Boutique hotel in Rome in early March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good boutique hotel for me and my wife in Rome that is close to the major sights? We will be going for 6 days starting Feb 27. I know it may be cold and wet, but how cold degrees (F) wise. Can we expect snow? Also, I heard that the amount of daylight is short, but some say 4-5 hours, is that true? Wouldn't it be like NYC in terms of weather and daylight? We may consider a day trip outside of Rome for a day. Any suggestions? Thanks for your reply
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:15 PM
rex

Albergo del Senato.

See www.worldclimate.com

Snow very, very unlikely - - something between NYC and Washington DC for climate.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:47 PM

Hello from Detroit

We stayed at The Empire Palace Hotel this past November. I would Highly Recommend it too. It is off the beaten path of the Major sights, but close enough to walk to them. Right around the Hotel is the American Embassy. Via Vento which is really Ritzy but a great place to stroll and People watch. There are quite a few Old Churches right down the street from the Hotel, and You can hear the bells ringing. Also little markets and restaurants right around the Hotel. The Staff atht he Hotel are wonderful, Friendly and Speak English. Breakfast is inclued with the Room, and it was Fantastic. The Best Coffee, served in small pots, and comes with warm frothed Milk. Salami's, Hams, Cheese, Fresh fruit, Yougert, Breads, Eggs, Bacon and Sausages, Frreshly baked Crossinats chocolate ones too. And several kinds of Jucies and Bottled Water, Cearls and Huge Cherry Tomatoes that was Awesome. I stayed there for 12 nights, and it was a Pleasure to stay there. The Staff really is Wonderful. Every email I sent them got a return answer within a Day. Expdeia had a special on this Hotel. Good Luck and Rome is Awesome.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Take a look at sunrisesunse.com for daylight hours, in Feb won't be too bad. Temps will be cold but not freezing, I agree snow is quite unlikely. Weatherbase.com is also a good source for historical weather info. Feb is good in terms of no crowds in museums and at most sights, as long as you are dressed for it you will be fine IMO. Wear layers, as I find most buildings to be overheated so you may want to remove layers once you are inside. Bring a hat and gloves and good boots as streets can be wet. You can check your coat in most museums, which is easier than carrying it around.

There is certainly enough to do in Rome for 6 days. For day trips nearby, if you want ruins like Pompeii but much closer, go to Ostia Antica, less than an hour by train. Rick Steve's has a good self-guided tour to Ostia, go to http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0202/ostia.htm. The catacombs outside Rome are a great 1/2 day trip as well. A little further, a lot of people like Orvieto, a very well preserved medieval town with a Gothic cathedral. This would be something over an hour by train. I know from your other posts that you have already been to Florence, which I wouldn't recommend for a day trip anyway. The area north of Rome called the Sabina has lots of little villages as well. Get some guidebooks from your library and do some reading and see what interests you.

Do you have a hotel budget, as "boutique" can be all over the price range. No hotel is close to all the major sights really, as Rome is a bit spread out. The Spanish Steps area is a good location, a lot of people also like the Pantheon area as well, and the Via Veneto area has its fans also.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:40 PM

Sorry website for daylight hours is sunrisesunset.com
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there first week in March last year. We took the overnight train from Zürich. Venice had snow, Florence had snow but Rome was fine. However, we did have a day of torrential rain. The kind that destroys an umbrella. That was our museum day. The following day was sunny and we had to strip off our layers because it was so warm.

Make sure you look at the weather forecast before you go and pack wisely. Bring extra shoes if it rains. Mine got soaked and had to wear different ones in the evening. Also, plan your itinerary accordingly. We did the Vatican museum when it rained and the Roman Forum during the sunshine.