Bologna--Worth It?

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Jane

Bologna--Worth It?

I will be travelling in Italy this summer. After a short stint in Genoa and then a stay in Portovenere, I was planning on staying in Bologna overnight before going on to Florence. I have not heard much about Bologna, so I figured that I would try to get some input. Has anyone out there stayed in the countryside somewhere in the proximity between Portovenere and Florence that they can recommend? Thanks!

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:56 AM
anon

no

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:01 AM
nancy

Jane,
I haven't
but if I had an extra day to get from north to south,
I would have definitely stopped in Bologna,
From what I have read and heard,
it is a lovely city.
For something smaller,
I am sure there is alot out there, though.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Alyssa

Hi Jane,

I stayed in Bologna for a week a few years ago when my husband was on business there. I was not overly impressed however, I think it was more my own fault because it was my first time there and I did not research it enough to find things to do before I went. The shopping was great and just walking around there were quite a few sights to see as in all the cities in Italy. I have also read quite a few posts from travelers on this board that say that is is a nice place to visit. If nothing else the food and wine and pastry shops are magnificent!
Have a great trip!!

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Oscar Meyer

When yhou talk about balogna, you're singin' my song. Why, I'm proud to say that my Bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R!

etc. etc.

Old May 17th, 2002, 08:36 AM
marylou

Bologna is architecturally fascinating, I thought much more so than Genoa which other than C. Columbus has no claim to fame. It has colonnaded (arched but tall enough for a man on a horse to pass underneath)streets stretching in all directions in the old part of the city. It is also famous for the best food in Italy. Parma, a town, is nearby and worth a visit just to eat. I ate the most exquisite meal of my life in Bolognia in the most gorgeous restaurant, called Papillion, if still there. The crystal was so fine you could not imagine it being washable, just use it once and toss it away. Also Bologna is a main stop on the train lines if that is your mode of travel. I think it is worth a night for sure.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Therese

Bologna would be a great place to spend a day (or more). Cool architecture, nice shopping, reputation for great food (I didn't get to eat there, so can't recommend). I'd go ahead and book a room, though---I was there right after 9/11 and things were pretty busy.

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Darla

Bolgna---worth it?

Bologna is worth maybe $2 a package. Now pickle-loaf, whoa now, that's another story!