Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Now that I have Confirmed Reservations for the Major Aspects of our Trip to Italy.Would Someone Give me a Rundown of What To Expect....

Now that I have Confirmed Reservations for the Major Aspects of our Trip to Italy.Would Someone Give me a Rundown of What To Expect....

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as arrival at the airport in Rome for starters.

My parents and I will be traveling on two seperate flights into Rome. My flight is on Continental and will arrive at 7:45 AM. My parents will be arriving in Rome on Alitalia at 9:35 AM.

My mother has bad experiences trying to meet up with people in airports and suggested we all meet at the hotel (Albergo Cesari.)

The hotel check-in does not start until 11:00 AM. Since I arrive first at airport and actually don't mind waiting around airports shouldn't I just wait and make my way to the gate or arrival area they will be getting into?

This way we would have the expense of only one transport to hotel. What would be the best way to get from Rome airport to Albergo Cesari? Train, taxi, limo? (We arrive in Rome on a Monday.)

When we arrive at hotel what should we expect the check-in proceedure to be like?

Then, when we are ready to leave Rome, on a Thursday, what will the check-out be like? Best way to settle bill? I made reservation on Amex, but I assume we can tender some other form of payment if we want too?

Check-out is 10:00 AM. We need to catch the Eurostar to go to Venice. We want to leave earlier than 10:00 AM. I was thinking to take the 8:30 is train to Venice. What is best way to get to train station in Rome to catch the train?

Assuming we have purchaed? Reserved? tickets for train what is proceedure once we get to station?

When we arrive Venice, what will it be like in regards to making our way to Ca'Bernardi?

Is there some sort of 1 1/2 day or 2 day vaperetto pass? What is most economical way to get around besides walking which we my mother and I will be doing plenty of?

When we are ready to leave the B&B we have a rental car reserved for the drive to Cortona.

What should we expect in regards to picking up our Avis rental? The reservation was made for 9:00 AM. Is that a reasonable time? How do we get there? I reserved through AutoEurope a pre paid all inclusive package. I just thought of something yesterday. What about my parents driving? AutoEurope did not ask about that. Will there be extra charges for my folks driving the car? AutoEurope said they were not aware of an age restriction. Should I check with Avis direct?

What is the best way towards Cortona? Dad ABSOLUTELY wants to stop in Bologna. What time should we leave Venice to make the stop in Bologna and still get to Cortona in the light? This will be on the 9th which is a Saturday.

We can not check-in until after 3:00 PM. There will be someone to meet us and give us keys to the villa. We are supposed to give the person a refundable security deposit of 500 euros to get back on departure. Below are two passages from email between owner and myself. How should we handle deposit?

"Usually I send all the instructions for reaching the property some week before the arrival. However, the exact address is:
San Pietro a Cegliolo 93 c.s. - Mezzavia di Cortona ? 52044 Cortona (Italy). On my site web you have a sketch to reach the ville.
g ? as to your arrival, as soon as you will have your flight, we will arrange everything. Usually, the guest arriving in Italy call Erica by phone. Erica will be waiting for you any time you arrive at Villa. However, I suppose you will rent a car at airport of arrival; and it is much better that you don?t drive in the night on Italian highways.
h ? You will receive Erica phone number. Erica will be your reference during your stay."

"For the damage bond, final cleaning fee, & linen fee, you have two choice: first, you give all the money cash to Erica and she will get you the damage bond money when you leave. Second, you wire me these sums together with the balance ten days before your arrival and I will send you back the damage bond money when you leave by PayPal . All bank costs are at your charge."

We will be departing on a Saturday by car to meander our way back to Rome for Sunday departure from Rome airport. The car reservation is for drop off of the car at Rome airport by Noon. I will have to change this I think because the earliest of the flights leaves at 1:20PM. What time should we get to the airport to drop off car? What should we expect in this regard?

