Search

Tuscany Roadmap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany Roadmap

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my previous questions about Italy. I have some more I hope you won't mind answering. I've read most of the posts, but couldn't find any references to the following.

Where can I get the best roadmap of Tuscany. One that has all the little towns, like Pienza, Orvietto, etc.

Is a mid size car too big for the area and is an auomatic a good choice? If there isn't a big differnce in diesel or regular gas prices or ease of finding a gas station with regular gas, I prefer an automatic. There are 3 of us with 6 pieces of luggage altogether.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Not long ago i got a free detailed Tuscany map from the Italian Tourist office in NY: Try: 212-245-5618; www.italiantourism.com
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:36 AM

You want the Touring Club Italiano map of Toscana at 200K to one scale.

A compact is better and cheaper. Auto is 30% more. With 3 I would look at the Focus wagon.

Orvieto is not in Tuscany but close.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:46 AM

I agree with Bob. Get a diesel - it is less expensive per gallon & gets better mileage. I have never encountered a station that does not have diesel.

We drive automatics here in the US and a manual in Europe. If you plan to visit Europe frequently, get use to a manual ASAP.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM

I've used those Touring Club Italiano maps that Bob refers to - but the folds quickly tear apart on me and they don't last very long for that reason.

The Michelin spiral bound "ITALY Tourist and Motoring Atlas (1:300,000)" has served me well for many years now and the detail is (almost) as good as the fold-up Touring Club maps.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM

You will probably need a mid-size car because of the amount of luggage. Some compacts may have a big enough trunk, but rental agencies usually offer a certain car or equivalent, and the equivalent might not be satisfactory.

If you can drive a shift car, get a shift car. Diesel is better than gasoline.

The map we used, which was very good, is the Touring Club Italiano, Italia Centrale, foglio 2. If you consider Orvieto a little town, this map will be more than enough (Pienza is readily identifiable on it).
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. One major reason I'm considering an automatic is the driver has knee problems and from what I've seen posted on the board, there seem to be a lot of shifting involved. I plan on going from Orvieto to Multipulcino, spend the night in Pienza, then to San Gimignano for another night. Maybe visit Pisa the next day before ending in Florence. Too much?