Scandinavian Rail Pass Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal: In researching rail passes for Scandinavia, one can buy the Scanrail Pass which is $291 for 2nd Class Adult for any 5 days our of 2 months.
Eurail has a Selectpass Saver for 1st class for $340 for same coverage. Also, it's good for free Stockholm/Helsinki passage on Silja Ferry, while the Scanrail is only 50% off.
Is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd class?
Thanks for your insights.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 03:41 AM

I live in Norway and I've never taken 1st class on the trains, but my opinion on second class is it's more than good enough for me... I'm 180cm tall (6') and I beleive it's decent space for my legs and since you can walk around anyway without the hassle that is not a problem IMHO. What I beleive you get from first class is wider seats as well as an electrical outlet and possible some businessrelated services... Look on the webpages of the scandinavian railcompanys they got decent english sites...

Cobos
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:59 AM

In the Scandinavian countries, second-class train seats are as comfortable as first-class in some other countries. If you plan to use the rail pass for Silja Line or any other ferry company, note that basic fares on these ferries are fairly low. If you're sailing overnight (and Stockholm-Helsinki is always an overnight trip), you need to pay for accommodation and the price varies according to the standard - this is extra whether you have a rail pass or not.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:13 AM

I have travelled frequently by train in Finland and in Sweden, and I have never had a 1st class ticket. Like Cobos said, the difference is that the 1st class has a little wider seats and usually individual internet connections. But for any normal sized person 2nd class chairs are just fine.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:26 AM

And as a second point, if you do not travel at the height of the busy season my experience is that often there are some or many vacant seats. Which makes the case even stronger for second class

Cobos
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the great information. We will be traveling at the height of the tourist invasion in mid-July, but will make seat reservations for the longer hauls. Sounds just fine to do the Scanrail 2nd class pass, perhaps adding few days of car rental for exploring.
Happy adventures!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

I'm back again! The difference between 1st class Eurail Select Pass and the Scan Rail are just a few dollars. However, in talking to an agent, he mentioned that many times there are NOT first-class cars on the trains in Scandinavia.Hmmmm, guess that's why ScanRail only comes with 2nd class option. We just thought the idea of first-class might make the train rides a bit more quiet and less crowded. For the wee bit more, we'll go for the Eurail since we are planning some long rides between capitals. Thanks for your tips.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 02:20 PM

My son will be in Denmark for a semester beginning of 2004. (Lucky him).The eurail/student rail pass seems to be expensive - is the way to go if he intends to travel by train as opposed to buying ticket when he wants one.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM

tt in case anyone can assist
Tx
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 09:48 PM

It all depends on how much riding of trains he plans to do... And check the prices for buying a Interrail ticket IN Denmark when he arrives, might be cheaper. Though remember that those usually can't be used for the country they are bought in, so buying in Denmark he needs a point-topoint ticket out of Denmark.
Buses are a quite a bit cheaper way to get around Europe, but a lot less comfortable IMHO as well as has fewer runs each day...

Cobos
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 10:18 PM

Even with a fair amount of train travel, I figured out that the ScanRail pass was not a good deal for us this summer. Be sure to price out the tickets point to point before you opt for the pass.

Second-class trains were perfectly fine and I have no complaints at all.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:17 AM

Thanks for the responses - Will, that't what I was thinking.
The old style eurail passes were great - but then I am dating myself. They were buy a month pass or a 2 mnonth pass and you could travel every day.