Well, that is all for the moment, I'm sure I will think of more questions, like getting into some of the sites, trips between Cortona and Florence, etc. But I'll come bact to that.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:07 AM

PLMN - I have read a bunch of your other threads, and please don't take this the wrong way, but...PLEASE take a breath and RELAX! If you have to know every detail like this, you are going to have a VERY stressful vacation.

Checking into and out of hotels in Italy is pretty much the same as everywhere else. If you arrive before check-in and the room is not ready, they will hold onto your luggage for you if you want to walk around.

I am with you as far as meeting your parents in the Rome airport. Because you are getting there earlier and assuming they are checking luggage, it would be pretty easy to either meet them at their gate, or just meet them at the baggage carousel where their luggage is arriving.

By meeting them, you can then also go through customs together, so if your parents are worriers, they'll have you to help them.

The "best" way to get into Rome really depends. A car service is easiest - they'll be waiting for you, etc, which is nice. But that would obviously be more expensive than using public transportation. It really depends on how much luggage you are bringing and how much you want to spend vs. the comfort of private transportation.

Re: the car. Expect the same things that happen when you rent a car anywhere else. Yes, rental car companies charge for extra drivers. Check the Avis website for age restrictions. Sometimes it is 70 or 75, but it varies by company and also by country sometimes.

I know this isn't detailed and you may not think it's very helpful, but I hope it is a little. I know how hard you have been working on this trip for your parents, and I am seriously worried that you are not going to have any fun because you are getting way too concerned about normal travel stuff. This is not meant as a criticism, it is just a suggestion to step back, relax, and don't worry so much. You are going to Italy, not Mars.

Karen
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Dear Karen and others.

(Thank you very much Karen for the reply. It was helpful.)

Since ya'll don't really know me as most of us don't really know one another, it is understandable that many of you think I won't enjoy the trip.

My personality is the type that "attempts" to be organized to some degree. Deep down I really enjoy doing the investigation for trips. It gives me something to do. I prepared for a WHOLE year for my 20th wedding anniversary cruise. I had a blast. When things went wrong I did not have a cow, I made do and felt comfortable knowing that the particular screw up was no big deal and could be handled in a particular way.

I prepare in a similar fashion for almost all my vacations. If I have most of the info before hand I can make more informed choices. I never plan a trip down to EVERY detail. That would definetely take the fun out of it.

To get an idea of my personality: If I am given an instruction by a boss or teacher I usually like to look behind or under the instruction to find the why and therefore.

My parents like to tell the story of how when I was little they used to have to give me TWO duplicate toys if they were mechanical. One I would take apart and try to put back together and the other I just played with.

So everyone, don't worry that I am stressing (it always seems like I am to others I suppose,)and in some ways I may be, but for me it is good stress.

Look forward to hearing any info and I do appreciate the worry from ya'll.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:28 AM

I too am flying into Rome, then taking the train to Venice and fly out of there.

I am using www.limoservicerome.com for the car service from Rome airport to the hotel. 43.00euros. Your hotel should offer a car service for about the same money.

I too love to plan, as my wife will attest, so I understand your situation. I have the same details all worked out on paper at home, you just chose to post them for all the world to see!

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dw. My hotel does have a service. I will compare. I was wondering if anyone knows about how much time from arrival to getting into Rome there might be. My mother said something about just meeting up at the hotel rather than meeting at the airport. So I was trying to figure out how many hours before the allowed hotel check in time there was.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:46 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Kaudrey's well-meant advice; you're wearing yourself to a frazzle about things that will mostly fall into place when you are there.

Given your description of your parents, I would suggest a limo service (pre-booked) to the hotel. There are lots of threads here about the ones that are highly recommended. You can find them by typing <limo, Rome> into the search box.

Customs at Fiumicino is a breeze. There are two lanes, one with a green sign above it and one with a red sign. Since I hardly think you or your parents will have anything to declare, you simply take the green lane that leads you out to the only international arrivals area. The arrivals area is not very prepossessing, but it's still better, I think, than hanging around at the arrival gates and the baggage carrousels. If you think your parents may need help with their luggage, then, of course, it's a different story.

