best car rental dropoff venice

Feb 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

best car rental dropoff venice

We are renting a car in Rome, driving to tuscany and then onto Venice. We plan on spending several days in Venice and then flying out. What's the best car rental drop off in Venice?
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM

We dropped our car off at Piazzale Roma and then got a water taxi to take us to our hotel. There is a vaporetto stop there as well. We had a little trouble finding our drop-off location and it was raining, but other than that it worked fine.
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
ira

Hi P,

You might be able to drrop off at the Mestre train station and take the train into Venice.

You can't drive any farther into Venice than the P. Roma.

Feb 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Some agencies also have a drop (and pick-up I would assume) location at the Tronchetto parking garage. It is a short walk from here to the nearest vaporetti stop. I'd suggest dropping either here or P. Roma if possible rather than Mestre, simply because you can hop right on a vaporetto from either of these drops, whereas from Mestre you still need to take a train to Santa Lucia and then hop on a vaporetto. Not a huge deal, but an unnecessary extra step IMO. I am not sure about P. Roma, but driving into Tronchetto couldn't have been simpler.

You can also drop off at Marco Polo, but this would probably be the least convenient option since it is the farthest away. However, if you are coming in on a Sunday or late at night the airport location may be open when others are closed.
Feb 14th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks. It looks like the Piazzale Roma dropoff makes the most sense. Can I take a vaporetto with 3 chidren, a husband and all of our luggage and strollers?
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Yes, you want Piazzale Roma for the drop. With that brood I would not try the vaporetto---spring for the water taxi.
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I am budgeting for the water taxi!