Hotel, I would appreciate knowing what the rates are now.

We arrived about 6:30 that night, so may have gotten a break on the rate. But it WAS a holiday weekend, too.

I'm just curious.
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:46 PM

A year ago, my husband and I stayed at La Reine Hortense in Dinard. It's a small, family run hotel right on the beach in a beautiful, turn of the century mansion. Rooms maintained the period feel, but had modern amenities. I unfortunately forget the names of the husband/wife owners, but they were extremely friendly and helpful. We had a room with a view that looked out across the bay to the ramparts of St. Malo. I believe we paid about $150euros a night (it was a holiday weekend).

Diane