As Kaudrey has said, check-in and check-out in Italy are no different than in the U.S.

If you want to catch an 8:30 train, I would suggest that you ask the hotel to call the night before and prearrange a cab for you.

When you arrive at Roma Termini (if you already have your ticket and your reserved seat on a Eurostar), you just go to the track posted on "Partenze" for your train (which will have a number). Sometimes tracks are changed, but very rarely for Eurostars. Still, it's worth making sure before you board that it's still your train that is posted on the track. You do not have to stamp Eurostar tickets in the yellow machines at the head of each track.

On arrival in Venice, you can either take a vaporetto (the cheapest) or a water taxi to the San Silvestro stop for your hotel. There are one-day (i.e., exactly 24 hours) and three-day (72 hours) vaporetto passes. Again, for your parents' convenience, you might want to take a water taxi (about 50 or 60 Euros) to your hotel. You can then buy your one-day passes a few hours later, so that you get more use out of it.

8:30 is rush hour in Venice as it is anywhere else. I would suggest another water taxi to wherever you pick up your rental car at 9:00.

One way or another, you will need a map to figure out how to get from Venice to Bologna and from Bologna to Cortona. I don't drive, but there's a thread about <map, Tuscany>. For your day trips around Cortona, the Touring Club Italiano map of Tuscany has been suggested on that thread.

The rule for driving on small Italian highways is "straight ahead". If you come to a crossroad and there are signs for a lot of other towns but not for your destination, then the Italians simply assume that you will realize that the only way to go is "sempre diritto" or "straight ahead".

You should check in for your return flight at least two hours in advance.

And please, please try to stop preplanning every instant. Things do and will fall into place. There will be the odd time when they don't, but nobody ever said life was perfect, not even in Italy. Go with the flow; you'll probably discover a better alternative to whatever you had planned.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:51 AM

I was composing my previous message when you posted yours saying that you do not find stressful what a lot of us here have thought WAS stressful. I was delighted to read it, and please don't take all the "good advice" about going with the flow personally.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Luv ya Eloise. GREAT information.

Darn I have to go to work now and can't wait to get home tonight to read all rest of the info.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Just noticed something misleading in my long message. Arrival in Venice should read: You can either take a vaporetto to the San Silvestro stop for your hotel or a water taxi that will take you as close as he can to the hotel.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Relax and keep thinking positive - your trip will turn out just fine.

Listing so many questions and concerns in one huge post might not be the best way to get specific answers. Another approach would be to group common subject areas together into a series of individual posts so you can better attract the attention of the "experts" and also keep track of the various responses.

Focus first on the FEW "show stoppers" and get to the MANY "nice to know" ones if time and energy permits.

Plan well, but don't let the process sap your energy and joy prior to departure. We all worry a bit too much about possible "foul ups" that never happen.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:18 AM
rex

<<Since I arrive first at airport and actually don't mind waiting around airports shouldn't I just wait and make my way to the gate or arrival area they will be getting into?>>

I agree that you should wait at the airport. But someone said "you can go through customs together". I think that is wrong. I have never seen a "waiting area" BEFORE customs. The typical meet-up area is right AFTER you come out of customs and passport control.

<<This way we would have the expense of only one transport to hotel. What would be the best way to get from Rome airport to Albergo Cesari? Train, taxi, limo? (We arrive in Rome on a Monday.)>>

I agree with hired driver. Of course, you should schedule the driver to meetup with the arrival time of yopur parents' (later) flight

<<Then, when we are ready to leave Rome, on a Thursday, what will the check-out be like? Best way to settle bill? I made reservation on Amex, but I assume we can tender some other form of payment if we want too?>>

Sure, buy why? If you are not in AMEX "Membership Miles", then you should be.

