boat to Stockholm

May 3rd, 2004, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

boat to Stockholm

I will be in Denmark (staying in Copenhagen) for a week in July and am just starting to plan my itinerary. I am interested in going to Sweden; we are going to spend a day in Malmo, but I just heard about an overnight boat to and from Stockholm. Does anyone know how I might get information about this? I heard about it second-hand from someone who traveled to Denmark years ago. Is this boat still around? Is this a feasible trip (we would go overnight, spend the day in Stickholm and come back to Copenhagen that night)?
May 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM

There is an overnight ship from Copenhagen to Oslo, Norway, that leaves about 5 or 5:30 pm, and arrives Oslo the following morning. There are inexpensive flights from Copenhagen to Stockholm (about $45 each way, see Nordic Airlines). Can you do an open jaws flight and then fly out of Stockholm? Otherwise, you'll be wasting time trying to cover a lot of travel in just a week's time.
May 7th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

We have already booked our tickets--flying in and out of CPH. It's much cheaper than flying out of a different place. 12 hours each way on a boat seems like too much time to waste when we only have a week and flying to Stockholm for a day may not be worth it. We may just limit our excursions to the Danish countryside and other Danish cities (Funen, maybe Ribe and possibly Roskilde) as well as Malmo, Sweden and maybe Helsingborg as well.
May 7th, 2004, 06:42 AM

There are no overnight boats from København or Malmö to Stockholm because the journey by sea would be much longer than overland. There are overnight trains, but it's not worth it for one day. As "Andeesue" has pointed out, you can go overnight by sea to Oslo (www.dfdsseaways.com); the ships are very comfortable overnight ships and it would be a good way of visiting Oslo, but there is no similar service to Stockholm.
May 7th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Would it be worth it to go to Oslo for a day, or would we have anough to do in and around Copenhagen and in Malmo and Helsingborg for a week?