Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Books to Read Before/While visiting Bavaria

Mar 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Would love suggestions for good historical fiction set in Bavaria (visiting Salzburg/Garmisch/Munich areas)... Looking for books for both myself and kids (Sons - 15 and 13, Daughter - 10) to read before and during our trip to give some good perspectives to the regions we're visiting.. thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!! I have done quite a bit of research.. but would love to hear personal recommendations rather than just Amazon /YA results! (reposting with tag for Germany only since i can't figure out how to add tag to original post where i mistakenly left off Germany!)
Mar 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM

We had a thread about this in the last 12 months but I can't find it - just looked under the posts I commented on but it's all too confusing .... in any case if you're visiting Bavaria, specifically Passau, you might be interested in a film, The Nasty Girl (Das schreckliche Mädchen). That was quite a major film when it came out and it's often set for learners of German history. It's about a girl who uncovers the Nazi past of her city, and is semi-biographical. Shows how people are still coming to grips with this part of history. Will probably take some explaining for the 10 yr old.

Lavandula
Mar 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the movie suggestion.. i'll definitely look into it. I did quite a few searches within the forum for books but didn't find much on Bavaria..
Mar 4th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Sophie Scholl and the White Rose is about the student resistance movement that started at Munich University. Google White Rose and you will find a lot of book suggestions.
Mar 5th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks ikeade! Will ck these out..
Mar 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Bavaria is over 1200 years old, our suffering just began in 1871. Don't expect to get any infos on Bavaria in this forum, except how to get to Neuschwanstein from Munich.
Mar 5th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

logos999 ... don't get your response at all.. why are you on this forum if it's so terrible? Why not make suggestions if you think everyone else is incapable?
Mar 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM

I assume that you do not read German. If I am wrong, I have read a couple mysteries by Martin Schüller set in Garmisch that were interesting. There is also a sometimes fun series about "Kommissar Kluftinger" based in Kempten, Allgäu.

They are available through Amazon.de. I bought a few of them in Bavaria as well.

Regards, Gary
Mar 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Gary, Thanks for your reply however you're right.. I don't read German unfortunately! Any others with thoughts on good reading for the region?