<<Check-out is 10:00 AM. We need to catch the Eurostar to go to Venice. We want to leave earlier than 10:00 AM. I was thinking to take the 8:30 is train to Venice. What is best way to get to train station in Rome to catch the train?>>

Taxi. Have Cesari arrange it to have it come at 7:45.

<<Assuming we have purchaed? Reserved? tickets for train what is proceedure once we get to station?>>

Good idea to buy them the day before, perhaps. While you are there (luggage free), you can familiarize yourself with the station. It's as simple as go to the train, get on. You DO have to validate some tickets (little yellow boxes that stamp the tickets), but maybe with mandatory reservation ES tickets, you don't have to.

<<Is there some sort of 1 1/2 day or 2 day vaperetto pass? What is most economical way to get around besides walking which we my mother and I will be doing plenty of?>>

No. 1 day, or 3 day. Quite honestly, I think that this pricing is what leads some people to cheat and travel on the vaporettos with no valid ticket after they have gotten used to them. I will not comment on the ethics of that.

<<What should we expect in regards to picking up our Avis rental? The reservation was made for 9:00 AM. Is that a reasonable time?>>

Seems at least one hour too early to me. It means that you have to get the car back by 9:59 am, or be charged for an extra day. Just go at 10.

<<How do we get there? I reserved through AutoEurope a pre paid all inclusive package. I just thought of something yesterday. What about my parents driving? AutoEurope did not ask about that. Will there be extra charges for my folks driving the car? AutoEurope said they were not aware of an age restriction. Should I check with Avis direct?>>

There could be an age restriction, and there could be an extra driver fee. AutoEurope ought to answer all these questions for you. It is toll-free to call them, you realize.

<<What is the best way towards Cortona? Dad ABSOLUTELY wants to stop in Bologna. What time should we leave Venice to make the stop in Bologna and still get to Cortona in the light? This will be on the 9th which is a Saturday.>>

See www.viamichelin.com

Leave Venice right at 10, once you have the car. There will be no reason to hang around Venice once you have it.

<<We can not check-in until after 3:00 PM. There will be someone to meet us and give us keys to the villa. We are supposed to give the person a refundable security deposit of 500 euros to get back on departure. Below are two passages from email between owner and myself. How should we handle deposit?>>

Cash.

<<We will be departing on a Saturday by car to meander our way back to Rome for Sunday departure from Rome airport. The car reservation is for drop off of the car at Rome airport by Noon. I will have to change this I think because the earliest of the flights leaves at 1:20PM. What time should we get to the airport to drop off car? What should we expect in this regard?>>

10:45 am

=======================

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Hi PLMN. I second a lot of what the previous posters have said in terms of relaxing. I haven't read all your threads. Is this your first time in Europe?

On the issue of the initial arrival in Rome, I really can't help because I've never come in to that airport and don't know how big or complicated it is or how far the 2 airlines are from each other. In your shoes though, I would search the web for a map/layout of the airport and see if you can figure it out. Don't stress your Mother though. While it may be more economical to wait, in the end, maybe meeting at the hotel might be best to avoid foul ups.

Keep in mind these hotel check in and check out times are really for the convenience of the hotel. Just because they say 11 am is check in time, doesn't mean the room will absolutely be ready then or conversely that it might not be ready before then. You could certainly email ahead and request an early check-in. Maybe they'll say yes. \/ Also, don't flip out if the room isn't ready just at 11.

For check in procedure, they usually ask for your credit card to "swipe" and may also ask for your passport. They'll also ask you to fill out a form with address etc. For check out, if you're leaving early in the morning, you may want to remind them the night before you're leaving and ask them to have the bill ready. You can charge everything to the credit card you gave them on check in or pay some other way. FYI, I've never done it but I've noticed posts from others saying they got discounts for paying cash. If you want to investigate that, you might ask in an email or on check in whether there's a cash discount if you think you can get sufficient cash from an ATM.

