Need more advice on trip to Swiss/Italian Lakes/Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you who have helped us plan our trip so far. We have not been to these locations before and have more questions.

We will arrive Zurich on a Saturday morning, flying to Milan on Monday morning. (Flights are locked in, so no changes there.) We will train to the lakes from Milan and spend five nights between Lugano and Varenna/Bellagio before picking up a rental car and driving to Tuscany. We are trying to decide in which location in the Lakes to spend two nights and which to spend three nights.

I'm primarily interested in photography and am interested in visiting Villa Carlotta, Morcote, and other "charming" spots. My friend is most interested in sitting on a pretty balcony and staring out at beautiful scenery, and shopping. Yes, sometimes we "do our own thing." I wanted to go to Orta, but that will take much too much time--will need to save for another trip. Any thoughts on how to split our time? Does anyone know if it is feasible to pick up the rental car in the Lake area or if it is easier to train to Milan and pick up the car there?

Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Hi luvtotravel,

I can't really recommend numbers of nights on Lake Como, as I only did a short day there.

However, for picking up a rental car for Tuscany - where do you plan to go in Tuscany? I would train further south than Milan, then get the car.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking of either Pienza or Montepulciano.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Luv,

Then you might want to pick up in Siena (after seeing the town), or Chiusi. Chiusi is less than 1 hour drive to Montepulciano. About 45 minutes if I remember correctly.

I rented from Avis (Autoeurope) and the pick up was a taxi ride away from the train station. However, other Fodorites have rented at an office within walking distance of the station. Must be Hertz.

You will probably need to change trains in Milan and/or Florence in order to get to Siena or Chiusi.
Old Jan 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

That looks to be sound advice, and I think we will follow it! Thanks much.

Does anyone have advice on how many nights to spend between Lugano and Varenna?
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if there is a facility to store luggage in Siena? We'd like a place to storage our things while we tour before we pick up our car. Thanks.
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Well, five nights between the two should work fine. I haven't been to Lugano, but it seems like 2 nights there and three in Varenna would work nicely. Three days on Lake Como should give you plenty of time to see the villas, boat to the various towns on the lake, and balcony-sit. If you get bored, there is easy transit to the neighboring lakes. Lake Como, by the way, is out-of-this-world gorgeous. Enjoy!