Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Emily with questions about car rental in Italy

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Debby

Emily we just got back and rented with AutoEurope. We got the car in Florence to drive around Tuscany with the plan of dropping off the car in Orvieto on our way to Rome.
Driving in Italy turned out to be better than we expected. We knew to stay out of the city, but the return in Orvieto is not as convenient since the car return is not by the train station. We opted to drive to the northern part of Rome and returned the car at via tiburtubbi. We then got a cab to our hotel near the Pantheon which cost less tha $30 euros. It turned out to be as cheaper than the train would have been. We would have needed to get a cab inOrvieto to the train station, the train fare, and a cab to our hotel near the Pantheon once in rome. We then did not have to fool with luggage. It turned out to be a smart idea.

Hope this helps.

Dealing with Auto Europe was great because they have no additional drop charges when you change. Avis and Hertz do.

Debby

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Dorothy

Debby, Thats good info to know. We are renting a car from Autoeurope in Oct. Picking up and dropping off at the Rome airport(FCO) but I was thinking of finding a different place to drop. We're
comming from the Amalfi coast and just spending the last night in rome but I really did'nt want to get caught up in the airport traffic just to drop off. So if there are no drop charges I can start looking for a better place to drop the car. Was via tiburtubbi hard to find? Does anyone have another suggestion as to where we could drop the car and take a limo or taxi to our hotel in Rome? Thanks Dorothy

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Ian

Dorothy - we rented from AutoEurope FCO, drove to Amalfi, then up to Todi (Umbria) & then dropped the car at FCO & took the train into Roma. It was a long walk at both ends to/from the train - not too fun with baggage. We took a cab back to FCO when we left. 50 Euros. This was all 2-3 weeks ago. Note: If you do not drive a manual transmission at home, get an automatic. You do not need the extra pressure. Amalfi roads are very twisty & very hilly.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Cindy

We also rented thru AutoEurope-returned from Italy just yesterday. We picked up our car at Termini Station in Rome and were happy to get upgraded from a Nissan Prontera(?) to a Mercedes C180. We had requested an automatic. Driving out of Rome was tricky, but not impossible. The car was great.

One caveat: We had a tire blowout on the day we were driving back to Rome from our villa rental near Lucca. The lugnuts for the spare were missing and the lugnuts from the original tire didn't fit. Ended up having to call AutoEurope who had to tow our Mercedes away, while we had to take a taxi to Pisa Airport, wait on line for over an hour, put up with very rude desk clerks, who told us to come back after lunch for our replacement car and refused to refund our $50 taxi fare (after being told on the phone that we would be reimbursed). We then returned to the desk after lunch and told we had to get on line again, waited another hour before we finally got our car. Drove back to Termini in Rome and the office was closed! Had to drive several miles through Rome to find another office to leave the car. A whole wasted day on this fiasco! I plan to file a complaint with AutoEurope about this..

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
emily

Thanks for the helpful info regarding car rentals. I am still in the planning stages, so this is all very helpful info!!