Best of Stockholm in 3 Days

Old May 21st, 2015, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of Stockholm in 3 Days

Change in itinerary...now have 3 full days in Stockholm!

First time visitors, love museums, yummy authentic food, beautiful scenery and want to discover things unique to this city. Since we only have such a short visit, would love to hear suggestions on how to maximize our time experiencing the very best of Stockholm. Currently have refundable reservations at the Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel. Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:27 AM

Hi,

The most important thing you can't miss of course Gamla Stan + Nobel Museum. Nobel Museum is a bit small but I love the food at Nobel Bistro and you can't miss the ice cream!
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:16 AM

Assuming you are going in summer:

Gamla Stan (old town)
Royal Palace
Skansen folk park and zoo
Vasa (warship from Sweden's golden aea)
Town Hall (nobel prize events)
The archipelago - Drottingholm Castle by boat

There are several other wonderful museums, depending on how much you can cover in a day.

Food is generally good but expensive. You can try reindeer if you want, we found it tough and not very tasty
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:48 AM

Consider lunch deals and make dinner a simple affair. That gives you much better value for money.

Oddly, because I worked there for a while, I quite like going to Nacka Strand in summer. It's a 15 minute ferry ride from Stockholm center. The area is business like, but they've revived the industrial buildings with lots of daytime eating places. J Hotel is there and J restaurant is right at the waterfront, next to the Marina. Gorgeous views! And that would be my splurge for one dinner at night, and then travel back by boat to Slussen in Stockholm

Other than that, the others already listed plenty, although I'd skip the Nobel Museum, but that's me.

Sødermalm is nice to walk through: hipster vibe, may quirky shops, coffee places, interesting art venues...

And do give yourself a tour of the art installations that are built into a number of metro stations.

It's caused by my trade, but I quite liked the Fotografiske photography gallery and the museum of modern art (you can get there by way of the art school campus, which is a sight to behold) on Skeppsholmen.

Maybe a hotel like the First Reisen on Skeppsbronn would be good? That way, you'd be right on the edge of Gamla Stan with a view of Stockholms Ström. In summer, that means you have long evenings available for a stroll around Gamla Stan when all the tourists are gone. Magical!
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:03 AM

I stayed at First Reisen at the beginning of May. The buffet breakfast (Included) was extensive, pot of hot coffee, very nice. The front desk staff are helpful and friendly. Maid service not so much -- she did not replenish my TP and it was out so I had to swipe it from her cart. The lsat full day there (a sun) she did not get to my room by 3:30 and I wanted to take a nap so put a Do not disturb sign out. So of course room never did get made up - luckily I was still ok with TP and towels.

GREAT location - I could either walk to everything or the ferry to Djurgarden was right down the street.

My favorite wsa the ABBA Museum where I got to sing and dance with 'them' and it got recorded so I can view it online. Lots of fun if you like Abba. I also hit the Vasa Museum, the Danse Museum, and I had the Nobel Ice cream at the Nobel Museum cafe - also a great quiet, dim place for coffee and a sweet and to write in my journal. The tiny cafes on the square were always full inside and it was too cold to sit out although they had blankets.

Shopping on Gamla Stan is mostly souvenir type shops - the main shopping street is on CITY - the Drottingen St (?)

i went to a ballet at the Royal Opera, only paid $28 for a balcony seat.

I'm not a foodie so can't help you there. the Vasa Museum has a nice restaurant and I had a hot lunch there at a reasonable price. Wayne's Coffee on Sodormalm and in City is a nice spot for great sandwiches, coffees and sweets.
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:21 AM

Pontus, in its many incarnations, is always a safe, though upmarket bet:

http://pontusfrithiof.com/

Melanders (in Sødermalm and elsewhere in the city) is good for fish

http://melanders.se/

One thing you shouldn't miss out on is a bit of food shopping and then lunch at the counter at Saluhallen in Östermalm.
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:40 AM

Pelikan for traditional dinner - particularly liked the meatballs, but menu is varied. If you enjoy a vegetarian alternative, Herman's is a buffet with a view.
If you go to Rosendal's garden while on Djurgarden, they have a bakery and cafe in a nice setting for lunch.
Don't miss Ostermalms Saluhall - terrific food market with restaurants. We had a lunch to remember at Lisa Elmqvist.
While walking through Gamla Stan, stop at Sundberg's Konditori for sweets.
We also enjoyed the grounds/museum at Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde (also on Djurgarden). The Stockholm Free Tour was a nice introduction to the city.
Unfortunately, the National Museum is closed for extensive renovations. However, there are some exhibits from the museum at other locations. Go to the museum website for details. We were lucky to catch a Carl Larsson exhibit while we were there.
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Nice!!

You guys are awesome, and very fast with the suggestions! We'll be there in less than a week. Wish we had more time because there's always too many exciting things to see. Thank you!
Old May 21st, 2015, 09:25 PM

@Vicky:
Probably you mean drottninggatan (Queen street), a pedestrian street. Lot of souvenirs you can see there.

@tessietoes:
don't forget if you come from outside EU, ask for tax free note/bill while shopping. Sweden minimum amount if I'm not wrong is 200 SEK. So if you shop more than 200 SEK, you can ask for that.
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:21 AM

We stayed at Kung Carl Hotel in the heart of Stockholm. The location is excellent. We got an excellent price, room was large and comfortable/clean. The breakfast was included and was exceptionally good with lots of choices.
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm staying at the Royal Viking hotel in August - hope you report back!