Best Hotel Location in Prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, please let us know of the best location to stay while in Prague. We are going in Nov. how should we dress? Is it cold, does it snow? Any help we would love.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Hi
I'm compiling a Prague file for my own trip, if you'd like to see it, email me at [email protected]
Most popular areas to stay in seem to be Charles Bridge, Old Town, and Lesser Town. A map will help you plot it out.

There's good general info on Prague elsewhere here at fodors.com, just click on Destinations
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Hi!

We stayed in Mala Strana back in Oct 2001. Very convenient to Charles Bridge and Old Town.

If you want our trip report, email me:
[email protected]

Have fun planning.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:17 PM

I prefer to be within walking distance of the Old Town square myself -- I like the Josefov area because you can walk to that square, it is close to tram and metro connections and a major dept. store, but is removed enough from the hubbub around Charles Bridge that it is quieter and more of a regular Prague residential area. Of course tourists stay there because there are several hotels, but the streets aren't teeming with tourists, vendors, etc. When I eat in neighborhood restaurants around there, there are lots of regular Prague residents, families, etc., and I think it makes for more of a laid-back experience and the people in the restaurants and cafes are very nice and friendly. I also find the area between there and Namesti Republicky a pleasant and convenient area (where the Hotel Pariz and Grand Hotel Bohemia are). Lots of folks seem to like the Mala Strana area, also, as Elaine says.

Yes, it gets cold in Prague and can snow in the winter, although I don't think the odds of it snowing in Nov are high. It's in the northern part of europe, between Austria and Poland. The avg. high in Nov. is about 40 and the low 32.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 07:57 PM

We stayed at the U Krale Karla and it was great!! Good location, great service (everyone spoke english), beautiful rooms, great views, and reasonable price. Check them out on the web. I think their site is www.romantichotels.cz
Good luck and have a great time.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 03:19 AM
ira

Hi

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Pensione Dientzenhofer.

http://www.dientzenhofer.cz/
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 05:10 AM
rex

I wouldn't be surprised if Elain has put this into the file she is compilin - - we quite enjoyed having an apartment instead of a hotel. Booked through www.athos.cz (they also represent hotels) - - a very class act, with on-line real-time access to their staff members via ICQ.

See also the website www.jasoncholt.com for a broad spectrum of useful info.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 10:38 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Meteor, right outside of the Old Town.. it was OK, Best Western.. plan on early breakfast - they run out of food!!
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 11:33 AM

I was there over Thanksgiving last year, and it was COLD. No snow, but cold and sometimes windy. Boots
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 11:51 AM

We have just returned from Prague about a month ago. We stayed at the Intercontinental. The outside has no character but the rooms were very nice and the food was good and the location was great. A short walk to the Old Town Square and right in the Jewish Quarter. It is located on the river and there are tram stops just across the street which makes getting from place to place easy. Also a metro stop is near by. Prague was great. Hope you have as good of a time as we did.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 12:02 PM

We were in Prague during the last week of November a few years ago. The weather was quite similar to ours in Pennsylvania. Chilly, but not terribly cold. Temperatures in the 40s during the day. No snow while we were there.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:14 PM

Been there in Nov. Not too cold. Was wishing it would snow, but it didn't. Mala Strana at that time of year is super romantic. Very beautiful, mysterious looking streets. Won't be loaded with tourists. Great Prague vibes! Look on some websites for pictures: travel.cz , marys.cz , athos.cz - all are good.
Have a great time!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:13 AM

We stayed at the Residence Retezova, which is an apartment-style hotel. They have great pictures on their website of each room, and have periodic rate specials. The location was great: on a quiet street, near plenty of restaurants, shopping and cafes, 5-minute walk to Old Town and a 15-minute stroll to the Charles Bridge. We walked everywhere from our hotel, including the Castle and Wenceslas Square. Each morning you are given a good, although basic breakfast next door at the charming Cafe Ebel. I would recommend staying there.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel U Krale Karla?? I'm looking for someone's view on this hotel. thanks