Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BILLY ELLIOT the Musical in London: I booked our tickets!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yipeeeeee! I booked us tickets to see Billy Elliot the Musical in London in September. Now I'm excited.

It was hard to decide between Hairspray, Billy Elliot, or another musical.

We liked Billy Elliot the movie and I like the fact that it is a good one to see in the U.K.

Has anyone seen it?

It's at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London, and we're sitting in the B row in the Dress Circle. Tickets were expensive, but we very rarely see musicals (this is only my second musical ever, NOT counting school productions!

I wanted Saturday tickets but they didn't have any good seats left, so I got Monday tickets. (September 2008)
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
dmlove

Yay! I was deciding between Billy Elliot and Dirty Dancing. I loved both movies. In the end, we're seeing a Friday night performance of Dirty Dancing at the end of August, figuring we can see Billy Elliot in New York!. Enjoy!

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
dmlove

By the way, I booked the tickets online on a Monday, and the actual hard tickets arrived in California on Thursday!

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM

We LOVED Billy Eliot when we saw it in London in Oct! The leading role was played by a FABULOUS singer/dancer!
Best of all, I had no trouble understanding the accent!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:03 PM
Uma

We saw Billy Elliot a few years ago, and thought it was great.
You are in for a treat! Enjoy.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

dmlove: Enjoy Dirty Dancing...and I hope you get to see Billy Elliot in New York!

I went through a lot of indecision and difficulties to get these Billy Elliot tickets, but now that they are booked, I'm excited. I'm kind of glad that Saturday night was all booked, because since I had to get tickets for Monday night, that means seeing Billy Elliot will finish off our trip...it will be the last thing we do before flying back to California the next day. I think it will be a nice finale!

dmlove, I had a scare when I received an e-mail saying that our Billy Elliot tickets would arrive as late as 48 hours before the performance. Gulp...that wouldn't have worked because by then we won't be home...we'll be travelling in Europe! I freaked out, but found a phone number to call, and Seetickets said no problem, when you don't live in the UK, they hold the tickets for you at the box office...so we can pick them up on the day of the performance. (Took me some time on the phone to find that out...)

I booked from the web-site billyelliotthemusical, and it directed me to Seetickets web-site to book. The booking fee was small.

tropicalkerry: Thanks for sharing that you loved Billy Elliot in October! Which boy played the leading role...do you remember his name? I wonder who we will get?

I don't know much about theatre actually, so I have no idea if you are any more or less likely to get a lead instead of an understudy on Monday as opposed to Saturday...but anyway I didn't really have a choice since Saturday was sold out except for some bad seats that I didn't want. But I've heard people say that the understudies are fantastic too!

(Am I using the right words here...the lead and the understudies...hopefully those are the correct terms.)

Uma: I love to hear from people who enjoyed Billy Elliot, so I appreciate your comments.

What I like about Billy Elliot is there are multiple things to appreciate: music, dance, acting, some history, and social commentary. An interesting combination...plus an inspiring story...

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM

There are three different boys who alternate playing Billy...you never know which one you'll see. One has a great voice, one is a great dancer and one is very acrobatic. I saw it shortly after it opened, and thought it was just an OK musical. But my opinion might be biased because the night I saw it was an unusually hot evening and the theater was quite uncomfortable.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM

It's interesting about the child labor laws in the UK when it comes to the theatre...there is a limit on the amount of time a performer can work who is under age...lots of shows have child leads or children who play important roles...example the children in Sound of Music...there are 3 different sets of children who alternate...Billy Elliot...three different Billhy Elliot's which means there is no such thing as an understudy...same is true of say Gavrouche in Les Miz or the children who played Jane and Michael Banks in Mary Poppins....

I don't think the law is as restrictive in NY..I'm not sure but I don't think there are 3 different sets of kids playing Jane and Michael Banks in the Broadway production of Mary Poppins (which is still running unlike the one in London) but the part is so strenuous that I think when Billy Elliot opens on Broadway in October, they will have 3 different sets of Billy's, Michaels, the ballet girls and whatever while the adult roles are filled by the same people most nights. Example Sound of Music in London, there is one lady playing Maria but again sometimes at the matinees they use an understudy. (or it is advertised the understudy will play the role every Monday evening, for example).
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:40 PM

Melissa, never fear. YOu will have a fine time. I saw "Billy Elliot" in the West End in 2006. I was also in the dress circle, and it's a great seat. Yes, they alternate the boys who play Billy, as well as some of the other parts played by children.

Do report back to us in September, and let us know how you liked it. Enjoy your visit to London....
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Very interesting to hear everyone's different views of Billy Elliot the musical. Thanks for taking the time to post! I'll give you our report when we get back in September...

SusieQQ: It's good to know that one Billy has a great voice, one is a great dancer, and one is great with the acrobatics. Actually that helps to give me realistic expectations.

xyz123: Sounds like the UK has better child labor laws than the USA does.

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
dmlove

There were definitely at least two rotating "Gavroches" when Les Miz was in San Francisco.

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM

Melissa, don't forget about the half-price ticket kiosk in Leicester Square. You may wish to see some other plays while you're in London--it doesn't get any better than that!

Mamma Mia is great fun, too!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM

Ohhhh, there is so much theatre to see in London.

Too much London, not enough time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:35 PM

I saw it in London not long after it opened and enjoyed it. Yes, there are three different boys playing Billy Elliott -- all are considered equal, not understudies. We saw the one who was supposedly the best dancer. Frankly, it was the one thing I was disappointed in. To me the whole point is that this boy has no training in dance, but he has a natural energy and natural sense of rhythm. But this kid was clearly well trained in ballet and seemed way too studied. Kind of picky, I guess, but it seemed against what the show is about.

I'm curious, Melissa if you bought your tickets direct from the theatre or through an agency and how much they cost? I've never had tickets sent from London but always held for no fee or very minimum fee at the box office.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM

I've seen it a couple of times in London and now have tickets to see it Thanksgiving weekend (Saturday matinee) in New York...

It will be very interesting to see whether...

1. Any changes are made (I doubt if they will) to make it more understandable for an American audience (accents)..

Don't really see how but of course there is a great deal in there that is very British history oriented besides the dancing (the miner's strike, the effect on Northern England of the nationalization of the coal mines)...(spoiler sort of coming)...

Of course the start of Act II with the two folks coming out and telling a couple of anti Tony Blair jokes (and anti American thoughts too) followed by the song about Maggie Thatcher ("you're one day closer to your death!&quot

Some of this might spoil the show for some Americans not aware of the historic importance of this stuff....
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM

melissa:

we saw it in May, and enjoyed it immensely. After we came home, we rented the movie...saw the original movie a few years ago.

Might suggest pre-theater dinner across the street at Prezzo..good selection, fast service and not outrageous even with the 2-1 exchange.

stu t.
Old Aug 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm swamped right now trying to finish our plans for London, Prague, and Krakow for our upcoming September 2008 trip! Yikes! So exciting but I feel sooo behind.