Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden

Old Jan 20th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden

Greetings fellow travelers!
I am planning our trip for this Sept. 2017. We (Husband and I) are starting with a Switzerland tour that ends in Bern, then to Munich (4 nights), Nuremberg (1 week, family there), Dresden 3 nights and home from Amsterdam. Here are my questions so far:

1. a. What is the best transportation from Bern to Munich, our next destination. Seems like planes are expensive and trains time consuming but maybe the best?
b. Anyone used/heard about BlaBla Car? Sounds similar to Uber or Lyft. Not sure about that but it's
ride sharing, city to city and cheap.

2. We will spend 3 nights in Dresden at the end of our trip. Found hotels I like in both the center of old town and across the bridge in the new town but feel unsure which area? Liking the Bulow Palais and Bulow Residenz (new town) but also The Suitess (old town).

3. We will have 2 full and 2 half days in Dresden. Not enough time I think! Any recommendations on a wine tour/tasting nearby? We will of course want to see some of the castles and museums as well. I can already tell it will be hard to pick and choose what to do with so many options! Good problem to have right?! I have already copied a bunch of suggestions from previous posters to research and narrow down what to do. Not much about wine that I've seen yet though.

Thank you in advance for your help/advice!! Happy Travels!
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 04:28 PM

BlaBla Car is just the newer version of long-distance ride sharing which has been around in Germany since Stone Age (i.e. even before I went to college).
The difference with regard to Uber is that you do not have "anonymous" drivers that respond on the spot to your call but you book one or more seats in someone's car who will be traveling in x days or weeks from Bern to Munich.
And you only pay the fixed amount of money for your share of gas (plus a fee) - but there is no surge pricing.
You may also share the ride with other passengers, so you won't necessarily have the car all for yourself (well, and the driver).
And the driver will NOT necessarily drive you to YOUR final destination in Munich but a given - usually centrally located or a subway stop - drop-off point. You cannot expect to be dropped off at the doorstep of your hotel - unless you make that arrangement with the driver before you book.
If someone puts a ride from Bern to Munich on BlaBla, it does not necessarily mean that he will start in Bern. It could as well be that he starts in Geneva and offers several pick-up locations en route, e.g. Bern and Zurich. In that case it can happen that the driver will show up late in Bern if he got into heavy traffic from Geneva. Just like a bus would be late in that case. And may make another stop in Zurich to pick up another passenger. You should find this info when you look into the respective offers.
Anyway, you should allow for a certain flexibility - BlaBla drivers are not professional door-to-door taxi services.
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 04:35 PM

Bern - Munich by train + bus can take as little as 5:17 - train Bern dp 10:02 (track 2)- ar Zürich HB 10:58 (track 34). Exit the station, walk 7 minutes to Sihlquai, ICB Intercity Bus 42226 dp 11:16, ar. Munich ZOB (Central Bus Station Hackerbrücke) 14:59. That is a ways from the central train station called München HB (HB is short for Hauptbahnhof = principal station, often also abbreviated as Hbf).

For this and other connections, look at www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html

For flights Bern - Munich look at https://www.flyskywork.com/en

More flights from Zürich airport (ZRH) - trains to ZRH from Bern are also at www.sbb.ch/en/timetable.html
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 01:15 AM

Take the train from Bern to Munich. If you book a fix train then saver fares start at 39 Euro per person. Check www.bahn.de

Dresden: The hotels on the old town side (like Suitess) are right in the middle of the touristy highlights. Be prepared to see a lot of construction sites. If you like short distances and don't mind the crowds then this is perfect for you. The "new town" across the river has more charm as it was widely untouched by the bombing. Both Bülow hotels are in a charming area with boutiques, galleries, cafes, restaurants etc. They are also in walking distance to railway station Dresden-Neustadt (from the old town you must take a tram or taxi to the main railway station).

This wine shop: http://www.saechsische-vinothek.de/f...irche-dresden/
is behind Frauenkirche (in the same block as Hotel Suitess, but backside). They offer wine tastings (just walk in) and also tours through the vineyards outside Dresden upon reservation in advance. Excellent selection of Saxon Wines!

The Saxon State Winery: http://www.schloss-wackerbarth.de/englisch/
in Radebeul, a small town adjacent to Dresden, offers tours, tastings, shopping. Beautiful estate!

There are more wineries in Radebeul, like castle Hofloessnitz (museum, organic wines), Stefan Aust, Drei Herren ... all of them in Oberlössnitz district close to one another.

Right in Dresden is the winery Dr. Lutz Müller, on the grounds of Schloss Albrechtsberg: http://www.winzer-mueller.de/
Tastings (also combinations of wine and cheese, sparkling wine etc.) in the cellar and walking tour through the vineyard with wine tasting. Email him, the website is in German only.

