Blue Grotto Capri ..or pass?

Jan 17th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Blue Grotto Capri ..or pass?

Planning a 5 day stay in Positano mid-May. One of those days we will be 'tripping' over to Capri. A friend tells me to bypass the Blue Grotto experience and visit other spots on the island with the time it would have taken. Think we'll be sorry for that omission?
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I reco doing it if the water/weather conditions allow when you're there. It's definitely a tourist trap - but a fun one - and it doesn;t take very long.

Just don;t wear white linen pants the way I did - the row boats have water in the bottom - and you have to lay down to get through the opening to the grotto.
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Just returned from a cruise that stopped at Capri, and we took an excursion with a very cool Italian guide up to Anacapri. The lower town of Capri was also interesting, just walk through all the back alleys which are full of shops. Not enough time there. However, the weather was very cool and rainy. I was glad I didn't opt for the Blue Grotto instead. I also ran into a friend whose mother just returned from a Blue Grotto excursion and cut her head open on one of the stone formations hanging from the roof of the Grotto. She was hurt pretty bad from what my friend told me.
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM

The Blue Grotto in Capri is one of the things Capri is famous for. So at least you can go once to see what it is all about, then you don't have to do it again. Yes, it is touristy, but very beautiful with unbelievable royal blue colored water; it should not be very crowded in mid-May yet. Why not go see it since you will be there anyway?

One way to do this would be to take a 11 euros boat tour around the island that leaves from the Marina Grande (where all the boats dock). The 3 hour tour goes around the entire island and you see the Fariglioni Rocks, the Arco Naturale, Anacapri, Monte Solaro, etc. It makes a stop at the Blue Grotto on the way back and you would have the oppty to see it at that time (without having to make a special trip there, per se).
Jan 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM

As you can tell, this is a yes and no matter. Yes, the Blue Grotto is famous in a touristy way, but no, it's OK to bypass it as did we in favor of time on Anacapri. The Grotto is a bit chancey depending on weather anyway. Lots to see in the area.

ozarksbill
Jan 17th, 2006, 12:40 PM

We skipped the Blue Grotto with no regret, had a marvelous time exploring Ana Capri, the Natural Arch, and Emperor Tiberius' Villa.
Jan 17th, 2006, 02:35 PM

We enjoyed the Blue Grotto experience quite a lot. Just watching the entire operation of getting visitors of all ages, sizes, shapes, and degrees of athleticism out of the larger boats, into the rowboats, then lying back in the rowboats to get through the Grotto opening was fascinating.

Then getting them out of those rowboats and back into the tour boats--what a hoot!

Oh, and the Grotto really is very nice.
Though I did catch a bit of an earful from Mrs. Fly because she claimed that I seemed to enjoy having the Swedish girl in front of me reclining in my lap as we went into and out of the Grotto. Of course that wasn't so--I was too enthralled with the beauty of the azure seas to notice her.

We also enjoyed the boat ride there and back.
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:50 PM

We did the Blue Grotto a few years ago on a day tour to Naples, Capri, and Sorrento from Rome. It was in April and the weather was just lovely the day we went south. We loved the Blue Grotto experience but you should be aware that if it is crowded you might wait in a boat for a while until you board the smaller boats to enter the grotto. Because of this you may be "bobbing" for a while in the boat and if your prone to sea sickness it could be a problem. My daughter was about 11 at the time and she was feeling queazy...she just kept her head down while we waited (I too was getting a bit queazy after a while)- however, there were two people on our boat who were really sick from the motion and that took a toll on them for the entire day. The other thing is that we had to climb out of our boat into smaller boats to go into the grotto so you should also make sure that you are up for that experience, too. Don't carry big cameras or day packs. Once you get inside it is a lovely experience...
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Sorry - should have mentioned this is not for you if you're not reasonably fit. The trip requires climibing from an open launch - holding 20 to 30 people - into rowboats in the middle of the sea. The harder part is climbing from the rowboats back into the launches (which are considerably higher - you need to balance on the side of the rowboat and make a large step up over the side of the launch onto the seats).

If you're very petite or not agile or unsteady this is not something you should try (the older woman in our rowboat was very short and didn;t have a chance at doing it herself - but so tiny that the two boatman just pulled her up from the rowboat by main force).
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:29 PM

I suppose if you don't know what you're missing you'll have no regrets. But, having been to the Blue Grotto, knowing what I know, I'd regret not going. My husband and I were in Capri for about 3 days and saw most of the island. Yes you have to climb off of a small boat into a smaller row boat but my husband and I were 40 at the time and had no problem. And, there were nice young good looking Italian men to give you a hand There were however some elderly people who chose not to go. You do have to lay down in the small row boat to get inside the cave, but that is all part of the experience. But once you're in there it was really amazing. Everything was florescent, truely amazing. Kinda like being on a dark Disneyland ride but it was all from nature.

I second the idea to do this while on a boat tour around the whole island.
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM

I liked it. We didn't take the boat trip to the Grotto area, we took a bus and had a very scenic ride there.
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:37 PM

We felt silly and touristy, but wouldn't have missed it. The blue grotto is so famous, I would have wondered what I missed. It was indeed beautiful. We rented a small boat for 4 people and putt-putted around the island. We did have to wave down the Italian Coast Guard when our engine quit (turns out it was just something caught in the engine). After a while, we anchored at the blue grotto and after waving down a rowboat, transferred into the rowboat for the trip into the cave. It is one of those experiences that I laugh at having done, but have to admit I really enjoyed.
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM

IF, and I say IF it is open when you go, I wouldn't miss it. No, you won't be sorry that you missed it if you haven't experienced it. For me, who stayed in Capri and went back three times for it to open, I felt blessed that I tried so hard.

After trying the tour boat around the island the first time (and it wasn't open), I was happy we took the boat anyway, because of all the things we saw.

The second time, we took the bus to Anacapri, then a second bus to the Blue Grotto, and it still wasn't open, but there were a number of swimmers jumping into the sea, then into the grotto. I started to do that, but chickened out. My husband did it, and swam out talking about the wonders inside.

The final morning, we woke early, and took the bus back to the grotto, arriving at 9 a.m. It was open and the boats were there. The row boat picked us up from the little landing right there, we paid the fee, and were taken in. Because the tourist boats hadn't arrived yet, we got to stay inside for a while. Incredible experience, especially putting your hands into the water where it catches the light and gets all sparkly.
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM

And then, there's the chance the tide will make the water level too high or the winds will make the waves too high, and you'll be out of luck whatever you decide. Although I haven't been there in May, I've done the swim-in thing a couple of times in the fall. It has never looked as good as the postcards. If you're only there for a day, I'd skip it.