BritRail Pass- 1st or 2nd class?

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BritRail Pass- 1st or 2nd class?

My family (2 adults, 2 children) are going to purchase the BritRail Flexipass (4 days out of 2 months) for our trip this summer. We plan on taking two long train trips (from the south of England to Scotland and return). Is the 1st class service worth the extra $260 that we would have to pay for the four of us? I know that there are meals and the seats are larger, but are there other perks that make it worth this extra cost?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Hi.

I made the mistake of buying 2nd class seats for the 4-hour trip from London to Edinburgh. The car felt very cramped and my knees were pressed up against the seat in front of me (I'm only six feet tall).

Pop for first class. En route stroll back to steerage for a look at what you will have missed. You'll thank me and you'll thank yourself. (And don't discount the fact that you will have avoided rendering your family cranky and unhappy.)

You're welcome.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I agree. We just got back from London and used this same pass and spent 3 long cramped days on and off the trains. First class definitely has more room and you'll really appreciate it after a few days of hauling yourself and luggage around the country. I wish I had done so!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:59 AM

I know you didn't ask this - but are you sure a Brit Rail pass is the way you want to go?

Since you are asking this question, budget is at least a bit of an issue for you. If so, the 4 of you can fly R-T London to Edinburgh for little more than just the 1st class supplement. When you calculate the BritRail Pass plus supplement you could fly R-T more than 4 times.

The trains are good - definitely take the kids on a rail trip somewhere during your trip. But if you fly up you can buy point-to-point tickets for a couple of trainrides and save hundreds of dollars
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:01 AM
ron

By buying the flexipass, it sounds like you are already paying too much for your train travel. So what's an extra $260 to be able to sit with expense account business travellers and other squeamish tourists and avoid having to mix with ordinary English and Scottish folk?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Oh - I also agree w/ ron. If you are sure you want to take the train - BritRail flexipasses are usually very expensive compared to what you'd have to pay for individual tix. . . . . .
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments

The 4 day Britrail pass (1st class) is $395/ ticket for four non consecutive days for each adult. The second class tickets are $265 for each adult. The kids are free if we purchase. That comes to $790 for first class or $530 for second ($260 difference).

I have looked at point to point train costs and they are substantially higher. The air fares would be about the same (for 4 people) and the times of the flights are not really doable or as convenient as the train (understanding that you have to show up at the airport at least an hour before the flights). Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:09 AM

The train trip can be fun, if not crowded and if you can reserve a 2nd class seat with the table which allows for the four of you to sit together. I don't travel with children, however, for me, meeting locals and other tourist is what it is about. The kids can wander down the length of the car, you can buy food on board or take your own. In any event you might enjoy being on the train. As far as cost, I use the passes, but when I go I am on the go just about every day and I like the flexability of the rail pass.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM

I would ask: why fly steerage when you can travel first class for the same money?

No contest.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM
ron

It is hard to respond to your claim that point-to-point tickets are substantially more expensive, since you haven't told us which specific journeys you are taking, or where you got the quotes. If you got the quotes from the BritRail site, you were not apprised of the cheaper fare options. Nor were you likely made aware of the 35% savings by buying a £20 Family Rail Card.

You can easily get round trip tickets from London to Edinburgh for the four of you for £154, plus £20 for the Rail Card. There are cheaper fares available, as low as £116, but you would probably have to compromise on day and time of travel.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:23 AM

A world of difference between classes in Britain - second class much more cramped and often teeming full than first class. Plus the free food can add up to lots of pounds (both money and on the waist) - try to take Virgin if you have a choice as they give out the most food and drinks - in first class only. The value of first class is that you can just hop on the train and find empty seats - probably four together with a table - be sure to reserve in 2nd class, which is also often rather dirty in my experience, with tin cans and refuse lying about. I've ridden BritRail passes for decades and always have first class and always so glad i did. If i had kids i'd enjoy the extra room for them and bags, etc. Just a world of difference. And as for price comparisons you've found out that the pass can be a bargain in light of skyhigh ordinary fares. The discounted fares online in advance lock you into a certain train, non changeable and must be used on the train line you buy it from. BritRail just show up at the station and hop aboard any of Britain's 28 or so individual rail lines as the pass honors them all. Plus you can use first class lounges in key stations. And of course you can always go sit in 2nd class for a color tour if you want!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Economy on the new Virgin Voyager and Pendolino trains I think is quite comfortable. If you are a little flexible on your travel times you should be able to get Economy seats a lot cheaper than the flexipass.... probably.

I'd check out a site called "the train line" it sells tickets for UK rail and allows you to compare prices between different types of tickets and trains.