Best location to stay in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone point out best neighborhoods for London. Also recommend how far out we should purchase theater tickets. Thanks.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Best" neighborhoods for what? Almost any area of central London (basically w/i the circle tube line) will be good for most tourists.

as for theatre - totally depends on the show. For most - just go to the TKTS 1/2 price booth at Leicester Square on the day of performance.

For the few big sell out hits, book as soon as you know your dates.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM

I rather like the Kensington Area for the tree lined streets and quiet laid back atmosphere. It is still a convenient location but has lots of charm.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM

A great walking location is the Travel Inn County Hall or Marriott County Hall. London Eye and Big Ben are right outside your door. Easy walk to Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square. Two tube stations within a few blocks.

Charming - no
Convenient - absolutely
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:55 AM

We really, really liked our area in Mayfair. We stayed at the Holiday Inn-Mayfair and everything we needed was right there when we walked out the door!
When I was in London last year-my sister and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in St James- I have to say I was happier with our Mayfair choice this time- easier with the kids!
V
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Unless you want to take your chances on getting discounted seats at the last minute and aren't as concerned about seating location, etc., then I would advise booking sooner rather than later.

I just called a box office yesterday and got seats for another West End show for September. Availability obviously depends on run length and popularity.

I've found at least one good site for checking out shows, etc., to be www.londontheatre.co.uk but there are others.

I usually stay in Covent Garden and take the Tube most places but I like shows so that's what dictates my hotel location.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>Unless you want to take your chances on getting discounted seats at the last minute and aren't as concerned about seating location, etc., then I would advise booking sooner rather than later.</i>&quot;

Sure, you can book ahead. But for any other than the small handfull of blockbuster hits, it is totally unnecessary. TKTS only offer the best available seats and they are usually either Stalls or Dress Circle (Orchestra or 1st balcony).

For big stars in short runs at the Donmar Warehouse, or for limited runs for vehicles for stars like Maggie Smith or Judi Dench, or for a couple of the popular musicals - book ahead and as far ahead as you can. For anything else - and at any one time that will be 35-40+ other shows, no need to book ahead.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Agree with crazy4travel about Kensington. Copthorne Tara Hotel on Wright's Lane just off Kensington High Street is a very convenient hotel with A/C and is right next to a tube station on the yellow and green lines. We'll stay there again whenever we visit London.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM

You'll find that Mayfair is central to everything, and you can walk to virtually any other central London location from there within an hour (if you are a keen walker), and the transport links are plentiful.

Of course it also houses some of the best shopping, restaurants, and nightlife in the capital.