Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Black forest and southern Germany in October with kids

Feb 18th, 2019, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm planning to spend two weeks early- mid October in the Black Forest and Southern Germany with my family (7,10 year olds).

My key concern is the weather and whether toursit attractions are still open/ available.

I've been reading many conflicting views on this time of year. On the one hand many recommend October as it less crowded and foliage starts to develop while other claim it could be too cold and potential attractions may close.

Personaly, I would consider temprerature of 12 C and higher comfortable for travel. I've also seen the key attractions are still open (Europa park for example).

Would appreciate any insight on the suitability of this destination for that time of year.

Thanks!

Roi
Feb 18th, 2019, 09:12 AM

I personally LOVE travel to Switzerland and Germany in early October. I have been quite lucky with fall weather there in 10 of 11 trips.
What tourist attractions specifically are you wanting see, so that others may weigh in?
Feb 18th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
I was thinking on things my kids might enjoy mixed with some hiking for measure, such as:
1. Badeparadies Schwarzwald
2. Europa park
3. Todtnau alpine coaster
4. Aventure parks (such as Mehliskopf)
5. Park mit Allen Sinnen
6. Hiking
7. Triberg falls/ Rhine falls

Perhaps a couple of days in the cities in the area. Something along these lines.
I am pretty flexible schedule wise but thought about concentrating on south Germany/ Alsace perhaps

Feb 18th, 2019, 09:47 AM

You going by car? To hit those places a car would be great as public transit is not great in Black Forest areas, at least to go to those places. But yes the weather could be chilly and rainy so mix in some cities like Freibourg too.
Feb 18th, 2019, 12:40 PM

This is a really good time to be in Germany. About this time or just before the leaves turn brown and fall off trees by the million, the temperature is comfortable although you will want a jacket and a sweater, and you have the end of the summer harvest. It's also the season for the new wine, although with kids in tow you probably want to keep that to a minimum, but there will be wineries open in the area you plan to visit and new wine in the pubs. In the south of Germany you also have Legoland (Günzburg, between Stuttgart and Munich), which is not far out of your way. It is still open in October. You also won't get any snow, so ideal for driving; I think from November onwards you need snow tyres on your car. I agree with PalenQ, for the places you specify and general sanity with a young family, car is definitely the way to go.

Lavandula
Feb 19th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much.
Definitely going by car. You've eased my concerns regarding the timing. Sounds like it's a better timing than summer.
Feb 24th, 2019, 04:39 AM

We travelled to the Black Forest in October two years ago for a short break during half term which was the last week of October. We stayed in a Homeaway rental in the small town of Schuttertal. We actually had very good weather, warm enough for shorts and t-shirts when sat in the garden in the sun. There was one damp and gloomy day so we opted for a trip to Freiburg on that day. Also visited Strasbourg.
We didn't find anything that was closed, found a park nearby with lots of trails including a quite steep one that had a tunnelled slide that took you to the base of the hill however I can't recall the name of the park unfortunately, the kids really enjoyed that.
Feb 24th, 2019, 05:53 AM

One of the tricks to enjoying touring Germany is to find out where the Dutch camper vans go. Bits of Mosel/Saar might be nicer and the walking is fantastic.
Mar 1st, 2019, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Booked tickets to Basel. going for a southern loop through Munich I think.
I'll post my itinerary after some research. Thanks again.
Roi
Mar 1st, 2019, 05:14 AM

Anxious to see your itinerary Roi as we're considering a visit to the area in October as well.