Bistros in the 7th

Search

Bistros in the 7th

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bistros in the 7th

I'll be in Paris for 3 nights, 17-19 of November and will be alone. Does anyone have any recommendations of places for dinner in my neighborhood? I'd like something not too expensive, but good typical French cuisine?

I'll be staying at the Turisme Hotel, which is by the La Motte-Picquet Grenelle metro stop.

Also...if anyone has any tips for nearby cafes for breakfast or interesting shops, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks so much for your help...

Margy
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:33 PM

LE BISTROT DU 7ME on Bd. de la Tour Maubourg offers good value for money. 2 or 3 course lunches at fixed prices (with good choice of entrées, plats and desserts). Be early 'cause it's popular with office people.
PASCO, also on Bd. de la Tour Maubourg offers Mediterranean cuisine at a fair price. Again, not the typical tourist place.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:41 AM

The previous post has good ideas. Fontaine de Mars on Ste Dominique corner of rue de l'Exposition is excellent. Very inexpensive is the Auberge de Champs de Mars on rue de l'Exposition. VERY VERY good (at 33E)is Le Florimond on av. Lamotte Picquet. Good brasserie is La Terrasse at Metro Ecole Militaire.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:54 AM
ira

Hi m,

Also
Le Petit Troquet 28 r Exposition
01 47 05 80 39
Metro Ecole Militaire Off Rue de Grenelle

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
tod

When we stayed at the Hotel Duquesne this October the very charming lady receptionist told us to go to Bistro "B" - it's either on La Motte Picquet or Avenue de Lowendal (sorry can't emember which).

What ever your do don't go to La Terrasse- it was awful!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Don't go to Bistro de Breteuil. Mediocre food,
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM

I disagree--we had a first-rate meal there, and the price of 31 € for 3 courses, including an apéritif, a bottle of wine, and after-dinner coffee, is hard to beat.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I , too, have to agree with Underhill and there certainly were a lot more well dressed locals than tourists when I've been to the Bistrot de Breteuil.mMaybe you just chose wrong because the crab ravioli ,duck, kidneys,lamb and scallops several of us enjoyed , while not Tour d'Argent quality, were certainly better than "mediocre".
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM

And I don't agree about La Terrasse. You can have just a bite or a meal. And it is more than adequate, but not fine dining. We've spent some good times there.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM

I've had two mediocre experiences at the Bistro de Breteuil, but both times it was more the presence of huge busloads of tourists than the food tha bothered me, and from reading others' comments that probably isn't the norm.

Agree completely with the recommendations for Le Florimond and La Fontaine de Mars. I've also had some good, inexpensive meals at the Auberge de Bressane, and for Indian food I loe Punjab, right off the Place Ecole Militaire.

I don't mind La Terrasse for a coffee or glass of wine, but I wouldn't eat there.

On the rue Cler there are a number of cafés that serve breakfast (including "American-style" breakfasts). I like to go there sometimes early in the morning and nurse a noisette while watching the stalls come to life. There's also a Flo there that has amazing take-out, plus an Asian store with delicious dumplings and other finger foods.

Just avoid the Café du Marché - that place is really yucky!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM

I highly recommend you go to one of my favorite places, Bistro Champetre, in the 15th. That is just a block or two south of Charles Michels metro stop at 107, rue St Charles. You can just go two stops on the metro directly from La Motte Picquet. It's a very nice bistro with virtually all neighborhood residents, but they are very very nice there. I always go as a single woman, and they are really nice to me -- once they made a point of giving me a special seat in their window which has a view of the Eiffel Tower (not dead on -- to the side down the street) which is nice when it is sparkling. Anyway, it's just locals, families, occasional students, etc. It is also 31 euro for a complete meal with wine (entree, main course, dessert and wine, including aperitif), same as Bistro de Breteuil, because it's the same owners. They have several of these bistros around Paris with that pricing concept. I've been to two (Champetre and one near Trinite) and both were excellent. I think I read a few mixed opinions on Breteuil, so maybe this chef is better, or maybe those who think Breteuil just have different opinions than others. I would never describe Champetre's food as "mediocre", I think it is very good for that price. Also, it is one of the few places to get good profiteroles (included as one of the desserts), as many places won't serve them anymore as they are a lot of trouble, if done correctly. They do them correctly (meaning they are warm and the puff pastry is not stale).

There are plenty of cafes around that stop, you don't need to plan that out so much, just stop in one that looks good. I was taking some French classes in a school near there for a while and always stopped in one of them before or after class--I like the one on the SW corner of that intersection best for breakfast, I guess, but the one on the SE is good for lunch.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!

I'll let you know how it goes...

margy
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 10:30 PM

I loved Auberge de Champ de Mars! Fontaine de la Mars was good, but I somehow felt more at home at Auberge.

Bistrot de Papa gets mixed reviews on this board, but I really enjoyed it (twice).

Another vote for Bistro de Bretuil, and try to go early so you can walk off your meal while the night is still young!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Fortunately Bistro de Papa has put itself out of its misery. The moules were delicious--the service totally attitudinal and ridiculous. Something else is there.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:01 AM

Le Pierrot, 67 avenue de la Motte-Picquet, is quite reasonably priced and should be a short walk from your hotel. Prix-fixe menus at 10 & 11.4 euros.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Our favorites in the 7th are Fontaine de Mars, Clos des Gourmets, Le P'tit Troquet and, for a very reasonably priced meal, Bistro du 7eme. We also did not care for Bistro de Breteuil.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Here is my list...

Le Florimond , 19 av de La Motte-Picquet - Very popular and a cute place. Be sure to make a reservation so you aren't disappointed.

Le Petit Troquet, 28 rue de l'Exposition - Zagat rates them a 22 for food and says its down to earth. I plan to try it on my upcoming trip in 2 weeks.

L'Affriolé, 17 rue Malar - Another Zagat rated place. This one get a 21 for food and says it has “inventive contemporary Bistro cooking" and is an “exceptional value for the money”.

Au Bon Accueil, 14 rue Monttessuy - I love this one. It's a nice place with a decent menu. I am going to go again on my upcoming trip.

Le Sancerre, 22 ave Rapp - This one is a nice little wine bar with food. Very nice atmosphere.

La Fontaine De Mars, 129 rue Saint Dominique - This is your classic French bistro. I would highly recommend it. The servic eis so friendly and welcoming and the food is delicious. The starters (entrees) are particularry good. It's not cheap but a nice evening out. I have a review on my blog from my trip last year..

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...taine_de_.html

If you want a few suggestion in other locations around Paris check out my restaurant pages from my blog last year.

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartp...eat/index.html

I will also be in Paris from Nov 19-27 and I will be blogging LIVE! to my websight. Join me in my travels for some new suggestions...

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM

oh, my! I didn't realize that Bistro de Papa was gone.....see, I need to return to Paris to investigate.

I loved their moules, too! But the service was pretty good for me.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:04 PM

We ate at l'Affriole a couple of years ago and did not care for it. BUT it may have changed hands since that time--I think I read that on another board. We also like Clos des Gourmets--it is small small so make a reservation. Another good place is Les Olivades on rue Segur--Provencal food.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Jody: I don't think we "chose wrong" when it comes to Bistro de Breteuil. I was with 5 other people. We all ordered different things and were ALL less than thrilled.

I'm not saying Breteuil is not a "good deal." It's just sometimes: You get what you pay for.

Paris is just too special not to have all your meals be great, so why waste your time on mediocrity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -