Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP WITH TRAIN ITINERARY FOR SOLO TRAVELER!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Thanks to this form I have my Paris hotel. I hope to travel by train to Spain and Portgal from France. Best way? Go from Paris or South of France??Can I avoid Madrid? Would like to visit mostly Seville, Granada and cities in Portugal.(Have visited Madrid and Barcelona many times so could bypass) Will it be easy to get hotels as I go or do I need reservations from June 3rd? I have about 3 wks. What train service? Thanks, merci, gracias. JOhanna
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:38 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34416248

You've received some very good advice re trains on this earlier thread. (If you're not sure how to find your old questions, just click on your name at the upper left of this page - that will bring up all of your posts.)
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Bootman4U

You don't necessarily have to go through Madrid by train. You can change in places like Burgos in Spain for trains that run on to Salamanca and Avila or on into Portugal. You will, however have to travel toward southwest France to Hendaye/Irun first to make these sorts of connections.

Old May 5th, 2003, 07:44 AM
ira

topping
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Hi Johanna,
We will be going to Spain in Sept. Do you recommend a few nights in Barcelona? We would really like to see Gaudi's works.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have replied. This is only my 2nd solo trip so please bear with me. Bootman: would I go from Paris (where I will be for a wk) toward the South of France to pick up the trains to Spain?JanDaO: I would recommend Barcelona; a very easy city to get around. I loved the Gaudi architecture, Rambles, Picasso museum, waterfront near the olympic village.

What does topping mean? Leslie: I took the previous advice which recommended that I fly rather than train. I plan to end in London to try to attend Wimbledon so I hoped to get some solo travelers input. Thanks all.
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Lesli: Thank you for your help in accessing the messages from 5/1 . I had not been able to find them. I will research all the information listed. This is very helpful. Will I be able to purchase all the tickets at the Montparnasse station? Will I be able to get decent hotel rooms near the train terminals? Thanks again to all..