Bologna restaurant

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Keri

Bologna restaurant

We'll be spending our last night in Italy in Bologna -- would love to get some recomendations for a great restaurant for our last meal!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Santa Chiara

I can help but I need to know your expectations. Local? Expensive? Super
expensive? Willing to take a taxi? I can give you my recommendations, but they don't always correspond to Gambero Rosso, but I can give those too.

Mangia bene a Bologna.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Annabelle

If you see something that translates in English to Volcanoe Pizza, tryit!!! It is the best thing I have ever had....and I am not a big pizza fan at home. Every time I think of Bologne, I remember that awesome dinner!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Ken

The best meal we had in Bologna was at Trattoria da Pietro, Via Falegnami 18, just off Independenza. Tel # 230644. Best to have a reservation. Moderately priced, friendly owner, unforgetable food. We were there in the fall and the roast loin of wild boar was fabulous as was the Panna Cotta.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Severin Hayn

The Pizza in Bologna is outstanding! When I get there, I just yell "Get Into My Belly!" and it comes a runnin' and jumps in!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Paul

Just returned from 6 days in Bologna.
Avoid Rodrigo even though it is on many lists as one of the best. Over rated, over salted and generally poor. Terrible value and way way below expectations.

We also were not thrilled about Diana which supposedly is #1 in town. Admittedly we ate a set menu with a group but again we were not impressed and our expectations were not reached.

Our best experiences were with two small restaurants which though excellent would not fit your desire "for a great restaurant for our last meal." il Portico at Via A. Righi 11 and il Doge di Mario at Via Caldaresse 5. Both small but good but certainly not in the grand haute cuisine you are looking for.

Good luck and please report back.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Keri

Thanks for the recommendations! To answer Santa Chiara's question -- we're more interested in something with some local ambiance and great food than anything. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so we're spoiled by amazing dining options. We like to experience the smaller, local places when we travel.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Santa Chiara

My two favorites right now are Scacco Matto on Broccaindossa (off San Vitale) and Anna Maria on via degli Arte. I had lunch the other day at Scacco Matto: squash flowers stuffed with a delicate cheese and mushroom sauce topped with a light, fresh tomato sauce for starters. For the secondo, I had a sliced duck-breast salad. The duck was as good as any I have had in France. And for dessert I had a pistachio semifreddo with raspberry sauce. My friend had a coffee-caramel semifreddo. One of the best meals I have had in a long time.

Anna Maria makes its own pasta fresh everyday. You can watch them in the window around the corner. Their tagliatelle con ragu (invented in Bologna, of course)is some of the best in town. But I invariably end up ordering their tortelloni with gargonzola sauce. So good, I actually ordered a second helping one time.

Another good one is Sandro de Navile. You have to take a taxi, but it's worth it. Try their vanilla ice cream with aged balsamic vinegar. Sounds awful, tastes delicious. It's a little out of the way, so you have to take a taxi.

A good local restaurant near the piazza is da Nello, one block to the left off Indipendenza.

Terasina is a good Sicilian seafood restaurant also just off the piazza.

All of these are very local, although Anna Maria gets a lot of the fair trade so has a menu with English translation (boo). Da Nello's menu may have English too, I can't remember.

You would be advised to make reservations (or have your hotel make them). Bologna is the No.1 eating out town in Italy, according to the surveys.

I agree about Diana, vastly overrated.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Santa Chiara

Annabelle, would that be pizza terremoto, which is earthquake? I have never heard of it, and I am curious. What's on it?

Ken, thanks for the information about da Pietro. That's a new one me; I will have to try it.

Paul, I second Il Portico. Excellent cotoletto alla Bolognese as well as good pizza.

For the highest-rated gelato in Italy (Sunday Times), try Il Gelatoro (the cow logo has two ice cream cones for horns) on San Vitale for artisan ice cream. My favorite is schiacciatare (?), vanilla ice cream with big chunks (some the size of your thumb) of bittersweet chocolate. They also make unusual kinds like zenzero (ginger), green apple, ricotto and others.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:33 AM
jade

Off the subject a bit, but is Bologna a nice place to spend a few days? Are there interesting sights and museums?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Alice Twain

Keri: Do not let yourself be tempted by those who propose pizza in Bologna. Bologna is one of the food capitals of IUtaly and it would erally be a pity to dine on a pizza when you can have some of italy's best food available. Pizza is fine, even in Bologna, for a fast lunch while you ar eon the move (although a sandwich with local bread and mortadella or prosciutto di Parma or salame di Felino or coppa piacentina followed by a piece of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is much better), but in the evening do not allow yourself to be tempted by this easy and well-known food. Probably the most world-wide famous food of Bologna is ragù alla bolognese, you will have the occasion to taste the real thing that all the various "bolognese" recipes have been trying to reproduce (usually with little success). Ragù alla bolognese is usually served on a dish of tagliatelle, the local handmade fettuccine. Another must is lasagne, made with handmade pasta sheets, ragù alla bolognese, bechamel sauce and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Than there are cappelletti (caplèt), pasta filled with a meat, cheese and mortadella mix, plied in a shape that is siad to remind a woman's navel and boiled in a meat soup. also look for mostarda, a sweet and hot fruit mix, somewhat similar to chutney and used as a sauce for boiled meats or hard cheeses. My favorite sweet from bologna is tagliatelle cake, very thin tagliatelle garnished with almonds and sugar and baked in a thin layer of dough. Another sweet must is zuppa inglese, with sponge cake sprinkled with liquour and garnished with chocolate and vanille creams.
A good site that is currently undergoing some works that lists restaurants in Bologna is http://www.tekneimmagine.com/bolognalocali/index.html. Contact Laura Curti if the site is still offline before your departure, tell her that Alice Twain from it.hobby.cucina addressed you to her site.

JAde: Bologna is a gorgeous city off the main trourists track but with lots of thing to keep you entertained with. Spend at least a couple of days in this city and you will not be disappointed. One more thing: all the tourists that go to Pisa usually do not know that Bologna ahs TWO leaning towers instead of one.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Keri

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm getting hungry reading all this! Now I'm also wondering if we should spend an extra day in Bologna. Right now we're scheduled for 4 days in Venice, then 1 in Bologna before we depart. Maybe 3 in Venice and 2 in Bologna?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Chris

Definitely 2 days in Bologna, and you won't feel you've had enough. It is a beautiful city, great to walk around in, and full of great, great restaurants. An unexpected treasure.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Graziella

I wish to thank Santa Chiara and
Alice Twain, I feel like returning to Bologna....RIGHT NOW...thank you again for your great information.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Santa Chiara

Keri, Somehow I forgot the "hottest" restaurant in Bologna, Gambero Rosso rated: La Pernice e La Gallina at via Abbadia, 4. Phone number is 051-236-415. This is the trendiest restaurant in Bologna and gets written up all the time. I have only eaten there once, for lunch, but it was one of the best risottos I have ever had. This would be my No. 1 recommendation for someone who is accustomed to SF-level cuisine (my favorite, too).

I can't advise you about how many days to stay in each. There is so much to see in both. However, if you are coming to Bologna anytime from mid-July to the end of August, I would advise only one day; the place is dead at this time.