Need to pre-book in June?

Jan 15th, 2006, 11:07 AM
katiegirl

Need to pre-book in June?

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland in late June. We are flying into Galway and out of Dublin and plan to do a self-drive vacation.

My question is, aside from Dublin, how important do you think it is that we pre-book our lodging for the trip? We would prefer to decide on where we will stay as we travel since we don't have an exact date of when we will arrive at each stop - we would rather play it by ear.

I know that July and August are the busiest travel months in Ireland so pre-booking is sometimes advised, but is would you recommend against a stay-as-we-go plan in late June?

Thanks for your help!

Jan 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM

I travel to Ireland every year during the 2nd or 3rd week in June and I always pre-book. It may not be important if you are traveling to out of the way places but Dublin, Galway and other popular spots can be a problem. Hint, if you arrive somplace that has a tourist office and are having trouble finding a spot they can usually help and I also have had luck just by talking a B&B proprieter who is full. They help each other out and they will usually get on the phone to try and find you a spot. There are lots of sites that list Irish B&B's with booking forms. Town and Country Homes is very popular. Have fun
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
rex

Hi... and welcome to the Europe forum (a "place" that some uf "us" treat like a second home)...

It's a common custom... and courtesy... here to include info about your destination(s) in your mesage header.

Would you please re-post... and mention Ireland (or more specific locations within Ireland) in your message header?

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM

If you stay-as-you-go in June, be sure to start your search early in the afternoon. Waiting until 6pm or later could leave you in a desperate scramble, especially in June.

Better yet, ask your host before check out to recommend a B&B near your next destination... they usually will make the call for you.

Otherwise, as JOHNOD suggested, the tourist office is a great resource...they can hook you up with a place to stay in any Irish town...and they'll make the calls for you. I've been in offices where they had to call five places before they could find accommodations for that night. There is a small booking fee for this service, but it can really be worth it.

Otherwise an up-to-date guidebook can be very helpful as well.
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM

MYOHMYOHMY... I didn't realize there were such rules (customs) about subject headers. I thought stating your destination was just more efficient.

ANYWAY... katiegirl, I always want to know where I'm staying when I arrive and depart. We've traveled to Ireland without reservations in between with no problem, but that was in autumn.

John's suggestion is spot-on, go to the Tourist center and seek and reserve places from there. You pay a percentage and have guaranteed housing.

Have a grand time!
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM

If you do not care where you stay then you can go to Ireland at any time of year and not make reservations. Obviously the best places will fill with reservations first. Less desirable places will be left over or those that are a distance from the towns and cities.

Are you on vouchers? How long are you staying?

If you are looking for places to stay on your own it takes time. It is possible it could take a couple of hours every day before you find suitable accommodations. Do you have the time to do that? Would you rather spend time enjoying your vacation or look for accommodations?

As for myself, I would pre-book.
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
rex

A simple scan of the message headers will show that it is a common custom Danna. I didn't use the word "rule" - - though it is in the ("Help") FAQs, provided by Fodor's itself, indicating that this is what THEY think you should do.

I do think it is appropriate to think of it as a common courtesy - - and indeed rather inconsiderate to fail to mention any destination. It's a bit of a self-proclamation (often inadvertent, I realize) that your post is "so important"... that everyone ought to stop and click on it, to see what (place) you're asking about.

And my posting is a courtesy as well, not a scold nor admoishment... to someone who has never posted here on the Europe forum before - - evne though she registered her screenname on Fodors over two years ago.

That likely also means that she may not know how to find this thread... since her new registration date pre-dated this important change, provided to all newcomers since October 2005:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34689740
Jan 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Hi Katiegirl,
Pre-booking isn't necessary in June if you aren't a picky sort. Schools are still in and the Europeans aren't travelling in hordes yet.

If you have special requirements, I would definitely prebook.

I like the footloose and fancy free way myself!

Cheers,
Jan
Jan 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM

katie, your question reminded me of an incident I witnessed while a guest at a small B&B in Bourton on the Water last year. Someone came to the B&B door as a walk in guest and they were told the place was full even when it wasn't. The owner told me they only accept prebookings and not stop by guests. I don't know if this is typical of B&B owners but it might limit what is available to you if you are in a small town without access to a tourist center or large hotels. I thought it was rather inhospitable of the B&B owner but that's how he chooses to run his place. Deborah
Jan 17th, 2006, 06:51 PM
katiegirl

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like based off of your suggestions we will prebook just to be safe.

About my subject header - I apologize about not including my destination in the subject line. I erroneously thought that since I was in the Ireland forum when I posted it that it would be located only there and not available to the whole board. Sorry about that.