Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best spot to drop off a car rental in Rome?

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice you can give on the most convenient spot to drop off a car rental in Rome where we could obtain easy tranportation to the Colloseum area?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
ira

Hi M,

From your question I deduce that this is your first visit to Rome.

Are you sure that you want to drive into the city?

If you are coming from the North, you could drop your car in Orvieto or Chiusi and take the train into Rome TE.

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

No we are staying in a small village in Tuscany called Murlo.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:06 PM

We dropped our car off near Villa Borghese at an underground garage on Via del Galoppatoio 33. From there, it was a short taxi ride to our hotel near the Pantheon. I don't remember the cost but if wasn't within reason, my husband would have expressed his displeasure. If you should decide this is a good location for you, we came into downtown Rome on A24 to the inner circumferential roadway on a weekday during mid-day. Traffice was no big deal at that time. Even on the city streets, it was still do-able. Once we got to the garage, finding the Hertz office was another matter. Get specific instructions. And make note of opening hours; they vary from office to office.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Jan57

We just returned from Italy a few weeks ago ending our trip in Rome. We dropped our rental car at Hertz at the airport and took a taxi to our hotel near the Campo di Fiori. We were coming from the Amalfi Coast on a Wednesday afternoon and driving to the airport wasn't a problem. We did the exact same thing several years ago but were coming from Tuscany. If you just follow the signs at the airport it isn't difficult.

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

We will be dropping the car off on a Sunday. Some of the smaller drop off points are not open but I believe the Termini is. Is this difficult to get to?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM

I agree with the advice to drop the car off at the airport and either cab or shuttle to your hotel. Your hotel might be able to make shuttle reservations for you - some of them get a discount but arrangements must be made ahead of time. I would never drive a car in Rome - too many scooters, cars and people to watch out for.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Hi Mike,

Totally agree with Ira -- DO NOT drive into Rome! Drop the car off at a train station outside of Rome and train in.

Regards,

Melodie
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM

We have returned a car to the Termini and it was fine. We did have a little trouble finding the right entrance for the rental cars but we just drove around the block a few times until we found the right one. You can then jump on the metro to the colloseum, I think that it is two stops..
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

How hard was it to find the Termini? I think this is our option as we are returning it on a Sunday so the traffic shouldn't be too bad (?)
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM

I rented a car at the underground garage at Villa Borghese when my Mom and I missed the car rental office closing time at Termini (on a Sunday). The Borghese area was so much nicer to deal with than the Termini area and the rental agency we used had an office open 24hrs that day (unusual for a Sunday). The cab drivers were for the most part rude and very determined to rip us off at the Termini Station, so be aware if you take a taxi from there to the Colosseum. Also traffic near the Termini was very heavy and the meter is always ticking. On another day of our trip, we took a taxi from the Villa Borghese to the Colosseum and I recall it was a pretty short ride.

If I could drive out of Rome, around the hilltowns of Tuscany and into Florence, I'm sure that you won't have a problem. But, I found getting out of Rome (even getting lost) was easier than driving into Florence. So I would prefer not to drive into Florence again. I think it's all about your frame of mind and having both good directions and co-pilot for driving into Rome.

However, if you want to arrive relaxed, take the train. It took me a glass or two of vino to unwind but I enjoyed the challenge and would do it again (minus the drive into Florence).
Best of luck to you.
Carol