Reload this Page >

Where to stay in London?

Search

Where to stay in London?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Gail

Where to stay in London?

2 nights in London and would like to know where to stay in order to be in walking distance of Buck Palace,Parliament Houses, the Thames, close enough to Trafalgar Square, and where ever else. Close to nightlife as well. Any suggestions of bars/pubs/restaurants close in same area?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Helpful

Do a search on 'London' and you'll get lots of opinions.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:56 PM
NotAgain

Get a London guidebook which will contain a map of the city. That will give you an idea of the location of places you want to see/visit.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:46 AM
GJ

I'd recommend one of the two hotels at County Hall. We usually stay at the Marriott County Hall (www.marriott.com). It's outstanding but somewhat expensive (I use frequent traveler points for this one). It's right on the Thames and accross Westminster Bridge from Parliament and Big Ben. It's a short walk to Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square and the Westminster tube station. It's not too close to nightlife but that can also be an advantage.<BR><BR>There's also a Travel Inn (www.travelinn.com) in County Hall that has very reasonable rates. I haven't stayed there but it's in a great location.<BR><BR>Good luck with the trip.<BR><BR>GJ

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:52 AM
cash

Gail, Look at LondonTown.com for good rates and info. Hotel Rueben is a location for your list. Do get a good guide book and do some research.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:18 AM
bettyk

Gail, I recently stayed at the Rubens-at-the-Palace Hotel which is right across from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace. It was a fabulous location and a great 4* hotel. We could walk to so many of the attractions (St. James Park, Green Park, Hyde Park, London Eye, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Cabinet War Rooms and, of course, Buckingham Palace), but the hotel is only a couple of blocks from Victoria Station.<BR><BR>Try www.londontown.com and look under "small luxury hotels" to see what kind of rate they have. You can also contact the hotel directly via the parent company website http://www.redcarnationhotels.com/ to see if they have any specials. The rooms aren't huge but are well appointed and the staff is friendly. <BR><BR>We enjoyed a wonderful lunch upstairs at the Red Lion Pub near Parliament. There are a number of good restaurants and pubs near the Rubens. The Bag O' Nails is just across the street and my husband can heartily recommend it!<BR><BR>Also, several pubs were recommended on this board though I have no first hand knowledge of them: <BR><BR>The Nags Head, 53 Kinnerton Street, and the Wilton Arms, 71 Kinnerton Street. Both of these Belgravia pubs have evening meals. Knightsbridge tube station. <BR><BR>The Two Chairmen. Corner of Queen Anne's Gate and Dartmouth Street, 100 yards from St James' Park tube station. Useful for visits to Parliament, Westminster, the Cabinet War Rooms, and St James' Park. Some Members of Parliament use it. <BR><BR>The Albert. Corner of Buckingham Gate and Victoria Street. Tube St James Park. Downstairs good hot food, with spices well used, served also in the evening. Upstairs for lunches only a carvery, three courses at 15 pounds. <BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Mike

I have to agree with Cash's suggestion of the Hotel Rueben. We stayed there and loved it.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:56 AM
bettyk

Mike and Cash, it is the RUBENS-AT-THE-PALACE HOTEL not Hotel Rueben.