Raileurope question

Search

Raileurope question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raileurope question

Can my DH buy a 1st class Saverpass, and I buy a Youth Saverpass (I'll be 25 at the time of the trip), which is 2nd class, and still have us both sit together (in 2nd)?

That option looks to be the cheapest by far, even over getting me a Youth pass and having him buy point-to-point tickets, but I don't know if that's allowed.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:37 AM

Unless you are BOTH traveling on the <b>same class</b> pass you cannot sit together <b>unless</b> your husband is willing to sit in Second with you.

First class passholders can sit anywhere; Second Class passholders can only sit in Second Class.

Yes, you can try to both sit together in First but be prepared to get kicked out if and when the Pass is checked.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM

Aren't &quot;saverpasses&quot; for two people traveling together at all times? If so, you may both have to buy one to get that deal rather than one person on a saver and the other on a youth.

I'd call RE to clarify that issue before making and final plans.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:16 AM

I'd also try buying your train tickets elsewhere than RE--less expensive.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:19 AM

I suggest inputting your proposed itinerary at www.railsaver.com to see if passes will be more economical than point-to-point tickets.

generally speaking, the more you use passes the more economical they become.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:38 AM
ira

Hi tara,

Why would DH buy a 1cl pass if he will be sitting in 2cl?

Have you looked at FlexiPass? Good for 2 or more people traveling together.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:20 AM

&lt;I'd also try buying your train tickets elsewhere than RE--less expensive&gt;

Dead wrong advice in this case. Though RailEurope has a rep on this board, and justly so of jacking up prices on point to point tickets they actually sell Swiss Passes at prices significantly LOWER than at the station in Switzerland for the exact same pass. (Compare RE prices with those on www.sbb.ch - Swiss Rail web site)
And Swiss Pass prices always have to be sold at the same price in the US - there is no variance allowed under the contract with each agents. I always recommend folks contact BETS for their Swiss rail expertise -(www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for Swiss Pass info and sales as they work thru RailEurope but don't charge some of RE's fees (like paying it seems $25 to talk to someone at RE when ordering).
Dukey has given you the good answers regarding saverpass - but why is DH buying a first class saver pass - why don't you both buy 2nd class saverpasses? The best bet for most is a 3-day flexipass at $150 each in second class. There is not a youth pass in the Swiss Flexipass form - in any case even on consecutive day passes if you average the single traveler price with the youth price and compare with the saverpass it comes out almost exactly the same p.p. - in your case there is no reason to do the youth pass it seems.
For help with understanding Swiss trains i'd advise you to look at www.ricksteves.com and www.euraide.com and also get the free European Planning &amp; Rail guide from Budget Europe at the home page i referenced above.
And about railsaver.com - the fares they use to compare with a pass are Raileurope fares i believe and thus highly inflated over what you'd buy in Switzerland - check www.sbb.ch for real prices in Swiss Francs - you'll find they are often half as cheap as RailEurope prices that railsaver.com uses for their comparison, thus making the comparison worthless - like comparing apples to oranges. Of course inflated prices helps railsaver sell railpasses, their main business.

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:49 AM

Glad to know but did the OP say they were travelling in Switzerland? Maybe I don't understand--the Swiss pass is good throughout Europe?
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:03 AM

Oops don't know how i got Switzerland in there - but the fact that averaging a single first class pass price with a single youth second class price with the first class Saver pass price nearly always comes out about the same so it's a no-brainer to go the saver route -
For example take the 15 day Eurail Saverpass vs 15 day Eurail Youth and 15 day Eurail single 1st class:
1st class one adult = $605
2nd class youth pass = $394
total for 2= $999
1st class saver (per person) =$513
total for two = $1026 - just $27 more than individual passes - savings are similar on practically any Raileurope pass so i think going the 1st class saver route is a no-brainer - for $27 you both travel together and in first class to boot!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 07:04 AM

To add - i think the OP made the mistake of taking the 1st class saverpass price for her DH when in fact he'd have to buy a single first class pass at a much higher rate as, as Dukey says, saverpass is only for two or more people buying the exact same pass - an adult and a youth pass cannot be included on a saverpass but require individual passes.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:22 PM

BUT does a EurailPass save them money overall.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM

I think the OP was comparing the price of point-to-point tickets on the RailEurope site; which is why Gretchen questioned the use of that site. As we know, it's best to price tickets out at railsaver to see if passes are worthwhile in the first place.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM

I agree with the earlier observation that often two 2nd class saver passes are less expensive than any single pass and a youth pass.

As for RailSaver, don't waste your time. Their prices are not accurate. Once I priced a route on RailSaver and it said point-point tickets would be less, and gave a price. When followed the link to puchase the p-p tickets, they were much more expensive than they had originally qouted.

Bottom line, there is no better method to compare ticket prices than the old-fashioned way - WORK. Find the national rail sites and find the actually fares there.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM

I have heard that the German rail site is the best to use.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM

You can't purchase a 2nd class Eurail pass if you're older than 25, which would explain why she was buying 1st class for DH. We would have gladly traveled 2nd class but didn't want to be separated from our teens so had to buy 1st class for them too.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:54 AM
ira

Hi mntravelers4
&gt;You can't purchase a 2nd class Eurail pass if you're older than 25, ...

A very good point.

&gt;We would have gladly traveled 2nd class but didn't want to be separated from our teens so had to buy 1st class for them too.&lt;

Couldn't you just buy 1cl for the older travelers, 2cl for the teens and all sit in 2cl?

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:14 AM

When your pass will be checked and you have a second class seat be prepared to hear &quot;You stay if you pay&quot;.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:18 AM
ira

Hi G,

Are you saying I can't sit in 2cl if I have a 1cl railpass?

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:34 AM

If you have a second class you can only sit in 2nd. If you have a first class you can sit in either.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
ira

Good.

That's what I suggested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -