Found a good book....how about you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I love the book thread but 691 posts makes my eyes water so I am trying a new entry (please excuse my presumptuousness). I recently read Eric Larson's Devil in the White City, a book about the world's fair in Chicago juxtaposed with a serial murderer on the loose in the city at the same time. It was very good! Also this very rainy Pacific NW weekend I read Julie Powell's Julie/Julia book which I really enjoyed. It's her irreverent (read: lots of swear words) take on her project of making every recipe in Julia Child's: Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. Of course I am also enjoying all the James Frey furor and although a friend gave me his book (A Million Little Pieces) I haven't read it yet. So what about the rest of you readers?
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I know what you mean about the 691 posts, but I ended up printing off the posts and highlighting books that I thought would interest me, and then took that list to the library. I just finished "Three Junes" by Julia Glass and started on "Ester's Child" by Jean Sassoon. The Devil in the City is next on my list. Too many books, too little time.... Jan (twina)
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Laurie King's "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" and the first sequel, "A Monstrous Regiment of Women." These are the only pseudo-Sherlock-Holmes mysteries that actually work; the Mary Russell character is inspired, and the writing is excellent.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

I loved the Three Junes, in fact whenever I see it on the tables at Borders I wish I still had it to read.I also love Laurie King but haven't read any of her latest so I'll have to do that. I just bought a Dorothy Sayer anthology so I could read all the Peter Wimsey stories in one fell swoop. It was a little much at times, but a good accompaniment as I trod along on the elliptical trainer at the gym.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I read City of the Falling Angels" about Venice - only thing it made me so want to be there! In the book the author describes many of the local characters - one is the plant man. He walks around carrying/dragging potted plans and singing loudly. I was so excited to read this because on my last visit we had seen this guy! One of those great vacation moments.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

I am really looking forward to the DaVinci Code movie to relive some vacation moments as well.Escapism is definitely needed as the deluge continues here in wa. state.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:32 AM
tod

What a find! I have just been down to our local bookstore called Exclusive Books ( may even be a worldwide chain?)
and bought two of the most fabulous books on the Musee D'Orsay and The Louvre. Both by Alexandra Bonfante-Warren, a former associate editor in the Department of Publications at The Museum of Modern Art, New York, is a freelance writer, translator,and editor living in New York City. She is the author of several books and articles on art, interior design and travel.
These books are just gorgeous (approx.18"X10&quot and weigh about 5kgs each.
Naturally they depict the hundreds of paintings in these two great art galleries with a note and comments on each work of art.
Paid R213-00 each on Sale.(Approx.$25 US?)
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:14 AM

If anyone is going to Italy esp Liguria I strongly reccommend Annie Hawes's two books "Extra Virgin" and sequel "Ripe for the Picking". I found them the first really good non-patronizing books about a foreigner's life in Italy. Really entertaining.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:41 AM

In preparation for my summer trip to Italy, I've just finished Extra Virgin (agree it's a good and often humorous but objective view of Italian life) and Mapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant (a psychological thriller set in Italy - not the type of book I'd usually read, but it really grabbed me).
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:24 AM
TC

I am re-reading Beach Music by Pat Conroy. One of my all-time favorites. His language is amazing and the characters are addictive.

Recently read Shutter Island by Denise Lehane (Mystic River). What a great mystery with a kick of an ending.

Looking forward to Seduction by Catherine Gildiner and Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts while on my beach vacation. Seduction is difficult to find in the U.S. but a huge hit in Canada. I had to purchase it from one of the "alternative sources" on Amazon.

Seduction review:
http://www.bookclubs.ca/catalog/disp...676976540#desc

Shantaram reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...60960?n=283155
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:55 AM

Thanks, Sueholl, for starting a new thread. My best reads I've found here from fodorites. . Right now I'm reading "Almost There" by Nuala O'Faolain. Her first book was " Are You Somebody". I believe I liked it a little better. Next I have "Snow" by Orhan Pamuk. If any of you have not read "The Kite Runner", you are missing out on a really good book. I too loved "The Three Junes" Now, I must go book shopping. Joan
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:01 AM

I just finished Kite Runner... I thought that it wouldn't hold me after I read the first 10 pages or so....wow! It sure surprised me. I loved it...
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:02 AM

Oooh, I love the book-related threads! If you do a search here under Fiction set in Europe, you'll get to another LOOOOOOOONG thread with lots of good suggestions.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM

I am currently reading The City of Falling Angels. Having just been in Venice, I am thoroughly enraptured with it. Because I don't want it to end, I am also reading some "fluff", that takes place in 2 of my favorite places, Italy and France. The author is Elizabeth Adler. Summer in Tuscany, Invitation to Provence, The Hotel Riviera, most recent has Amalfi in the title---can't remember it! These are great when you are looking for something light!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:28 AM

Hated Kite Runner (worked the plot out right from the start) Loved City of Falling Angels.
Best book I have read for a long time is Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. Superb! Do check it out, and it's about 900 pages long so perfect for those long flights....
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM

Lindam, I think it's "A house in Amalfi". I like Adler's books for light reading to wish I was there. Just finished City of Fallen Angels and made me wish I was back in Venice or going for Carnivale. I'm reading the REading Group right now by an English author whose name escapes me and it's prety good.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:02 AM

I am currently reading Pillars Of The Earth (highly recommended here) and I am really enjoying it. My trip book will be Sleeping with Schubert. Also highly recommended here. I gave it to a friend and she said it was one of her very favorite books. Life of Pi, Snow Flower and The Secret Fan and Marley and Me were all good. Has anyone read A Year In Provence? Is it worth reading before I go?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:10 AM

swalter,

Elizabeth Noble - I read The Reading Group book last year while on vacation in Negril, perfect beach reading.

For non fiction try 'The Tipping Point' I picked it up from the library at Jamaica Inn, Jamaica and left behind 'The Secret Life of Bees' - I think I got the better bargain
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you like a mystery, food and the Dordogne, I suggest;
"Deadly Slipper" a novel of death in the Dordogne by Walter Wan.
And I finally got around to reading Bill Richarsons's "Waiting for Gertrude" a graveyard gothic.
A fantasy where all the famous dead come back as cats in Pere La Chaise.. Alice B is waiting for Gertrude Stein. Some very odd coupling as between Colette and Jim Morrison.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM

"Last Flight Out" by Randy Wayne White. Also the author of the Doc Ford adventures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -