Best time to fly to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken either the 5:25PM Continental flight from Newark to Rome or the 10:10PM? The first gets us into Rome the next day at 7:45AM and the latter at 12:30PM. The 7:45 gives us more time in Rome, however jet lag will most likely be involved but we most likely won't be able to check into our hotel that early. We are staying at the Hotel del Senato.

Just looking for some advice from those with experience traveling the evening flights.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM

It just depends on how your body reacts. We're usually so pumped up when we arrive at our destination that we can go for hours without a problem, so we'd want the flight that arrives the earliest. Dump our luggage at the hotel and off to see the elephant.

Other people would want the later flight.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM

I'd take the one that gets you in earlier. By the time you are actually at the hotel they may have your room ready, or if not, they will hold your luggage. It always takes longer than you think to get out of the airport and to your hotel.

jet alg will be involved no matter what. You won't care - Rome is great and you'll be SO happy to be there and ready to get going. Have an early dinner and go to bed early and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I've taken Continental from Newark to Rome many times arriving before 0800. Just remember that it seems to take forever to actually make it INSIDE the Rome airport. The plane seems to taxi forever, you will likely have to enter one of those elevated "people mover" vehicles out on the tarmac, then go through passport control, luggage carousels, customs, ATM stop,and board your chosen mode of transportation into Rome (its the train for me).
So, it could very well be 1100 when you actually walk into the hotel lobby. Even if the room isn't ready, you can check in and leave your bags, and have lunch nearby.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM

If I'm leaving on a workday, I like to leave as late as possible, so I don't have to take a day or half-day off work.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:33 PM

My preference is to arrive in Italy early. It is good to have time to take a shower, change clothes, have a meal and walk around in the fresh air. A light dinner, with some wine of course, a good nights sleep and the next day I am not feeling any jetlag. Getting in later seems to make the day of arrival a bit "rushed" and it seems that by the time one is situated, showered, had dinner it is time for bed without time to aclimate to the time change and without getting enough fresh air and walking time. That is always my problem with my flight from SFO to Venice. But that is just me, everyone is different of course.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM

The late flight is seasonal - i.e. summer only.

Anyways, I prefer later flights across the Atlantic. I have a hard time getting to sleep at like 8pm (after take off and meal service); so by the time I actually feel tired, I'm already halfway across the Atlantic and can only get 3 hours of sleep at best.

A later flight means more time to rest. Also, by the time you get into Rome on the late flight, your hotel room should be ready. So chances are you can immediately take a shower and/or a nap.

And WillTravel is right as well as that you can get more work done on the day of departure.

Anyways, both flights will be on CO's 767. Either the -400 or -200. No difference in seat or comfort.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Another vote for the early flight. We took the flight that got us in to Rome at about 8:30 am. We got out of the airport fairly easily, and were at our hotel by about 10. We only had to wait a few minutes and the hotel let us into our room, where we dumped our stuff and set out for the day.
Funny, because we're planning our trip to Paris for later this year, and made reservations for the early night flight getting us in at about 7:30, but I've been debating taking the later one, as my wife suffers from jet lag worse than I do. But, I think I've decided to stick with the early flight so it feels like we have more of the day when we get there, even if we are exhausted.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM

We just returned last week. We had scheduled a 3pm arrival but didn't actually arrive until almost 5.

I've done the early morning arrival before but I much preferred this late one. Neither of us suffered a moment's jet lag on this trip. I can't swear it was because of the later arrival time, but I'm convinced enough to stick with it in future.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Zakochaney

We arrived in Rome early also but we called ahead and asked if early arrival would be a problem. They said no. Call you hotel and see if they won't be as accomodating

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:23 AM

Most hotels are very accomodating. If they have a room that was unsold the previous night, they'd give it to you upon arrival. But if not, there's not much they can do, except letting you leave your bags in the hotel until check-in later.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:11 AM

We stayed at del Senato this past May. Our flight from the US arrived very early so our arrival to the hotel was, subsequently, early as well. While they were gracious in welcoming us, our rooms were unavailable until much later in the day. Because it was a holiday weekend, this didn't surprise me. They stored our luggage in a secure lobby facility while we played tourist. We are returning to the del Senato this next May. I'd be interested in your success in checking in early at this hotel - let us know. I, personally, would appreciate an opportunity to "settle in" and unpack before hitting the streets. Happy travels...