About Venice...on the website of your hotel they should have some info on how to get there. The simplest way, if they are on a canal and have a dock, is to take a water taxi from the train station. It will be expensive-maybe 50-60euros but may be well worth it since you will have luggage and won't know the way or how many bridges there might be between the vaporetto stop and the hotel. Once you arrive, you can get your bearings and figure out how to get there by vaparetto. OR, if it's very near the vaparetto stop and you really want to save money, ask the hotel for a very detailed explanation of the route.

http://actv.it/
is the website for the vaparetto service in Venice. There is info there on the various passes under "fares". Don't make yourself crazy on which ticket to get. There's a one day, three day or just roundtrip tickets. Most people wind up doing more walking than they expect vs. riding.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM

mclaurie wrote: <<For check in procedure, they usually ask for your credit card to "swipe" and may also ask for your passport.>>

This is the aspect of check-in that seems to most surpirse first-time travelers I know. As a visitor to Italy, you are required to register with the local police. To simplify this ordeal, your hotel will ask for your passport and complete the forms for you. This usually means that they keep your passport for a little while.

It may concern you to hand over your passport and not get it back immediately, but it is a standard occurence. Take your bags to your room and settle in. By the time you pass the front desk again you can retrieve your passports.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:43 AM
ira

Hi PLMN,

It is highly likely that you will all be arriving in Terminal C. You can check with the airlines. If that is true, you can meet your folks at their baggage carousel.

Getting your luggage is when you are most likely to face a long delay.

>...best way to get from Rome airport to Albergo Cesari? <

Limo service is most convenient and about the same price as buying 3 tickets for the train into Rome (9.5E each) and a cab to the hotel.

For the 8:30 train to Venice, I sugget that you get to Rome TE about 8:00. It will give you a chance to get oriented, find your track number and (if you are lucky) find the board that shows where the cars will be.

If you have tickets on the ES*, just get on the train. ES* tickets do not have to be stamped as they are good for only the one ride.

>I was thinking to take the 8:30 is train to Venice.<

What 8:30 train to Venice?

>When we arrive Venice, what will it be like in regards to making our way to Ca'Bernardi?<

As you exit the station, you will be on a large promenade. Stop and enjoy the view.

The ticket booths and the landing stage for Line 1 will be to your right.

There will be huge mobs of people. The staff will do there best to drive the herd to the correct buses.

Do not get excited. There is a vaporetto every 10 min. It's about 17 min to S. Silvestro.

>Is there some sort of 1 1/2 day or 2 day vaperetto pass?<

A one-way ticket is 3.5E. A round-trip ticket is 6E. A one-day pass is 10.5E. A 3-day pass is 22E.

We usually walk one way and take the bus back for 3.5E/trip.

>What should we expect in regards to picking up our Avis rental?

It will take longer than you think.

>How do we get there?

Where is the office located? Is it at Pzza Roma?

Will you have to go to the airport?
If so, it might be better for you to drive from Rome to Mestre, leave the car at the train station. Take the train to Venice SL and pick the car up up on the way to Cortona.

>What about my parents driving?

You will have to call AutoEurope.

www.viamichelin.com says that it will take about 1 1/2 hr to drive from Venice to Bologna and about 2 hr to drive from there to Cortona.

>How should we handle deposit?

The simplest way is to have 500E cash when you get there.

You might ask the owner if she will accept a check for $650. This will cover the 500E and bank fees should she actually have to cash it. If you don't steal the towels, she can give you back your check.

>the flights leaves at 1:20PM. What time should we get to the airport to drop off car?

You should be online for check in about 11:30. I suggest that you leave an hour to drop off car.

Remember that the gas tank has to be full when you deliver the car.

Do you have a hotel for Saturday night in Rome? We stayed at the Holiday Inn EUR Parc Medici. It's abut 15 min by car from the airport.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:51 AM

I'll only work on your first question. Absolutely, from what you describe, you should wait at the airport and meet them. Have a car service to take the four of you to your hotel once they arrive. It is worth it, especially comparing the cost to the two couples going separately. It will start your trip out so much more easily. There is only one place for them to come out from customs, so it is impossible to miss them. And there is an information desk right there which will be able to tell you when their plane has landed, etc. even if you can't tell from the screens.