My favourite winery is Zimmerling in Dresden-Pillnitz:
http://www.weingut-zimmerling.de/de/startseite/
(organic wines, but without certification)

More options in Meissen - right on the Markt square in the old town are at least two wine shops where you can do tastings. Across the river is the Winzergenossenschaft (wine growers' coop) with tours through the cellars and tastings/shop. http://www.winzer-meissen.de/weinerl...3_kkmenue.html
(German only)
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 04:18 AM

Take the direct bus Bern Neufeld bus stop - Munich ZOB. 5 1/2 hrs journey. Usually 2 buses daily. Web fares start at 17 EUR.
https://shop.flixbus.com/

The door to door journey via Berne airport - Munich airport is only slighty faster, but 7times more expensive.
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!
How nice to log in and see so much great information, thank you!

Cowboy1968 - Good to know this company is legit. It seems it could be a bit of a gamble depending on driver/traffic etc....but nice to know it's a viable option!
I had never heard of them, lol!

michelhuebeli and neckervd - Really appreciate the links; will check them all out for sure! Sounds like bus and/or train is the way to go. Flights are so much more expensive and all things factored in will take as much/more time in the end.

Ingo - You are amazing! Wow! Lots of choices and options for wine, I'm excited! You helped me decide to stay in the new town! :0) Dresden has been on my bucket list for a long time, can't wait to see it! Do you, by chance, have any restaurant recommendation for us that would accomodate one vegetarian (me)? I usually end up eating lots of salad and fries, lol!! PS Do you tour guide there? If so, I want to hire you! xo

Thanks again, it's so awesome when people take the time (never enough these days) and share their experience and advice with others!!
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM

DoxyLover77, thanks, glad to hear you like my recommendations.

My favourite vegetarian restaurant in Dresden is Brennessel, only a 5 minutes walk from Zwinger: www.brennessel-dresden.de

Another very good option (mostly organic) is ladencafe aha in the old town, left side of Kreuzkirche if you're in front of the main entrance: www.ladencafe.de

In the new town, in the *in*-district Hechtviertel, is a vegan restaurant: www.falscher-hase.com

Generally speaking, there are quite some vegetarian restaurants in the new town - the so called "nightlife" district has lots of ethnic restaurants, usually with large variety of vegetarian/vegan food. Some examples:
Creperie La Galette, Rothenburger Straße 9 www.creperie-dresden.de
Tiki's Ice cream, several vegan sorts, Kunsthofpassage, Görlitzer Str.
Jaipur (Indian) Louisenstraße 59 www.jaipur-dresden.de
Devil’s Kitchen (2/3 vegetarian) Alaunstraße 39, www.devils-kitchen.eu
Lotus Bio Imbiss (snacks, soups), Louisenstraße 58,
www.Lotus-Bio-Imbiss.de
Café v-cake, Rothenburger Straße 14 (closed Mondays)
https://www.facebook.com/cafe.vcake

Sometimes I do tour guide for friends (have met wonderful people through Fodor's) and free ;-)
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 08:53 PM

DoxyLover77,

I'd just like to add a caution about those long-distance busses, both the DB busses and the Flixbusses.

Because they run on the highways (doh!), they are subject to getting stuck in traffic. I live south of Munich, and I've taken the Flixbus several times (about 5x) to/from Munich or Innsbruck. In three cases, the bus was seriously late arriving, like 1h or 2h late. A friend of mine took the Flixbus to the airport, and it was 45 minutes late, and she almost missed her flight. The traffic getting into or out of Munich can be overwhelming.

In contrast, the train is usually on time, or maybe 5 minutes or 10 minutes late. The ICE trains travel up to 299 km/hour, so it can be quite fun. And fast!

Anyway, just one thing to keep in mind.

Have fun planning!

s
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, Thanks again for the great recommendations! :0) You rock! I am taking notes....maybe we can meet up and buy you a beer or glass of wine!

swandav2000 - Good food for thought on the bus. 3 late arrivals out of 5 isn't a great record for them....I'm just starting this research (too early to book trains) and thought I would need to bus to Zurich to catch the train but Ingo says there is a train from Bern to Zurich where I assume we would connect on to Munich. Will compare routes, times and cost between bus and/or train. Not planning on flying at this point.

Thank you both very much!! Happy Travels!
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 09:05 PM

Hi again,

Just use the German rail site to find the schedules for all your trips -- it's in English, and it's dead-easy to use:

www.bahn.com

I live south of Munich, and I took the train from here to Dresden, no problem. I visit Switzerland often, and often take the train to get there.

s