Best Shop in Prague to Buy Garnets?

Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Best Shop in Prague to Buy Garnets?

I have been reading a bout buying Garnets in Prague. AnnMarie was kind enough to give me ideas...any other experiences I should know about? I like antique jewelry? Thanks for the help.
Feb 4th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I was in Prague in Nov and found the best prices were at the Turnov factory-direct store at Dlouha 30 (they also have a store in Cesky Krumlov).

The Turnov store has top-quality garnets set in silver, silverplate, and gold . . . be sure to buy all your items in one store so you can get the VAT refund.

Good luck!
Sandy (in Denton)
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:42 AM

I agree with Sandy, I found that store one of the best. There are many stores with good prices and nice pieces, but that one has a very large selection and you know it is good quality. My other favorite store is Cesky Granat (there are a couple, I think, but the one at 4 Celetna is convenient off Old Town Sq). They have a little more unusual designs sometimes than Granat Turnov, and a little more contemporary.

I don't know about places for antique jewelry.
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandy and Christina for the help. I will look at all the stores mentioned and the ones AnneMarie mentioned.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:02 AM

To Sandy and Christina, other than garnets, what else would you recommend to buy in Prague? Thanks!
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:10 AM

You'll see more crystal than you've ever seen in your life . . . I didn't buy any this time (2nd trip) but I laughed out loud when I went to Tuesday Morning Company and saw the very same items for about 1/4 the prices.

OK, I did buy some crystal but they were just crystal snowflakes to use as Christmas ornaments . . . found those only in one shop, Cashpi Crystal at 19 Celetna (short street that is right off the big, main square) . . . they had 2 kinds, a round one and a pointy one and were about $5.50 each . . . made great little gifts.

My friend bought several sets of the stacking dolls . . . they come in any size, any persona. Just walk around the streets near the big square, you'll see plenty of "things" to buy.

Sandy (in Denton)