Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London trip cancellation, refund on concert tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again
Thanks to all who responded to my question about the "Abbey Court Hotel" confusion. If you read my earlier post, you know that our family vacation had to be cancelled as our son broke his leg and is not able to travel. I have been working hard to cancel reservations. The flight is taken care of, all hotels are cancelled, the rental car cancelled. Tickets to events have been more of a problem. I was thrilled this AM to find a fax waiting for me from the Royal Shakespeare Company, stating that they had credited my Visa card for the total price of tickets I had reserved and had held at the box office in Stratford.
I am holding (physically, in hand) very expensive tickets to a sold out concert in London during the Hampton Court Palace Festival. Seetickets.com, the official ticket agency that I purchased from has not responded to my emails. Has anyone got any advice on how to proceed? I do plan to attend with my husband, would it be appropriate to ask the concierge at my hotel? Not only would I like to get my investment back, it would be a shame for these tickets to go to waste. I went to a great deal of trouble just to obtain them myself.
Thanks for any ideas or advice!
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM

If the tickets can not be refunded, perhaps you could sell them on eBay?
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:53 PM

I doublechecked your previous posts, Tallyanna, and it sounds like you're referring to the Eric Clapton concert. I gather you decided to stay home completely, and not even do a weekend away. Sigh.... That's the way it goes sometimes. Why not try Eric Clapton's official website? There may be some fans who are willing to buy tickets from you, especially if they're being offered at face value. When I saw Paul McCartney last year, his official website (they have a discussion board) did that. Fans posted their extra/spare tickets, and other fans were glad to get them at face value, without resorting to the high scalper prices. I bet some fans in London would like your seats! You can refer them to the Fodor's board, so they understand your predicament, and trust you more. Give that a shot, and let us know how it works out.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:01 PM

I just googled Eric Clapton websites, and there are two major ones, but they require a payment to become a member and use the discussion boards. Rats. eBay is a possibility. Have you thought about offering tickets on the London site for Craigslist?
(I just realized this concert is only a week away.) Good luck.
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:07 PM

...I reread your post, Tallyanna, and it appears that you will be attending the show, after all. Perhaps you and your husband are using two, and you have two to spare. I say, try Craigslist. There might be some Clapton fans who are scanning that page, and would already be in town.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:30 AM

Post again with Eric Clapton tickets in your heading. Someone on this forum might want them. I know I would had I not broken my wrist and am unable to travel (so I really symphatize with you!). I have in the past sold an extra ticket for a musical just outside the theatre, to someone waiting in line for returns. I don't know if this is legal though; perhaps its ok if you are selling it at face value, not making a profit as ticket touts do. Anyway, that would be a last resort if you cannot sell them beforehand.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:58 AM

It's perfectly legal to resell concert and theatre tickets (if a bit ethically dodgy).

Have you tried people like Stargreen who may well buy them off you?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it is the Eric Clapton concert and the buffet dinner by Waitrose before the performance. I did post it on Ebay, have never sold there before, but it doesn't seem to have posted to the UK site. I'm looking into that. It would be great if I could get something back on the investment and what a shame for these tickets to go to waste. I certainly don't want to turn a profit, but, I listed the tickets to be picked up in London and paid for in GBP. I already paid once for a currency exchange on these babies, don't want to do it again.
All in all, everyone that we had reservations with has been quite kind and offered refunds or credits with the exception of See Tickets. To be fair, it is clearly stated that they do not give refunds unless there is a problem with the performance.

I didn't think of Craig's list and never
heard of Stargreen. Thanks again. I'm off to check those out.

The good news is that my son had a really great check up and his leg will not need surgery. He is not cleared for travel, however. So, my husband and I are going to go. DH still doesn't know about the tickets to the divine Mr. Clapton and his fabulous band. I wasnt even going to tell him where we are going to celebrate his 50th, but, after buying the new non refundable flight tickets, my conscience got to me. I tried to tell him, but he stopped me after hearing "passport" and "pack for some cooler weather." He said he didn't want to hear another word! Now, next is to tell the boys that we are going away without them. More good news, Virgin Atlantic has been wonderful about waiving fees for rescheduling the family vacation, and we are going together to England over the Christmas holidays. So, all will be well........

Now, Eric Clapton has since announced his N. American tour and one of his stops is Jacksonville, Florida. That's my hometown and Derek Truck's as well! So, I will be buying tickets for that show too, and our young aspiring rocks stars can go to that show, if they keep their limbs intact!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 08:49 PM

I wonder if the consierge at your hotel might be able to help. It doesn't hurt to ask!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Hey, TallyAnna, I'm wondering if you managed to sell/give away your extra Eric Clapton tickets. How was the concert? I'm sure you felt the trip was worth it!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Merseyheart and friends!
I'm still in a daze and culture shock at being back in N Florida. Our quick trip to London was fabulous!
Clapton and band rocked the palace! It was the best concert that I have ever attended. The audience was eerily quiet and restrained. I guess the British aren't as rowdy at rock concerts as we Americans? Hardly a toe was tapping, while I was dancing in my seat and trying not to make a spectacle of myself. The worst thing for us was that we took the wrong tube and ended up at the Richmond station, went all the way back to Wimbledon and took the National Express train from there. We got there right as Clapton went on stage and entirely missed the dinner! An employee at Hampton Court told us later that EC himself had called that he couldn't get onto the M25 because of terrible traffic and was advised on alternate route. Lucky for us, he was late as well!
I did sell my extra tix to Eric Clapton at the last minute. I posted them to eBay UK, after first posting to eBay and then realizing that they were not visible in the UK. Super nice man bought them and I delivered the tix to him at his London office while DH slept. I sold at a loss, but was glad to get anything for them and really glad that the tix were used and enjoyed. My buyer was entertaining an American client from California and I think that all involved were happy with the arrangement. They said that the dinner was really great too.
Will try to post the details of our trip later this week. We made some mistakes, all were transportation related. Still, it was a sonferful trip. I love London!
Anna
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

sorry, make that "a wonderful trip"
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Ohhh, that's great, TallyAnna. I saw Clapton once in concert, so I know how superb he is. And you had an adventure on London's mass transit system. It wouldn't be travel without a few surprises like that one. I'm glad you sold the extra tickets to someone who could appreciate them.