Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help with broad itinerary - Asolo/ Belluno - Cortina - Slovenia

Feb 11th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Dear all, Its that wonderufl time of year when I can actually start working on the nitty -gritties of the family holiday to Europe for the coming summer.

Since we so love the Dolomities and have gone there 2 years in a row (each time combining with something else - Engadine and Salzammergut last year and Lago Garda and Lago Orta the year before), we were thinking this time of combining it with Slovenia which we have never done before.

Also, we have never visited the part of the Italian mountians that includes nice (I believe) towns like Asolo, Belluno,Bassano del Grappa and Cortina. So, I was thinking about framing an itinerary for us around these places.

We will likley land in to Venice and then hire a car for the complete journey including Slovenia. We are a family of 4 - DH and I and 2 kids - 7 and 3. We will have 15 days and I was thinking about 5 for Italy (none at Venice) and about 5-6 for Slovenia (Lubijiana, Piran, Lake Bed and Bohinj and the caves). We would still have a few days to spare and I am not sure of what to include. I thought of Croatia but am unsure of where to go which is close to Zagreb (where we could fly out of)or maybe just do Zagreb for a couple of days and fly out.

All suggestions are welcome. We do not want to do Austria and Germany (the alps and lakes) since we have done that a lot over the past few years. Also, our hotel budget is about USD 250 or so a night and would love to stay at some nice charming hotels. So please suggest some special hotels too.

Many thanks
Deepa
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Hoping for some replies.....
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Hello Deepa, My my, are your kids that old now? I seem to recall your first trip when the one was a baby.

You always conceive such great trips--much like ones I plan for myself. I wish I had more time but we leave for 3 weeks in New Zealand this week. So, let me f drop some gems.
I love Bassano---we spent 5 nites there one year. Your best choice there is www.ca-sette.it. I also like Albergo Sole in Asolo but the town is very small. Have you ever stayed at the Hotel Adler in Ortisei? We did spend some time in Slovenia but the hotel in Ljubljana was forgetable and we did not stay at Bled--wish we had. We did like Hotel Slovenia in Portoroz on the coast. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress but I will be gone.
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot your reply. Yes, the kids are older but still a lot of work. You know how they will in the same day (or hour) say the cutest thing and make you almost cry and also get you so worked up that you wonder how a child that small could push you that hard!

On the trip, will keep you posted. Have not stayed at the Adler but I know of it (I am on their mailing list). We were thinking of maybe not going much that side this time and sticking with the places like Bassano (which I know you love)and Cortina etc. Will look into the hotel on Lake Bled. Would love more info on Slovenia (have read your report already)and on whether Zagreb makes sense for a couple of days. I would love to go to Dubrovonik but it is too far to drive.

Enjoy New Zealand. Beautiful country and lovely people!Hope you are doing a lot of the south island which we enjoyed much more than the north.
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Hi Deepa - Another trip to the Dolomites? Hey - now you know why I keep going back year after year

Cortina would be a good base for the eastern Dolomites - and you can do some lovely drives from there into the Cadore area or up to the Sesto Dolomites/Braies*Park area.

Like Bob I love Bassano - but it's not a mountain town. You're not expecting Dolomites scenery there, are you? It's barely in the foothills and not much above sea-level. Same applies to Asolo.

It certainly combines well with Slovenia and the beautiful Lake Bled/Bohinj area. Sounds like another great trip to me ...

Steve
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Hey Bob - 3 weeks in NZ? That sounds like a great holiday.

Have a wonderful trip!

Steve
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Grazie Steve !
My back is already hurting.
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Will Deepa have any trouble taking a rental car from Venice into Slovenia?
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying Steve. We have done all your driving routes for 2 years in a row other than the A22 one. I am thrilled to know that there are still more beautiful places in the Dolomities for us to discover. I realise that Bassano will not be in the mountians but there must be good reason that so many recomend it and anyway it is on our way to Cortina. Any recos for hotels in the eastern Dolomities?

Please, please let me have more info on Slovenia. We are thinking about 2-3 nights in Lubijinana (day trips?) and then another 3 nights some place else. Also, would Zagreb be a good fit into the itinerary?

On the car, I believe we are able to take in a hired car into Slovenia but will have to pay a hefty charge for dropping it off there or in Croatia. Have to do more research on that.
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I'm glad to know you managed to use some of the drives, Deepa. I've posted them several times and wondered if anybody ever used them.

If you're starting from Bassano you can do a lovely drive up to Cortina from there via San Martino di Castozza, Passo Rolle, Colle di S Lucia ...

Would you believe - in all my trips I've never actually stayed in Cortina as I nearly always head further west - Val Badia/ Val Gardena.

I could recommend a hotel in Corvara - but maybe you've done that area already. I suggest you re-post for Cortina hotel recommendations if you you prefer to stay there ...

It's best if you post a new thread for Slovenia too, I think - you'll get better advice than from me. I spent a delightful week in the Bled/Bohinj area and can recommend it.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Steve, You can rest assured that your driving recos have been put to very, very good use. For e.g. questions like 'have you taken Steve's driving routes papers?' are asked just when heading out in the mornings for the day.

I guess we should have two hotels then for that area. One in Bassano and one in Cortina? Or do you think we could cover the area through day trips from Bassano or vice-versa? I know we should do the route you mentioned and the drive you mentioned before including Lake Braies. If there are any more ideas for that area, please do share.

Will post a separate post for Slovenia and Zagreb.

Many thanks
Deepa
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Steve, I have been researching all day today and have come across what looks like a fabulous family hotel (Karen Brwon recommended) in Sesto. Is that a good location for the Eastern Dolomites instead of Cortina which seems rather expensive?
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Hi Deepa - If you've found a hotel you like I'd say .... go for it!

Sesto's only about 45 mins from Cortina - so you can basically do the same trips from each.

It's a typical small Tyrolean village with a strong Austrian feel (- don't expect to hear any Italian) - but that's true of most of northern Dolomites villages anyway.

It's only minor disadvantage is that it's in an isolated valley ... so you will keep repeating the same road to go anywhere. But don't let that deter you - it's a lovely area.

Have a look:

http://www.drei-zinnen.info/photogal...05&ResultID=89

http://www.dolomiti.it/eng/zone/pusteria/foto.htm

http://www.sesto.it/en/index.asp

http://www.dolomiti.it/eng/zone/pusteria/dx.htm

Probably ideal for maybe 4 days, I think. How long did you plan to stay?

The highlight of the area for me is undoubtedly Lake Braies - IMO the most beautiful lake in Italy. Nearby Prato Piazza is also worth a detour. You can spend a whole day in that area ...

The lakes at Dobbiaco and Anterselva are also lovely. And don't miss Val Fiscalina - starting point for the Tre Cime di Lavaredo.

Then you could do some of the passes drives via Cortina - Tre Croci, Passo di Giau to Colle S. Lucia, /Valparola Falzarego & Val Badia - if you haven't already done them.

And you're on the border there - so there are options into the Austrian Dolomites ...

Lots of nice lift rides too. Really you can't go wrong ...

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve