Search

Help from other Black Females Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help from other Black Females Please

Hi everyone!
I am going to be living in Spain for six months. I am so excited! I just have one problem. I relax my hair and I have done so for 3 years now. I was wondering if there are salons for black people or hair stores in Spain. How have you handled you hair issues for long term travel. And btw cutting my hair and going natural are NOT options and I have NEVER done a relaxer myself. What should I do? Thanks for your help! (and to those of you who think this is a vain/stupid topic, clearly you are NOT a black female and your comments are not wanted or needed)
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM

Vannalyn -
In what part of Spain will you be living? I would think that large cities like Madrid and Barcelona would have many salon options, but others may be able to give you specifics if we have an idea where you'll be staying. What a wonderful opportunity! I'm excited for you!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM
cmt

There was a thread just like this about two years ago. The search function on this forum is terrible, but maybe someone can find the old thread and post a link to it here.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM

Vannalyn- I am not a black female, but I don't think I need to be to try to help you out! There is a beauty salon in Madrid's Gran Via called Sylom Peluqueria that specializes in African hair styles. That is, they are hair designers and their specialty is African-inspired hair dos. They may be able to help you. Their e-mail is [email protected]

Have a great time in Spain!!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 04:18 PM

Do a google search. I typed in a few key words and got some hits that might be useful although I did not examine them closely. Aside from actual salons (don't know what part of Spain you are going to)there seem to be guide books written for expats living in Spain. Even if you are going to be living in a more rural area the train system is so great that you should be able to get to Madrid or Barcelona where I am sure you can find a salon. Also try getting information from the Universities where you should be able to find someone to steer you in the right direction. Good luck and have fun!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the help! I will be in Sevilla. I know that I posted a question like this on a yahoo board and people basically told me that I was stupid and vain for caring about what I look like! While I am over there I just want to be able give the best first impression possible physically and personally. Once again THANKS TO ALL!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:14 PM

Vannalyn, I have a friend here in my city in N CA that was born and raised in Seville and goes home often as all of her family still lives in Seville. I need to call her anyway so I will ask her for suggestions and if she any I will post back here on this thread of yours. Lucky you, you must be so excited!!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:24 PM

Hi Vannalyn ~

I too, would like to add, that you are not vain in any way but wise to be thinking ahead!

I have lived in a many a city and do you know what was the most difficult part?

Finding employement?

Nope.

The search for living arrangements?

Not in the least.

Making new friends?

Never.

Locating a good hair stylist?

Yes, in each and every city!

My trick? Even after your diligent search, if you are still unable to find what you are looking for before you depart, when you get there, and you see someone with hair that you like, compliment said female and ask what salon they frequent - it has worked in many a great city for me!

Best wishes to you!
Enjoy this European experience, Tiff

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Once again thank you for all you help! And I have good news... I found someone (Thanks Viajero2 for the email address)! I have already talked to them and worked things out! Thanks again to everyone. HAPPY TRAVELS!!!!!!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My daughter has ethnic hair and just spent 5 months in Madrid and didn't find anyone that could relax her hair. She flew home over the Easter break and got here hair done while she was home. she goes to school in Boston and has tried several places there, but her hairdresser here does a much better job.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM

Vannalyn17 -- Congrats on finding someone to do your hair! I agree that the hardest thing about moving is finding a new hairdresser, and I have straight hair! Vain/stupid? No way!

Good luck in Spain. Let us know how you are doing.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM

Oh Tiff dear, how right you are. When I moved to where I now live within a week I had a great doctor. Within six months a fantastic dentist. Three years later I was still looking for at least a decent hair stylist. And I found one as one day at the supermarket I saw a woman with hair similar to mine (thick, course, wavy). I walked over to her and asked her who styled her hair, got the information and have been going there every since. Now if the weather would improve maybe my hair would look better, the summer heat makes my hair frizzy and there is nothing that seems to help.

I am glad you found some place to go to Vannalyn. I think my "Seville" friend is on a trip as she hasn't returned my call.

I hope you can give us some posts while you are in Seville for the six months. I can only imagine how excited you must be! Best wishes.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM

Vannalyn
If you're going to spend a lot of time in Sevilla, you might take a drive down to Rota. This is a big naval base, there are about 5,000 American families at Rota.

This isn't a long ways from Sevilla so maybe you will need some help there too.

Enjoy Sevilla.

Blackduff
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM

My recommendation would be to keep an eye out for someone such as yourself and ask where they go.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I just wanted to chime in to say that you are absolutely NOT vain or stupid for wanting your hair to look good. Not all of us look can just roll out of bed and look good. Some of us need professional help - LOL.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I tried to find the thread CMT mentioned, but was able to find only this one, it's a short one, but still may be helpful

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34844437
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Vannalyn
There used to be an American Womens Association in Sevilla. I think that there's something in the telephone directory but I'm sure you can ask someone in Sevilla.

I'm not sure if this would be worthwhile but six months can pop up all kinds of questions.

Blackduff
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Vannalyn-- glad to help and gald to hear the staff at Sylom helped you out. Have a great time in Spain!!