Reload this Page >

Best way to country hop in Scandanavia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:59 PM
bob

We have 16 nights, flying in and out of Copehagen. My thought was 4 nights in Copenhagen,3 stockholm, 3 Oslo, Norway in a Nutshell, 3 nights in Bergen, then I don't know. Then fly back to Copenhagen. My question is should I take the day train from Copenhagen to Stockholm so I can see that new bridge? How do I get from Stockholm to Oslo? What's missing? H-E-L-P! please. bob

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Rex

There's at least one low(er) cost airline serving Scandinavia - - Braathens, maybe more. But I don't recall if they serve a route as &quot;mainstream&quot; as Oslo-Stockholm or not<BR><BR>http://www.braathens.no<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>http://english.braathens.no<BR><BR>if you require.<BR><BR>They're in the process of being purchased by SAS, so I don't know how this will affect their pricing or services.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Sandra

I believe that the best way to &quot;country-hop&quot; in Scandinavia is on a cruise ship. All those countries are easily visited by ship, and it is such a great way to travel. PLUS, it winds up being less expensive (everything costs so much in Scandinavia). If you have not yet made your hotel reservations for Copenhagen, consider the Sophi Amalie. Great location, reasonably priced, nice people, and a terrific restaurant.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Geoff Hamer

You can take an overnight cruise between Copenhagen and Oslo (www.dfdsseaways.com). From Copenhagen to Stockholm, there are day and night trains; there's no point in choosing the day train in order to see the new bridge which is just outside Copenhagen and is crossed by frequent local trains to Malm&ouml;. Between Stockholm and Oslo, the choice is limited to a day train as there's no overnight service.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Clare

Scandinavian airlines offers coupons that you can buy and use on their flights within Scandinavia. Available to non EU citizens I believe, but breaks down the flight costs to around $65 per person per flight. If you are already flying to Copenhagen with them I would call and ask them about this air pass. You can also see more details on www.scandinavian.net and click on Air Pass. Apart from that I would rent a car for some of the journey that could not be flown so I could get out and see the countryside. Have a great time, wish I was going!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Snoopy

Clare is right, except I think it cost me $75 from Copenhagen to Stockholm and $75 from Stockholm to Oslo.<BR><BR>About the Copenhagen to Oslo cruise on DFDS . . . don't plan on sleeping. When my wife and I took that cruise it was basically a party boat and there was quite a bit of noise and a considerable amount of drinking from the time we left the dock until we arrived the next morning. I did my fair share as well, but at 1:30am about a dozen people got into a yelling contest which turned into a &quot;who can sing his/her own national anthem the loudest&quot;. It was all in good fun except that it went on until 5:30am . . . Maybe if I had been in my mid-20s I would have been part of it.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Bjorn

Bob:<BR>With 16 nights you can accomplish a lot, but you'll have to plan and also, I think, leave some places out.<BR>Southern Sweden, by example, in favor of more Denmark. Except for Stockholm I really can't see what Sweden has that can not be found in Denmark and Norway. In addition, Denmark has Copenhagen, the ultimate capitol of Scandinavia, and Norway has its nature.<BR>With no doubt I'd go for a rental car and make it a grand circle from CPH. Start going west and all the Jutland up to Skagen. Br&oslash;ndum is a very charming place for overnighting and dinig up there.<BR>Close to Skagen you have several ferry options to Norway: Either from Hirtshals to Kristiansand at the Norwegian southern coast. Or from Fredrikshavn to Larvik or Oslo.<BR>I'd settle for Kristiansand, and then head for the Haukeli mountains through the Setersdal Valley. Then down to Odda, the southmost town in the S&oslash;rfjord, the longest branch of the Hardanger Fjord. Lofthus or Ulvik are nice and scenic places to stay.<BR>Then Bergen, and then Voss-Stalheim-Flam. You'll get to the &quot;nutshell&quot; highlights right here, and with a car you ar flexible to get to the more impressive places than the &quot;touristic&quot; and crowded spots.<BR>Then cross the Sognefjord, get to Balestrand or Sogndal. Head for Stryn, and do not miss all the glaciers and sights. Then further north: Geiranger, the Trollstig road, maybe also the Jugend town Alesund. From Andalsnes climb to the Dovre mountains by the beatiful Romsdalen Valley ending at Domb&aring;s. Then donwards the Gudbrandsdalen Valley, ending at Lillehammer, and then Oslo. Maybe (recommended) going west from Otta(midway down Gudbrand's Valley) to get to Lom and maybe also a crossing over the Sognefjell mountains to get back to innermost Sognefjord, and from there via Lardal to Fagernes to get to Oslo.<BR>Lots of options.....<BR>And then, when in Oslo, decide wether to make the long drive(600km) via Gothenburg back to CPH, or take the ferry. I guess that Stockholm at that time will be too exhausting.....<BR>Welcome to Scandinavia<BR><BR>Bjorn, Oslo

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Bjorn

In case plane is your choice: I do not know much about the fligth options in connection with your overseas flight. But if you decide to be airborne, then take into account that severel Scandinavian stretches come with big price reductions during summer. Also that Braathen now is purchased by SAS, and that there is a new domestic flight operator in Norway, the Norwegian. I guess you'll find info on the latter at www.norwegian.no, hopefully also in English. The point with Norwegian is that it offers low-coast tickets all the year, also on one-way flights.<BR>Good luck, and please forgive me all my typos.<BR>Bjorn, Oslo

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Dina

How long is it from Copenhagen to Stockholm by train?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:19 AM
helen

Dina, Copenhagen-Stockholm takes 5 hours by train.