Search

Bordeaux

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Jim

Bordeaux

We were planning to spend two nights in Bordeaux in October but somebody suggested that we skip Bordeaux. What do you advise?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Lucy

Hi Jim,<BR>I personally much preferred the nearby gorgeous & enchanting little village of St Emillion to the city of Bordeaux which I personally foind lacking inteh charm presnet in most of the other palcse I visited in France (in its defence it didn't help there was a lot of construction/roads work going on while I was there.)<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:30 PM
nevil

I stayed there one day, had a hotel around the train station and centreville. It was terrible down there. I hear maybe other parts are OK, that's all I know.<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Lucy

Sigh, I really should proofread before rushing to hit the post button - hope you got the gist of what I was saying!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Jan

We were just in Bordeaux in August. I thought that it was a nice city. It was a real, vibrant working city...unlike St. Emilion. Unlike most others, I did not like St. Emilion so much. It was much too Disney-ish for me. It may have charm in Sept. but in August I thought that it was too touristy and "done".<BR><BR>That said, two nights in Bordeaux itself is probably to much. You could use it as a base and explore around it.<BR>Have a great trip,<BR>Jan

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Camlec

I second the comment on the train station and centre-ville. Wasn't a great place to stay! Our hotel overlooked a park with lots of active nightlife!<BR><BR>One or two nights in Bordeaux would be enough - I wouldn't go back, espcially with so many nice little towns around it.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Gail

I am going to Bordeaux after Labor Day to start a tour of the wine region, however, I have 2 free days before the tour starts. Could you give me some suggestions other then St. Emillion? I will have a car.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:09 PM
Robert

We just returned this week. Bordeaux (City) has enough sites to keep you busy for at least a day or two. Since most of the sites we visted were wine oriented, you might already be going there. If you aren't headed to the Medoc region, a day trip up the "Rue de Chateauxs" up to Margaux, and Pauillac, is interesting. Other than that, a day trip to Arachon (spelling??) and the dunes nearby might be nice. I would definately skip Cap Ferrat though