Search

blow dryer

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:49 PM
wendy

blow dryer

I have been told it would be more economical to purchase a blow dryer when I get to London instead of buying a converter for my own hair dryer. Is this true? And if so- where can I buy one the first day I arrive? I will be staying at the Thistle Westminster. Does the hotel sell them? Or perhaps the airport?<BR><BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:00 PM
xxx

This has been answered many times here. Either buy one locally there in a department store, or buy one here at Walmart or KMart or similar -- for about $18, you can get a dual voltage model that you switch to European voltage. You then only need an adaptor plug -- not a voltage converter.

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:54 PM
blow

If you're looking for excitement, taking your own blow drier is definitely worth a try! I plugged mine in in Paris, right adapter, right setting on the dual voltage, turned it on and voila, "BAM**@@$%^&(!!!" I had to double check to be sure I was still alive. <BR><BR>To my surprise, my blow drier actually worked when I returned to the States! It was a miracle! <BR><BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Elaine

If they sell hairdryers at the airport or hotel, they will probably only have the most expensive models, or the fiddly little travel ones. <BR>You'll be able to choose from a much wider range at any Argos, Index or Boots store. Index start at 5 pounds, Argos just under 6 and I don't know about Boots, but probably slightly more expensive. <BR>Just ask your hotel concierge where the nearest one of these is - I should think there will be at least one of them fairly close to your hotel.

Old May 11th, 2002, 02:05 AM
xxx3

First, you should check with the hotel. They might provide them.

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:30 AM
lilly

I've traveled through out most of Europe and never stayed in a hotel that DIDN'T have a hair dryer....if not built in, they have them at the front desk. I have never stayed at anything like a hostel though so this might be different??? Check where you're staying before you buy anything.

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Dallas

Definitely check with your hotels to see if they have one before you buy. I never carry one anymore since I nearly burned up an old hotel in Salisbury with my hair dryer. Like Blow, I was using the right voltage converter and adaptor plug, but the wiring in those old hotels is very old. When I turned on the hair dryer, it blew the lights in half the hotel and burned out my TV.<BR><BR>Rather embarrassing, even though they were as nice as could be about the whole thing.

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:40 AM
S

I thought it was just me, I swithched my travel hairdryer on in a hotel in Chicago and promptly fused all the power, lights etc!

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:58 PM
xxx

Is it possible for you to stay at a hotel that provides a hairdryer in the bathroom? That way you won't have the extra expense of buying one plus the adapters.

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Davis

My hairdryer from home with all plugs and adapters melted in Ireland. We were out of town, but I had really lank hair for 10 days.

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Bob C

We have had two dual voltage dryers and didn't like them because they only worked on low in the 220v mode. On our last trip to England we picked up a 220v dryer and loved it. We also picked up one in France and now are set for about anywhere.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Tracey

I just went on their website and they have hairdryers in each room.<BR>http://www.thistlehotels.com/main/ho...ster/index.xml

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Beth

Our hotel came with a hairdryer, but it had no power (just a quiet little wisp), so we were really happy we had brought a dual-voltage with the converter plug. Just make sure you switch your travel dryer back when you return! I stayed at a local B&B the following weekend; fortunately I had not removed the converter plug, which was enough to jar my jet lagged memory - otherwise I would have blown the fuses in the entire house.