Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best way to travel from Vienns to Prague in Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be attending a meeting in Sept in Vienna and want to go to Prague, but are not sure what is the best way to travel bus, train or plane. The plane is very expensive so really a train seems more likely. Do I book it online or just how ?
Thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi t,

Ho wlong will you be in Vienna before leaving for Prague? If more than 2 days, you can buy your train tickets in Vienna.

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM

AS IRA noted, you can buy the tickets in Vienna. At that time you can also reserve seats. It's worth doing so, especially since you p[robably want window seats and, possibly, you have a smoking/non-smoking preference. You can pay with VISA, AMEX or other credit cards.

When you get to the RR station in Prague, ask the taxi driver beforehand how much he will charge you to take you to your hotel.

Have fun in Prague, you'll love it.

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both replies. We will be Vienna for about a week. I have been reading online that train tickets can be booked early as the train fills quickly so I wanted to make sure that our trip is in the morning.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Ira: why at least two days? Sounds like you can't buy them in less than 2 days? Perplexed by what you say as you can buy tickets right up until the time of the train i believe.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM
MaureenB

If you're traveling into or out of Prague, they might still offer the Prague Pass, which makes train travel a bit less expensive. My personal preference is to purchase my train fare from home, so I have tickets in hand before I leave for Europe. Try Budget Europe Travel, you can search that name on this site and find their phone numbers which I don't have at hand. Or try Euraide.com. Both services sell you the tickets at face value plus a small S&H fee. (Euraide has an odd way of estimating your costs up front, which I don't like, but they are honest and will get your tickets for you if you choose them.)