Search

"Bookmarking"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Bookmarking"

Dear Posters - I am not one to attempt to place controls on an open forum. I would, however, like to present (again) an alternative to the "bookmarking" of threads, which is:

Favorites

Whenever you post to old threads with the term "bookmarking", you raise that thread yet add nothing useful to it, and cause newer threads to be pushed down the list.

Rather than bookmark, why not simply add the thread to your 'Favorites' by creating a "Fodors" folder and saving them there? The benefits are:
- you will never have to scroll thru posts to find the one you want (even clicking on your own name presents a list of threads that you have to scroll through if you are an active participant)
- the threads will continue to be active even though you have saved them, in other words, saving as a Favorite does not mean the thread becomes static - it's just a link to the actual thread itself

"Favorites" is an Internet Explorer convention; I'm not sure what the equivalent is for Firefox or Netscape but there is no doubt one available.

I hope you consider my proposal. Thank you.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:49 AM

I amtopping this in hopes that it will receive maximum exposure. Couldn't agree more. You have been more than accommodating by not venting the obvious frustration the practice causes.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Well said!!! I have always wondered why this was done myself unless you are bookmarking a particular post in a thread with many many posts it seems pointless. I have many files in my favorites list for different cities etc. I just rename the threadd to make it easy to find later.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:10 AM

It might be useful to add a word or two about how to save a thread as a Favorite (or Bookmark):

Right-click the thread title at the top of this column. You will be presented with some choices (that are different in each browser). Left-click the one that specifies saving the thread, and follow the subsequent instructions. You can create new folders under your Fodor's folder, such as city or country or hotel or restaurant.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Pausanias

Just as easy on Mac's Safari. Just click "Add Bookmark" when the page is open and send it to its proper folder, renamed, if desired.

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Pausanias, yous is not as the same as Robespierre's, is it? Then Your way does not work. It doesn't give the page that you wanted to bookmark. Robespierre's does.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Pausanias

Worked for me.

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Pausanias

Or maybe not!

Follow Robespierre's directions. (I mean, Fodor's Robespierre.;^)

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your additional comments.

Another thought about using "bookmarking" is that it adds non-information to a thread - for an A/R personality like me, this means I have to "clean up" the thread before printing to eliminate wasted space.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
A contrarian view. I have frequently missed an old thread but found it interesting when someone else brought it to the top. If someone finds it interesting enough to bookmark, chances are that other people will also.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Pausanias

Bookmarking

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Many people log on from work computers and it's easiest to bookmark to locate when you get home.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Do you consider thanking someone the same as bookmarking?

Many posts I print have dead space due to the OP thanking the responders. I always try to thank those who respond to my post, or who post a good trip report.

Also I agree with the PP that says s/he checks this site both at work and at home. I do too.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:10 AM

>>Many people log on from work computers and it's easiest to bookmark to locate when you get home.<<

Easiest is to right-click on the link to a thread. There's an option to copy the URL for the thread, which you can then paste into an email to send to your home email address.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Jed

Reasons can always be found to justify bookmarking or topping a thread. But as Travelnut says, it causes "newer threads to be pushed down the list."

The older thread has had its chance. Isn't it fair to give newer threads and their writers their rightful chance?
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

I don't categorize "thank you" toppings as "bookmarking" toppings, as one is out of gratitude and the other is out of "convenience".

It is a good point about Favorites being saved to the current hard drive. I have often emailed myself links to things, espec. as many sites are not "allowed" by the company security programs.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM

On a Mac, if you depress the control key before clicking on the thread to open it, you will be given a variety of choices, including adding it as a bookmark.