Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best website for Oppen Jaw tickets?? Please help??

Jan 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM
mvs
Original Poster

I am in desperate need of help. I need to book two airline tickets from Seattle to Rome on 4/1 and then Naples to Seattle on 4/9. What are the best websites to purchase Open Jaw tickets? Going to the Airlines direct sites are a joke!!! Their prices are ridiculous and have very limted options. Thaak you in advance for your help!!
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Hi
I'm a rookie here, but my favorite at this point is expedia.ca

Others to try?
orbitz.com
exit.ca

Hope this helps
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:29 AM

i usually do a search on orbitz, expedia, etc. for pricing and routes then book direct on the airline's website or by telephone.
Jan 29th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I just use Travelocity or Expedia to search fares for open jaw tickets. If you know a specific airline that you want and services those cities, I would think an airline's website should return the same results (or better). The prices shouldn't differ, but it's hard to know what you think is ridiculous, maybe that's just what the fare is. That's a very long trip and I don't think Naples is a city with great air fares and April is past the usual date of good current sale/winter fares (which seem to end in March). So I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.

YOu can also check www.itasoftware.com which shows you a zillion combinations (almost too many sometimes), but gives you tips on terminal changes and long layovers, so that's convenient). They also order them by price, number of stops, etc., and that's convenient.

Expedia shows that route at @1125 combination of BA/Alitalia, but itasoftware comes up with a $1009 fare combing USair going and Alitalia/UAL returning. Of course, I think you are going to be stuck with two airport changes on the way back as you won't get a nonstop flight from Naples to either the US or a major European port city, probably.

I just think that is going to be a difficult route due to the Naples departure.
Jan 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Naples and Rome are not so far. Would it be worth taking a straight Seattle/Rome RT ticket instead? Usually people are looking for open jaw when their two cities are a more significant distance from each other.
Jan 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM
mvs
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses. I wanted to try and get frequent flyer miles on any NW or Alaska Airlines partners-unfortunately, NW prices on this itinerary would be about $1500/ticket, and for some reason, NW doesn't partner w/Delta Song, only Delta. It look as though I'll have to book w/another carrier for the best price-seems to be US air over there and Alitalia-United back. So far, Orbitz has had the best prices by far. Expedia's options are much more limited and are a couple hundred dollars more per ticket-same with travelocity. Any other ideas would be appreciated!!