Now about your other questions. . .I agree, you need to relax. "What will the hotel check-in procedure be like?" Like any other place in the world. Don't panic, travel isn't THAT hard.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:57 AM

I'm intrigued by all these answers.

It's a while since I've been through FCO, though my experience is that it's always been at the intense end of Europe's security consciousness.

But I've NEVER encountered any European airport where it's possible to find out which gate an international flight is arriving.

The security industry has some reasons for not wanting arriving passengers to mingle, though at many European airports that can't be altogether stopped. But arrival gates are, in my experience, never publicly disclosed. And, if a passenger can discover the gate, he's liable to attract quite unwanted attention from the heavies if he hangs around outside.

And Italy's security police aren't the jolly tourist-attractors they put on crowd control in central Rome.

Maybe Rome's got sloppier since terrorism has ceased to be such a big thing there. But for my interest, could those respondents saying "meet them at the gate" explain how to do this.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:23 AM

re Venice, I'd go for the 3-day pass unless money is no object (in which case, go for the water taxi by all means). If you get a one-trip ticket you'll have to pay an extra 3.50 euros per person for your luggage. You don't have to pay that with a day or 3-day pass. I love the freedom of being able to take a vaporetto whenever a stop is nearby. It's a pretty good deal, and fun, too.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:01 PM
ira

Hi jen,

In all of my trips to Venice I have never had to pay for my luggage.

Is this something new?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:26 PM

flanneruk, I think you miss the point. No, you don't need to know what gate they're arriving at, but after they arrive, get their luggage, and clear customs ALL passengers come through the same couple sets of doors into one area. That's where all the hired drivers hold up their signs and where anyone looking for an arriving friend stands and spots them.

We arrived in Rome a couple of hours before our friends did and double checked that yes, no matter what flight they were on they'd come through those doors. Our only problem was that hours later after the plane had arrived we still hadn't seen them. We couldn't imagine how we had missed them and both American Airlines and Swiss Air (co-share) refused to tell us anything except that the flight had arrived on time. Much later we found out they were still in Boston as their first segment had been aborted due to a fuel leak, but neither airline would tell us that. In fact they insisted that first flight had arrived in Zurich on time, when in fact it was still sitting in Boston. But that's another story.

So unless the folks somehow missed their flight, I can't imagine any way you'd miss meeting them as they clear through customs.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
PLMN... You really do need to take a deep breath (meant most kindly)! I feel the most important things you can do when you travel have to do with attitude... stay calm, expect good things, and be flexible. Also PACK LIGHT!

I can hopefully help with a few answers and observations...

What to expect when you check into a hotel in Rome? It will be the same as anywhere, except possibly in Italian. Fill out a registration card, pay for your room, get the key, etc. If your room is not ready you could sit in the lobby and wait to meet up with your parents (it will be less stressful than an airport meeting, well worth the price of two taxis fares).

I would assume a taxi called by your hotel front desk is the best way to the train station, but that's just a guess. Ask them when you arrive.

There are several ways to purchase train tickets, I simply buy point-to-point at the rail station before each journey. You can go a few days before if you are worried. Or possible book thru a travel agent in town.

Arriving Venice San Lucia train station you can take a vaporetto if you are not burdened down with too much luggage to carry. I would ask your hotel their recommendation and for directions.

Regarding the rental car, same thing... contact Avis and ask all your questions there.

Fodors posters can share their own experiences and opinions but some questions have concrete answers, so are best asked directly of YOUR hotel, car rental, airline, etc.

I just returned from 10 days in Switzerland myself, so have missed your planning topics. One suggestion for posting would be to break down your thoughts into single questions, more manageable to answer.

Best regards and a safe journey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -