best indian restaurant

Old May 30th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best indian restaurant

I am heading to London and am wondering which is considered the best Indian restaurant in London. Appreciate any recommendations.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:38 AM

Give an area you will be in and a price range and people should be able to help you. There are hundreds of Indian Restaurants in London and vary in Prices and locations.

Good eating!
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:42 AM

Three of my favorites, heading from the most upscale to the most downscale, in atmosphere and price:

Try Zaika for michelin starred Indian food... the sample menu with sample glasses of wine is fab and gives you a good taster selection of cutting edge Indian food. On Kensington High street

My other favorite for really good curries is called the Standard, try the Chicken Jaipuri and the Mutton Dhansak and the Sag Paneer. yummy! On Westbourne Grove.

My last recommendation is for a hole-in-the-wall Indian - Diwana - It is a south Indian veg restaurant where you can get fantastic thalis and dosas for less than a tenner. Mmmmm and try the bhel poori....mmmm I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Bring your own beer and have a feast. On Drummond Street near Euston Station.

Enjoy!
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:00 AM

If your question is meant literally, the answer is "nowhere". London is too big, complex and dynamic for anywhere to be considered best anything by more than one or two people.

Anyway, what would "best" mean? Best Keralan? Best South Indian vegetarian? Best Punjabi? Looking for the "best" Indian is as meaningless as looking for the best European restaurant in America

Madhu's in Southall won a "best curry restaurant in Britain" award last week (most 'Indian' restaurants are actually Bangladeshi, and this one, like its stunning local competitor, the Brilliant, is actually Kenyan-Asian).

You'll get lots of good recommendations for restaurants from South Asia.Try several (it is, after all, one of the two cuisine families we do well). But looking for the best is the enemy of looking for good meals
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:47 AM

Our all-time favorite is the Standard Indian Restaurant, on Westbourne Grove. Don't miss the chicken and lamb tikka! The food is great and the prices are moderate to low. The neighborhood is interesting--many ethnic shops--and it's a good place to go on a Sunday.
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:08 AM

I recommend that you search chowhounds.com and click to their international board. There are many references to Indian food by two Londoners of Indian heritage. Two current recs are Mela (West End) and Bombay Brasserie - Gloucester Tube - (lunch only).

We ate at both and liked Mela so much(especially their pre-theatre special 10.95 pounds) that we ate there twice.

As a side, the London chowhounds are especially enamored with Lebanese restaurants i.e. Ishbyla on Williams St. We never were able to get there - too bad - as it came highly recommended.

Bon Appetite!

Old May 31st, 2004, 09:08 AM

Ditto, Diwana on Drumond street. Break up your day at the British Museum with the buffet lunch at Diwana. It is the best deal in all of the UK.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:06 PM

I really like Noor Jahan in South Kensington. I have only eaten in a couple Indian restaurants in London, but that was the best. It's on Bina Gardens and is well-known. It's cheap.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:39 PM
Airlawgirl

Well our British posters are certainly correct about that-Hungry, there's only about two zillion Indian restaurants of whatever particular region of Indian cuisine you want in London. Just do yourself a favor and don't order up a vindaloo curry or you'll be sorry! (smile) I've heard of a new Indian restaurant over by the Tower of London that's gotten good reviews and I plan to try next month, as I'll be in that area. "Red Rose" -not too expensive either-about 30 quid a person. It is a sort of upscale suit and tie type of restaurant. The tube is Tower Hill.