Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best hotel in Venice for Husband's 40th!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a romantic hotel in Venice with good location, and a suggestion for restaurant to celebrate husband's 40th birthday in style.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:08 PM
ira

Hi<BR> Try www.venere.com and look for the 5 star hotels. They are all good.<BR> You are talking big bucks, however.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I guess the term &quot; in style&quot; is open for subjectivity. I did not understand that you meant 5 star ambiance--at $600 per nite. Perhaps you should clarify.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:21 PM

You don't have to have a 5 star hotel, there are plenty of romantic and well located 2 oand 3 star places in Venice. Remember that stars say nothing about ambiance, cleanliness, or location of a hotel--only about the amenities (elevator, restaurants, etc.) and services (concierge, etc.) the hotel has.<BR><BR>I won't recommend a particular one since it has now been 5 years since we were in Venice--but try a search to see if someone has raved about a nice 2 or 3 star place on a secluded canal somewhere.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Check out the thread titled:<BR><BR>Small, cozy Venice hotel/inn?<BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the advice, I have checked out the other message but unable to locate 'Maravege' as recommended, (the web site address was not recognised.) We will only be in Venice for one night &amp; day. Cozy sounds good to me, not the 5 star as perhaps you suggested.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:53 PM

www.pensioneaccademia.it <BR><BR>I just tried it, and it works fine for me. Their other hotels (with links at the bottom of the page) are also well-liked - the Ala and Do Pozzi. Check Rants &amp; Raves as well.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

thank you, I'll give it another go, I was missing the 'it' in the address!!!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM

The Maravege is actually www.Pensione Accademia.it La Calcina is also well liked here. As for a restaurant, you don't indicate what sort or season or price. Osteria da Fiore is considered by many to be the best food in Venice. I spent New year's Eve at Antico Martini &amp; it was excellent &amp; a good celebration spot (expensive) but no view &amp; not on the water.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for all you're wonderful replies. The flight times were not working in our favour for Venice as we live 'up north' so have mangaged to get a flight to paris to include an overnight stay, so need suggestions for accomodation in a 4-5 star hotel post Easter.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:12 AM

A text search here for &quot;paris and romantic&quot; and/or &quot;paris and luxury&quot; might be a good place to start. As with Venice, many of the favorites here are smaller hotels with charm in the 3-4 star category, rather than the truly grand places, though it's all here. Again, Rants &amp; Raves is worth a look to narrow things down. <BR><BR>If you have a price range in mind, letting us know what it is and what ammenities you seek will help you get the most helpful advice.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 01:58 PM

I agree with Accademia Villa Margarve - we stayed there lat year for my husbands 50th. I'd suggest Da Fiore for a celebratory dinner. Sensational! You can book via the internet at www.dafiore.com. I would advise ringing to confirm and explaining that it's a special dinner. If you're going to be the one paying - tell them that too. I didn't and even though it was booked in my name they couldn't quite grasp that I was paying and insisted on giving my husband the bill, then the credit card slip to sign - even though it was mine etc. Apart from that it was a sensational night and one that neither of us will forget.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:50 PM

~<BR>Learned about this website from another forum and it's got an extensive list of hotels in Italy. It's in Italian, and so here's your basic primer to find an &quot;Albergo&quot; (hotel). <BR><BR>Search under http://turismo.regione.veneto.it and remain on the Italian page (the English page will bring you back to the Italian again). Under &quot;cerca un albergo nel commune di&quot; (= searching for a hotel in the city of) put in &quot;Venezia&quot; or whatever city you're seeking; under &quot;scegli categoria&quot; (select the category) the number of stars your hotel should have (in your case three, four or five), then hit &quot;cerca&quot; (=search). You'll find a list of hotels in alphabetical order - it's important to know that all those with &quot;Mestre&quot; as part of the address are situated on the mainland and not on the island of Venice. <BR><BR>After you have selected a hotel, you'll find the address in the upper and the rate in the lower part (the rest is not really important, you are just informed how many rooms the particular hotel has, what languages are spoken, etc.).<BR>&quot;Singole&quot; means single &quot;doppie&quot; means double-room, &quot;senza bagno&quot; without bathroom, &quot;con bagno&quot; with bathroom. The rates given are minimum-maximum, depending on the season and the location and size of the room. <BR>