Question about Hotel Loucas and luggage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!<BR><BR>I'm going to be staying at Hotel Loucas in Santorini this August. I have a question for anyone who's stayed there and who has paid the hotel for a transfer from the dock. Can you tell me the cost? Is it worth it? If I'll just have one 27 inch suitcase (on wheels), would you recommend I pay for the transfer, or is it do-able to bring the luggage to the hotel on my own? (I've never been to Santorini, so I'm oblivious as to the steepness of the layout of the land....)<BR><BR>tania
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 12:28 AM

Hello Tania<BR><BR>I have not stayed at the Hotel Loucas on Santorini, but from what I have read on the travel boards for the past 5-6 months, it sounds like it is worth it to pay the hotels &quot;high price&quot; for transport from boat/airline right to your room. From what I have read, it seems transport is difficult, other than bus, but, then, it may not stop close to your hotel &amp; then I've read that most hotels on the caldera have many, many steps. <BR><BR>I will be interested in others first hand experience with this issue.<BR><BR>Sandy In Oregon
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 04:12 AM

I have stayed there, arriving by hydrofoil from Crete and I did use their transfer service. I can't remember what it cost, but I think it was about $20 US for the two of us? I know that I booked the hotel directly with them, and I was confused by their per day price with and without transfer service and found out from them, that yes, they only charge the higher per day fee for the arrival and departure day. It was definitely worth it. Someone met us at the docks, helped us with the luggage and drove us to a restaurant above and near the Loucas. He actually took our luggage for us, and led us right through the restaurant then down the stairs into the Loucas -- where they transferred the luggage to our room, down some more steps. By taxi on our own, we would have been let out way up in the main square and would have had a long distance to go on our own with the luggage, and probably would have had great trouble finding the place as well.<BR><BR>And frankly this is one place where those wheels on the luggage won't mean a thing. They won't help you on the stairs up and down to the rooms and even through parts of the village.<BR><BR>Take their transfer service!!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,<BR>Thank you SO much for the thorough answer. You've been EXTREMELY helpful! <BR><BR>My travel agent had booked my Loucas stay for me, so I'm going to see him this weekend to have him phone the hotel to secure their transfer service.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>tania
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 04:00 PM

While we are on the topic of Hotel Loucas, I am thinking about staying there in September...I can't find a website to email the hotel directly, but I am wondering if anyone has stayed there and what you thought of it..Thanks alot!!
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Tracy,<BR>Here's their website:<BR><BR>http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/santorin/fira/lucas/home.htm<BR><BR>There's an email address listed as well as their phone number.<BR><BR>I obviously haven't been there yet, but I can tell you that after copious research, the Loucas kept coming up as the best within its price range. I haven't read a single negative report about it from the fodorites (or at any other site). Everyone seems to really love it. That's good enough for me to go on!<BR><BR>tania
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Well, I've indicated here before as have other posters how wonderful the place is. They were adding a small pool while we were there in 2000 so that should be a nice addition. The rooms are not luxurious, but the whole ambiance of the place is simply remarkable. And the views from the terraces even for the sunset, showed up Oia as far as I was concerned. Plus I loved being only a block away from all the action of Fira, yet totally removed from the sounds and hectic quality of it, by the fact that the Loucas cascades down the cliffs with its back to the downtown. You'd never know you were so close to the action.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:36 PM

Thanks for that info...Sounds like a great place to stay...
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:39 PM

I stayed at the Loucas Hotel 2 years ago in May/June. It is a nice place but the steps are a killer. The electricity went out in the early morning and we didn't have hot water for several hours and the price included breakfast was cold. <BR>Apparently, so we were told by locals, that this is quite common on the cliff side. Since we were moving from another hotel in Thira we asked about getting help to move our bags. They sent a guy over with us on foot to our hotel and he carried the bags back for a very reasonable $ amount. The hotel said it was between him and us what we paid him.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 01:45 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Loucas in 2000 and can recommend it highly, and yes, pay for the transfer.. though realize you will most likely end up carrying your bags up and down stairs.. (the hotels layout is multi level no the type of thing you could have elevators for) <BR>We really enjoyed our stay at the Loucas, had no power problems and b-fest sitting outside looking at the view was defiantly the highlight of our Greek trip... I remember b-fest being really good.. one of the few meals we could eat in Greece before the stomach flu struck.