Best filling for crepes... in need of recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly travel related, but so many of you have no doubt tasted some amazing crepes in your travels and I'd be so appreciative if you'd share.

I'm hosting a bridal brunch for a wedding I am in tomorrow morning and am in desperate need of your best recs on the most delicious fillings. There will be 10 guests and it is a rather casual affair so I've narrowed the menu to:

Frittata - Fresh Fig and Asiago Cheese Frittata with Prosciutto (much easier to make than it sounds)

Fresh fruit salad

Scones and special breads from fabulous bakery nearby

Crepes - ???? ideas for fillings?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:09 PM

Well, my favorite is Tartiflette - slices of boiled potato, reblochon cheese, and fresh crispy bacon bits.

Another one is lightly sauteed spinach with brie.

Ham & gruyere is super easy and always yummy.

If you need sweet versions, try nutella and banana or nutella & strawberries. Well, pretty much nutella and any fruit!

Hope that helps!

Kir Royale
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM

I would love your fig and asiago cheese frittata recipe - sounds yummy!!

Good luck with the lunch.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM

portobello mushrooms, wilted spinach, a few pine nuts, with a smoky tomato broth accompaniment.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
my favorite crepe is too much like your frittata i'm afraid... ham and cheese sometimes with spinach
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I am printing this to take to the store tonight on my way home.

Hi EmBee,
Here is the frittata recipe. It's not my own though. My aunt passed it on to me and I believe she pulled it from an online recipe book.

<b> Fresh Fig and Asiago Cheese Frittata</b>

Notes: If a young or soft textured mild Asiago is not available use Fontina, Harvarti, or any other semi soft, mild cheese with a slight tang.

The filling is very thick so it is easier to finish cooking the frittata under the broiler rather than turning it over in the skillet.

<u>Ingredients</u>
-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
-1/2 cup slivered/diced white onion
-10 large eggs
-1 teaspoon kosher salt
-Freshly ground black pepper to taste
-4 slices slightly salty prosciutto, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
-10 ripe figs, a combination of sizes and colors if available, halved if small and quartered if large
-1/2 cup diced (about 1/4 inch) young mild Asiago cheese, about 2 ounces

<u>Steps </u>
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Watch that onion doesn't carmelize!

2. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, 1/2 cup water, salt, and ground black pepper until blended. Add mixture to the skillet and cook over medium-low heat until mixture just begin to set on the bottom and around the edges, about 5 minutes. Lift the sides of the frittata and tilt the pan so that the raw center flows to the edges. Repeat at different places around the edge of the frittata to make sure it is thoroughly cooked.

3. Sprinkle the frittata with the prosciutto (the center will still be undercooked) and then spread the pieces of figs over the surface of the frittata. Cook, covered, over low heat until the frittata is set, about 10 minutes.

4. Preheat the broiler. Uncover the frittata and sprinkle it evenly with the cheese. Broil just until the top is golden, about 2 minutes.

5. Let stand five to ten minutes before serving. To serve loosen the edges and slide the frittata onto a large platter. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 6 to 8 servings
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM

Thanks so much TexasAggie. My mouth is watering just reading the recipe!!
will try it over the weekend.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:52 PM

How about some crepes with ricotta cheese and melted chocolate, cooked strawberries and dusted with powdered sugar?

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 04:09 PM

Crepes with duck and plum sauce. If duck isn't available the dark meat from a turkey leg is a reasonable substitute both in taste and price.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:19 AM

Another one of those threads of my dreams. Thanks, TA, for sharing the frittata recipe. I can't wait till next fig season. Hope your bridal brunch is a success. How can it be otherwise? Yum. J.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:35 PM

Julia Childs's cr&egrave;pes with a seafood filling are divine.